Notes For Next Motor Build.....

blazeracer

Just saying anyway, will probably end up building a ported cathedral head 6.0 and put my 5.3 on the stand as a backup. then I can use all my EFI stuff on it. If I use rectangle port heads I have to change the intake, which will not accept my injectors, so I have to change them, which will not work on my harness, so I have to change that. If I decide to switch to a cable throttle body then I would have to do all that anyway.

Hmmm, so many choices out of that little small block.

spd500

Yeah , when I thought about it I decided that there was no way you could finish it for $1500 .

But the one I posted could be ready to drop in for about $1500 , maybe a little more depending on what the used parts sell for and what all you decide to upgrade . I would expect to recover about $800-$900 from the sale of the computer , harness , and transmission . And the only upgrades I would do to add boost would be ARP bolts and forged pistons . The stock crank and rods have held up to 1000hp in lots of motors on the street and track .

spd500

Oh yeah , patch . I really like the new avatar  :smile30: makes me wish I was a kitty  jump.gif

blazeracer

This could actually find it's way into the Glastron next season. A junk yard LQ4 with this in it.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNATI-LS1-LS2-VOODOO-4-030-Bore-408ci-FLAT-TOP-ROTATING-ASSEMBLY-STROKER-KIT-/360492721754?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ef0a665a&vxp=mtr

Add a set of 36lb injectors....

http://texas-speed.com/p-174-fast-36-lb-fuel-injectors-emissions-legal.aspx

blazeracer

A PAIR of brand new assembled LS3 heads from Jegs, $665 shipped.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12629063/10002/-1

blazeracer

SPD said:
I got a pair with double springs and a comp cam for $125  :smile30:

823 casting L92 rectangle port heads? Those are the great ones. I have a milled and ported catherdral port heads with bee hive spriings on my boat now, and they are good.

blazeracer

Rock solid 588 hp and 581 ft lbs of torque. from a small block....  :smile17:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1201phr_409ci_lq4_iron_block_ls/viewall.html

I'll bet this one could easily be done for $3,500 or less.

All I have to say on this matter is.........As Duane says........ clap.gif

CHEAP AND RELIABLE WON'T BE FAST!

CHEAP AND FAST WON'T BE RELIABLE!

RELIABLE AND FAST WON'T BE CHEAP!

jimsplace

Mike S said:
All I have to say on this matter is.........As Duane says........ clap.gif

CHEAP AND RELIABLE WON'T BE FAST!

CHEAP AND FAST WON'T BE RELIABLE!

RELIABLE AND FAST WON'T BE CHEAP!

There is a lot of truth in that statement.
Logically, it would seem from the above statement that expensive should be fast and reliable, but for some reason it doesn't always work that way.

think.gif
Life can be so complicated.

blazeracer

I know with the little 325 inch LS motor in my Glastron day cruiser it's 2 mph faster than it was than with the 460 AND I haven't brought my tool bag to the lake since it got sorted out in June. Brought the laptop a couple of times though, the new version of a screwdriver and timing light.

Either way, the power potential of the little 4.8 and 5.3 LS motor is impressive. Mine's a completely stock bottom end with the stock bore and stroke. The only upgrades are the cam, springs, and the port work on the truck heads I did myself. I haven't even done a wide band tune on it yet either so I know there are a few more ponies hiding in there. Still running stock injectors, throttle body, intake, all that.

Now I want to see how an LS motor does with another 83 inches to deal with, hence this notes thread so I can learn how to do it right and refer back to it later while shedding a little light to other guys on the boards and maybe get a couple more LS conversions going this winter.

Shoot, 580 reliable horsepower naturally aspirated for $3,500? That's not bad at all. I'll take it.

See you all at Joe Pool tomorrow. Don't ask me to borrow tools, I won't have any. LOL

spd500

I just don't see the point in building a stroker motor to only make 580hp . I would be aiming a lot higher than that if I were going to the trouble of building a stroked LS .

blazeracer

SPD said:
I just don't see the point in building a stroker motor to only make 580hp . I would be aiming a lot higher than that if I were going to the trouble of building a stroked LS .

Because these are dyno horsepower, not some knucklehead estimate based on bolt-on parts. Show some builds with DYNO RESULTS that make more power. The old "I know a guy that makes 800hp with a double pumper" doesn't count unless it's been dyno'd. If you can get 800 out of one of these thru a carb you should be building NASCAR engines. Do you know something the pro's don't?

Here's over 500 dyno hp for under $4k.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testing/sucp_0806_budget_ls_engine_buildup/viewall.html

spd500

Spend a little time over on LS1tech and read up on some of them . Most of those guys are dyno tuning their motors . But the horsepower estimates that they are posting are actually low , most of them are done on wheel dynos and only show the horsepower to the rear wheels .

spd500

Also , I never said anything about a carb . My next motor will probably be EFI with turbos . It is a lot easier fuel system to setup than a blow thru . But there are LS motors making that kind of power through carbs if that is what you want to do .

blazeracer

Well, start right here..

http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/281398-how-much-power-you-making-wheels.html

80% are under 500hp. Almost all that are over have a PSI or shot number tied to them making them not N/A. None are over 400 with only bolt ons. Most over 400 have HEADS that cost more than every build I've link in this entire thread.