Prop vent tubes

Devilman

I have heard/read about something along those lines, but not sure if its the same thing you may be talking about. You may want to hear it from the outdrive guys, but I will be curious if I am right.

Devilman

and why do you care anyway, that fishing rig ain't gonna go no faster. You may as well be talking about flipping the lid over on the air cleaner. You know its working cuz when you stomp on it it goes woo- WHOOOOO..... lol

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm taking the engine cover off the fishing rig! That ought to be worth some HP. It cavitates real bad, so I need all the tricks I can get! :smile30:

scarabscs

I belive they are to help get air to the prop for boats that are slow to get on plane.  Typically they are for boats that run large pitch props.  By addint a vent to the prop area, you reduce the vacum the prop creates under water, and allow controllable slippage.  This gets your rpms up a bit and gets you on plane.  Once on plane the prop is running near the water surface so the vent is surfaced and does not have any effect on performance.

John

to fix cavitation problems, lower your x-dimension, add a splash plate, and go to a four blade, and add trim tabs

oh and make sure your drive is all the way down, its not a jet

Devilman

scarabscs said:
I belive they are to help get air to the prop for boats that are slow to get on plane.  Typically they are for boats that run large pitch props.  By addint a vent to the prop area, you reduce the vacum the prop creates under water, and allow controllable slippage.  This gets your rpms up a bit and gets you on plane.  Once on plane the prop is running near the water surface so the vent is surfaced and does not have any effect on performance.

This is the explanation I have seen. I have also seen people talk about venting the prop itself. There was a lively thread on that on RDP awhile back. :cheesy:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
John said:
to fix cavitation problems, lower your x-dimension, add a splash plate, and go to a four blade, and add trim tabs

oh and make sure your drive is all the way down, its not a jet
It's an outboard with no trim. I did ad a hydrofoil, I'm sure that was worth a couple of knots! crazy.gif I did see the exact same boat on CL with some aluminum trim tabs. Mite have to investigate that idea! 37 mph is just not enough speed for me! :smile16:

scarabscs

Put that speed prop I gave you on it!!!!  Might have to hammer a few dents out of it, but shell run  :smile27:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
scarabscs said:
Put that speed prop I gave you on it!!!!  Might have to hammer a few dents out of it, but shell run  :smile27:
I have to fix the infamous Patch porpoise problem first. Then I can hall the mail! Got to beat Disturbed to the lucky fishing holes! :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
scarabscs said:
Yea, you just need trim.  Or power through the porpoise!  jump.gif
I tried to power through the porpoise once before on the Sanger! It decided to start taking flight, so I'm not one to power through it. :smile20:

Devilman

The Sanger tried to take flight? Maybe if you didn't tie it down to the trailer & went across some big bumps or something.... :rolleyes: :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
No, the faster you went, the higher it went. Not like flip over or anything like that, just stayed flat and beat the crap out of you! Hell even with Trey on the bow, it still jumped around. crazy.gif

Disturbed

Patchman said:
scarabscs said:
I have to fix the infamous Patch porpoise problem first. Then I can hall the mail! Got to beat Disturbed to the lucky fishing holes! :grin:
Doesn't matter how fast your boat is if you don't know where you're going. 

jdeaton

I looked up the definition of Prop Vent Tube, in my daughters Yogi instructors guide book.  It says a Prop Vent Tube is a underground train (subway) in England that is reserved for stressed out props to vent their aggression's.  Any questions? :smile30:

DiamondJim said:
I looked up the definition of Prop Vent Tube, in my daughters Yogi instructors guide book.  It says a Prop Vent Tube is a underground train (subway) in England that is reserved for stressed out props to vent their aggression's.  Any questions? :smile30:

:smile26: :smile22: