Pump packing seal replacement

stickman07

I'm guessing my packing seal needs to be replaced. I've tighten'd it several times but still leaks a lot. Can this be done on a 12JG while in the boat or does it have to be pulled ?? How tight is good or too tight ?? If it can be done in the boat, if anyone coming to RTC this weekend could do it, I would pay to have it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S bought with UNION Dollars ! 🇺🇸🚒

Crusader

Its not that difficult to do. You'll need a "pick" to get the old seals out...four of them. Then you'll place the four new ones in one at a time with the ends of each seal about 90 degrees from each other.

SimplyOrange

do it while in the boat, the shaft will align the seals, .i tighten mine until there a little resistance on the shaft when turning by hand, that means it is sealed good and it will compress and wear as you use it. my bilg stays bone dry so it must work.

KONA77

the packing should be tightened to one drip per minute at idle while in the water,  the packing needs some water to keep lubercated to keep from overheating

jimsplace

KONA said:
the packing should be tightened to one drip per minute at idle while in the water,  the packing needs some water to keep lubercated to keep from overheating

Jet boats are supposed to leak?
    crazy.gif

FormulaZR

You just need a dental type pick/o-ring pick, new rope seals, some grease, and 30-90 minutes of your time (depending on access and skill); My first packing seal replacement took about 45 minutes, and 30 minutes of it was just picking the old rope out!

BTW - there's a seal out now that not supposed to ever need to be replaced...anyone used it? I just looked for it again, and can't find it...

Becket

FormulaZR said:
You just need a dental type pick/o-ring pick, new rope seals, some grease, and 30-90 minutes of your time (depending on access and skill); My first packing seal replacement took about 45 minutes, and 30 minutes of it was just picking the old rope out!

BTW - there's a seal out now that not supposed to ever need to be replaced...anyone used it? I just looked for it again, and can't find it...
I am not gonna say not to use this type BUT, Be cautious, we did try a "forever" type rope on our pumps on another Rig I was on and it was very hard on the shaft, caused them to wear very bad. Just what I have experienced with them.

I let mine leak while sitting without Mill running, it leaks more when running but not enough to spray, We have found that a drip a min while operating just ain't enough, Keep in mind these pumps run for months without stopping but we let them drip to a point where you could call it a constant flow. (small flow, more like heavy dribble) 

SimplyOrange

well i just learned something, min only has about 30 minutes of run time on the new seals, i guess ill loosen them up and watch for a dribble.

spd500

From what I understand it will cause wear on the shaft if the seals are too tight . I have a shaft that is worn that I will take some pics of tonight when I get home .

Becket

spd500 said:
From what I understand it will cause wear on the shaft if the seals are too tight . I have a shaft that is worn that I will take some pics of tonight when I get home .
Both are correct, to tight= hot shaft, they MUST leak. (HAHA! Hot shaft, this thread will go down hill fast!)

spd500

Gas-Hole said:
spd500 said:
Both are correct, to tight= hot shaft, they MUST leak. (HAHA! Hot shaft, this thread will go down hill fast!)

Is that the same as Henry's hot tube ?  think.gif

Becket

spd500 said:
Gas-Hole said:
spd500 said:

Is that the same as Henry's hot tube ?  think.gif
SEE! straight south!!

Becket

Keep in mind that they leak for more than cooling, the water that goes through the seal also serves to keep the trash (sand, mud ect.ect) flushed out of the rope. if you run up on sand, the sand WILL get into the rope seal and must be flushed out, if it aint leakin, it aint flushin!

KONA77

FormulaZR said:

didn't read every post after this one,  but gonna rely,  i haven't used it "yet"  know a few that has,  and when it's time to replace the rope seal in mine,  I'm gonna try that seal,  on another note,  the rope seals in mine are now almost 9 yrs old and still performing great  :smile16: