progress on Tossin' and Turnin'

Thanks everyone! I'll install motor, plumb and wire next days off. The only tuff job left is cutting driveshaft and balancing it. I don't mind saying, I cut wood for interior, he cut foam and vinyl, assembled it all for 800 bucks.

Here are a few pics of steel head motor. Aluminum pro-comp heads I bought used were bad. Cracked on intake runner and rocker pedestal geometry warpped. The guy I bought them from said he ran them for a year after he had them repaired! He was burning oil and getting full use of only 7 cylinders if he did run 'em. Anyway motors in!

old man river

Photos of it on the water coming soon, I hope! Working in Ohio right now.

Attachments

• VID_197660114_122629_896.mp4
    25.8 MB · Views: 77

old man river

jump.gif This project took 14 long unbelieveable years to build from a bare hull I bought from Randall in July of 2005. I am so happy. Thanks to all of you for the help and encouragement. Still trying props out. Running an 11 1/2 X 16. seems fast but motor will only turn 5500 rpm. (built to turn 6500)

Attachments

• Medina Lake Boatramp.jpg
    Medina Lake Boatramp.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Devilman

Man that thing sure looks nice. Congrats on getting it on the water. Now it's time to have fun with it. clap.gif :smile17:

jimsplace

Congratulations on getting it going, it'll be fun.

You say it'll turn 5500 and you'd prefer 6500.
You have basically two options, maybe more, but one is to change gears in the V-Drive to a lower gear and the other is run a smaller prop.
Is it a two or three blade prop?
Many flatbottom's run something closer to a 11" pitch if it's a 16" prop.  16" is a popular diameter, but the 11 1/2" would generally be more for a heavier boat.  The 11 1/2" may want to man-handle the boat on hard acceleration.  IMO

old man river

I'm running 22's in the split case. 11 1/2 diameter X 16 pitch with no cup on a 2 blade stainless. I've got a 11 1/4" X 15 2 blade SS. I may cut it down to 11 inches and put a cup on the 15 pitch and see how she acts after I try it like it is first. Right now, she takes a good set and the cav plate moves the bow up and down easily. The motor dynoed @ 570hp and 655 #/' torque. Just feel like I should have more speed. 19% slip table calcs says 80+ mph. I'm a tunnel hull jet convert to v-drive. 80mph in a jet boat took alot more motor and felt faster than what I felt in the flatty. GPS flashed from 75-88mph. I do like the way the flatty gets on top of the water and is at speed in just a couple of seconds. I'm learning alot everytime I take her out. I lost my Dad, he was my tech guru. He's the reason I switched. He built a Glen L Missle back in the early 60's with a 425 nailhead power. I live close to Bandera if anyone wants to loan/ swap or sell any props.

jimsplace

Try the 11 1/4 X 15 as it is before you cut it down.  Many true flats use a 15 inch pitch prop and something near the 11 1/4 diameter.

I don't know if you've dye checked the props for cracks, but I would highly recommend it.  It doesn't take long, nor cost much but it could prevent breaking an ear off.  That gets expensive.

If you haven't already done it, get in touch with JJ Beaver.  He's one of, if not the most knowledgeable people on V-Drives in the country. (For real) 

old man river

JJ rebuilt my split case. I had the props magna fluxed. They are good, I'll try the other prop and post an update. Thanks for all the help. Jerry