OXIDATION HELP

waterwalker

OK Not sure where to post this...
Really need some help removing oxidation. Seems there are a few "you tube" vids showing this. Of course they are ads but... Any one used this Buff Magic?? It is not cheap!

Thanks...and if there is a thread please direct me.

http://shurhold.com/marine/yacht-brite-chemicals/fiberglass-restoration/buff-magic?gclid=CI30_syFsbECFcldTAod3DUApA

txliberator

I've never used it but have read good reviews and recommendations of it. I used 3M micro buffing compound followed by 3M finesse it II. When that wouldn't cut it I wet sanded.

Becket

waterwalker said:
Really need some help removing oxidation. Seems there are a few "you tube" vids showing this. Of course they are ads but... Any one used this Buff Magic?? It is not cheap!

http://shurhold.com/marine/yacht-brite-chemicals/fiberglass-restoration/buff-magic?gclid=CI30_syFsbECFcldTAod3DUApA
Heavy Ox? Got some pic's? I use CLR on most things that are Oxidized but it may not work in your case.

(note; CLR works great for cleaning your headers after a day on the water)

waterwalker

Gas-Hole said:
waterwalker said:

Heavy Ox? Got some pic's? I use CLR on most things that are Oxidized but it may not work in your case.

(note; CLR works great for cleaning your headers after a day on the water)

NO pics yet. Didn't think of CLR. That stuff worked great on an old Jayco 5th Wheel I had. The oxidation is on a ski boat that we use when I can't wrangle the Southwind from my son...that's about all the time.

ChryslerJet

WAFOBABY said:
ELBOW grease LOL  and you look better in the ski boat LMAO !
LOL

Try a buffer and some buffing and polishing compounds only wet sand if its too thick of oxidation.  I have heard good things about vertiglass too but nothing works like a little old fashioned hard work.

stickman07

Look up Performance Boat Candy. They make the compounds and waxes you are looking for. Just ordered from them and their products and service is great.

Sent from my iPhone 4S bought with UNION Dollars ! 🇺🇸🚒

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Hey Mike, There are no shortcuts really when it comes to oxidation.  If the oxidation is light I have had good luck with the Meguires marine line of products.  Gary used them on his new Daytona as well and the results were fantastic.  His oxidation was pretty light.  If it is much oxidation at all wet sanding is by far the easiest and quickest solution IMO.  There are several examples here of what a good wet sand, buff and polish can accomplish.

http://forum.jetboatperformance.biz/index.php/topic,1108.0.html

stickman07

Check out the videos on www.performanceboatcandy.com

Sent from my iPhone 4S bought with UNION Dollars ! 🇺🇸🚒

Shrek

Nu-Finish car wax and a buffer
When that is done use some Maguiars spray on wax and wipe down.
Looks like a detail shop did it and if you own a buffer, you only spent 20 bucks.

ChryslerJet

Shrek said:
Nu-Finish car wax and a buffer
When that is done use some Maguiars spray on wax and wipe down.
Looks like a detail shop did it and if you own a buffer, you only spent 20 bucks.
If you dont own a buffer harbor frieght has a variable speed one for $29.99 with the coupon on the mailer in sundays paper

waterwalker

ChryslerJet said:
WAFOBABY said:
ELBOW grease LOL  and you look better in the ski boat LMAO !
LOL

Try a buffer and some buffing and polishing compounds only wet sand if its too thick of oxidation.  I have heard good things about vertiglass too but nothing works like a little old fashioned hard work.

Thanks for all the comments. I don't have any elbows left for "elbow grease and hard work". Did the buffing/compound last year, yet it didn't hold for more than a season. After summer I will strip off all items down to hull and go to work on it.

Matt- maybe it would be good muscle therapy for you if you did the elbow grease stuff.

Again- I'll check out the sites. Thanks

KONA77

if your trying to save gel coat,  gonna take  more than one app and one year,  i saved a 73 glastron with a little effort,  but that's me  :grin:

waterwalker

KONA said:
if your trying to save gel coat,  gonna take  more than one app and one year,  i saved a 73 glastron with a little effort,  but that's me  :grin:

I have to get past the oxidation and what little shine I see to even think about seeing the condition of the real surface. As it stands now I am just reading, taking suggestions and will get to the oxidation after all the interior is done. This is the 1st boat I have ever thought about redoing to ANY degree.

KONA77

here's some experience first hand,    i use a 3m  product called "PERFECT-IT"  i had a client that left his boat with me,  and when he came to pick it up he asked me what he could do to remove the oxidation (salt water oxidation) from his gel coat,  so i walked into the shop got my bottle and a rag and showed him...    told him now get after it  :grin:

ChryslerJet

KONA said:
here's some experience first hand,    i use a 3m  product called "PERFECT-IT"  i had a client that left his boat with me,  and when he came to pick it up he asked me what he could do to remove the oxidation (salt water oxidation) from his gel coat,  so i walked into the shop got my bottle and a rag and showed him...    told him now get after it  :grin:
There you go first hand experience

Kona way to go jump.gif

waterwalker

KONA said:

Hmmm...Can you show me? Oh if you ask Jasson (wafo) I'm a slow learner so it just might be done by the time I catch on to what your doing!! 
                                                                          crazy.gif

Thanks for the info too! 

WAFOBABY

Kona were did you get that stuff called PERFECT IT ? I have herd of it before but never seen it.  Most of all 3m stuff is damn good.

KONA77

WAFOBABY said:
Kona were did you get that stuff called PERFECT IT ? I have herd of it before but never seen it.  Most of all 3m stuff is damn good.

here I get it at the Auto parts store (car quest & napa)  they sell auto finishing supplies,  I use this stuff for just about all the polishing projects.  from aluminum to chrome,  paint to gel coat  :smile16: