ROCKER ARM ALIGNMENT QUESTION

73 Sanger Flat

I am going to have to try some adjustable guide plate . The ones that came on the new heads are not going to work .. Picking up a set today from EO and hoping they will work.. No way I going to install in the boat like this

73 Sanger Flat

Once I get the alignment fixed , then I need to work on the push rod length .. I think these may be just a little too long according to the wear pattern on the valve stem .. I will just have to buy some different length one to try .. No way I will be able to get my checker springs on these heads .. I can not remove those new triple springs that are over 800 lbs of pressure that are on the heads now ..

duanehydro

Dart makes a neat set of adjustable guide plates...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dart-27001230-4-Adjustable-Guide-Plates-/310959902333?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4866a78e7d&vxp=mtr

73 Sanger Flat

That is what i am picking up from EO today .. Not sure they will fit the Brodix 3 Extra heads though.. I will find out tonight ..
Who  has cheap pushrod that I can buy for just checking the length , once I get that , i will but Smith Brother ones in with either .0120 or .140 walls
Going to need a few in sizes from 8.85 to 9.0 and then 9.8 to 9.95

73 Sanger Flat

Tim-- I have the ones for the standard deck BBC , but not sure they will extend out that far for a tall deck BBC .. Plus I think these triple spring will snap it into if I roll it over with the test pushrod in it .. So may have to make a couple of pushrod out of some old ones and just weld them up and see what i get that way ..

Disturbed

I guess you could always make one.  Take a old pushrod, cut it fairly short on each end (1 inch or so, tap them, all thread to a turn buckle, and viola.  Pushrod tool.  I don't think it would snap. 

73 Sanger Flat

Was thinking of trying that also .. one problem is the intake is on and it will have to slide down the pushrod hole in the head .. I bet I get something to work ..

I like Tim's idea! Take the intake off, ain't nothing but two gaskets, plus you can be for sure when it on top! Just safer and better with it off!! $30 gaskets ain't worth a redo! .02

73 Sanger Flat

I will pull the intake if I need to  , But prefer not to at this point .. The push rods are close right now on the length .. So if I can get a couple of ones that are just a little shorter to try for cheap , I will go that route .. If not I may have to pull the intake ..
The location of contact is pretty close , just the contact area is a little to wide , but it is not bad ..

jimsplace

It's seldom the push rod guides will place the rocker arms where they belong.
Until the adjustable push rod guides came out, it was common practice to take the existing push rod guides
off and cut them almost all the way through and bend them at that point until the push rods and rocker arms were where they needed to be.

It's been my experience that nothing fits the way it should using aftermarket parts.
Thats why they are called custom built engines and so expensive.
Everything needs to be fitted.

I don't know if the push rod checker would snap or not, mine didn't.
It just bent.

My friends that I told, just looked at me and laughed.
A few things were said that made me aware it was not a smart thing to do.
No one called me a dumb ass, or at least while I was there.
I know the thought went through their minds.

If you use a checker push rod, use checker springs.  Trust me.
  :smile17:

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Was thinking of trying that also .. one problem is the intake is on and it will have to slide down the pushrod hole in the head .. I bet I get something to work ..

Just a thought, because I haven't tried it.
I would be concerned that the all thread would have to be a very small diameter to fit in a push rod that had been taped.
I wouldn't think it would be strong enough.
  think.gif

73 Sanger Flat

I worked on it a little yesterday after work and was able to get all but the intake on number one cylinder to all line up with the adjustable guide plates .. That number one intake is not going to line up without pulling the head back off and doing some grinding on the head to allow the pushrod some more room ..I will be working on the even side today with the adjustable guideplate to see how they line up .. It is a shame that they would not know this before they send a set of heads out to a customer . It does say to mock the head up and check for clearance .. But why should you have to do that .. I am a shade tree mechanic and this is going to be a big pain for me to fix.. But I will pull them off and buy the tools to grind enough clearance to make them work .. I will not run it with one rocker not line up correctly .. It is close but not close enough for me .. Oh well -- learned another lesson
I need to buy a longer pushrod checker that will work on this or borrow one if some one has one around the DFW area..  .. One of mine will work but the other one comes up short .. Need one to measure 9.5-10.5..or something that will work on a tall deck Chevy .. I borrowed a spring compressor and I will be able to change the springs and put the checker springs on if I need to .. But looks like I am pulling at least one heads off anyway .. Billy

EOSpeed

ALIGN THEM THE BEST YOU CAN AND PUT SOME LASH CAPS AND RUN IT. THE ROCKER WILL HIT THE ROCKER STUD WITH A PUSH ROD THAT WILL CENTER IT. THE LASH CAP WILL MOVE IT UP.
                                                    :smile17:

73 Sanger Flat

WE thought about that also .. I only have one that does not want to line up good .. The pushrod is hitting the head on the right side of the pushrod .. If I cut maybe 1/8 inch clearance in the head then It will clear fine .. If I am  understanding the lash cap will help to keep the rocker on the tip of the valve stem correct ??  I would then need to order shorter pushrod to accommodate for the lash caps

73 Sanger Flat

Got this off of performance Boats .. Thought it might be useful ..
Shoot for the narrowest sweep, don't concerned with where it falls, so long it does't walk off the valve stem.If you want to do the "RIGHT" way, Patriot 320 Followup and rocker geometry 101

73 Sanger Flat

Jim
Do you have the adjustable pushrod checker that will go out to 10.0.. If so can I borrow it .. And no I will not use it unless I have the checker springs on the heads .. Wayne let me borrow his spring compressor so I can change the springs .. If you have the push rod checker , is it the one that is calibrated for every turn it is .050 or is it just the one that you adjust out and then have to use a caliber to measure .. Either way ,, Can I borrow it .. I am not making it Saturday to the races , but going Sunday .. My Dad is going Saturday and thinking maybe you could give it to him ..
Let me know.. Trying to get thsi all figure out so i can get my engine back together .. My pushrod checker is too short .. one will work but the other one is too short .. They are for a regular deck chevy
Thanks Jim
I tried to PM this to you but it could not find you for the PM .. ????

73 Sanger Flat

Just ordered me a couple of the Comp Cam pushrod checkers and ordered me some deburring tools , so maybe next week I can have the Valve train geometry all done ..
Only going to need to clearance maybe 3-4 spots on the head to get the alignment perfect .. Hopefully this will be easy to do .. Going to try and use the shop vac and not pull the heads ,cover the valley really good with plastic and tape it off .. but may have to pull them if I don't think it is  keeping the shavings out of the engine . .. We will see next week ..