Prop vent tubes

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I guess the real idea is that it will allow air to escape if it cavitates? :smile21:

John

no it pulls air down to aerate the prop to control the cavitation

this is not an issue on most boats

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Pulls air down? So does it allow the prop to cavitate to get some rpm built up? Kind of like rollout on a drag car? think.gif think.gif

Devilman

kinda sorta.. can read thru this to see what folks say about it: http://www.riverracer.net/forums/showthread.php?49109-Venting-the-prop

jimsplace

It sounds like a reworked or a different prop would be the better fix.

How do you know where to vent with the currently prop?
I'm currious how it will work out.

scarabscs

Its usually only done on larger boats that are slow to break over onto plane that run extremely large pitch props for big speed.  And yea, it just lets the prop suck some air from above water to cavitate a bit and get the rpms up.  Once they break over on plane and bite the rpms come back down. 

John

scarabscs said:
Its usually only done on larger boats that are slow to break over onto plane that run extremely large pitch props for big speed.  And yea, it just lets the prop suck some air from above water to cavitate a bit and get the rpms up.  Once they break over on plane and bite the rpms come back down. 

Translation for Patch

YOU WILL NEVER NEED IT!!!!!

scarabscs

Ive got a jack plate at the house ill make you a smoking deal on.  That will get you atleast 4 or 5 mph, and fix your porpoise problems  :smile28:  lemme know!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if a jack plate will help. I think I'm trying to push a brick through the water, and it's fighting me! crazy.gif