Need some help and advice

ChryslerJet

Guys and Gals need some help and advice on this new v-drive 67 Carlson.  The steering is the first thing I want to tackle and need to understand what I have and what it is best to do to with it.  The cables are frozen and need to be replaced to I need to either find replacement cables or replace the entire system what does everyone think?

here is what is in there now

Disturbed

It looks like you might have a Calgo system.  Hard to tell from the pic.  You MUST send a Calgo system out for overhaul.  You CANNOT do this yourself!  The steering in a vdrive is your life.  DO NOT short-cut here!  You also need to to check and see if you rudder stuffing box needs to be replaced.  ( I'm betting it does ).  www.rexmar.com

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
It looks like you might have a Calgo system.  Hard to tell from the pic.  You MUST send a Calgo system out for overhaul.  You CANNOT do this yourself!  The steering in a vdrive is your life.  DO NOT short-cut here!  You also need to to check and see if you rudder stuffing box needs to be replaced.  ( I'm betting it does ).  www.rexmar.com
Thanks Disturbed figured you might be willing and able to help with some of my questions.

What does everyone think about keeping the steering original or replacing it with something more modern?

I will try to get more pics of the steering assembly from under the dash.

FL350

Administrator
Tim is so right. I do mine only because I've rigged a few. If this your first have somebody do it that's done a time a two. This is nothing to play around with.

Disturbed

While we're on the subject of safety.  Pull the prop and the prop shaft out and get them checked for cracks.  If you pitch an ear of the prop, you're gonna get wet.  Also, check the strut and strut bushings.  No telling what the underwater gear has gone through.  It's your life and your passenger's lives.

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
While we're on the subject of safety.  Pull the prop and the prop shaft out and get them checked for cracks.  If you pitch an ear of the prop, you're gonna get wet.  Also, check the strut and strut bushings.  No telling what the underwater gear has gone through.  It's your life and your passenger's lives.

Thanks tim I'll do that.  It shouldn't be too hard to do that.  This is why I'm asking for help cause I don't want to sink this thing first time out.

Disturbed

Talk to JJ.  Get him to check your gearbox.  He's one of the best and, he's fairly local.  :smile30:  If you have any bad bearings in it, it'll be a lot cheaper to find out before your box fails.

73 Sanger Flat

When going back with the rudder stuff , make sure you put a safety collor on top of that quadrant. You do not want that key to works it way out of there and you have no steering .. Trust me on this one , I have been there .. When you left off of it at speeds , the boat will turn hard left and the wheel will be straight ..

I agree ,get ahold of JJ at Braverfab and he will be able to look at the V-Drive box for you and give you advice on what should be done to it to make it safe .

V-Drive are fun as hell , but they are dangerouse as hell also .. You must check and recheck everything on these boats all the time , stuff come loose ..  I was at JJ's last Saturday and he save me and my boat , he noticed that my rudder had slack in it , come to find out the quadrant bolt came loose and I had at least 1.5-2 inch of slack in the rudder .. Tighten the bolt and nut up , problem solved , it could have been a really bad day at the river for me on Sunday making some hard passes ..

ChryslerJet

I have JJ's number called him before about something else but we could never get in touch.  Need to call him I know I am over my head on this one and want to make sure it is right.

73 Sanger Flat

Leave a message for him and he will get back with you . I know he is busy working on stuff and getting stuff ready for the San Angelo race..

The best thing to do is take the V-Drive box out and bring it to him or ship it to him and he will make it right .. You do not want that box to come apart or lock up on you

HellinnFrnt

Take many pictures from many angles keep all pieces and parts from each section together
Check every nut and bolt for bad threads if its rusty get new stainless
Ones also clean it out every time so if something comes loose you will see it.

ChryslerJet

Okay got some things done on the boat last night.  Found out the Calgo is froze up in the cables or the box because the rudder is free. I was able to remove the cables from the rudder without setting off the tension in the steering box.  The steering wheel was actual wood wrapped found a piece of it.  Got the Casale Gear box all unbolted but can't seem to get the coupler off the gear box and prop shaft.  anyone have any tips or tricks to removing it?
Going to have a lot of questions as I go through this.

Disturbed

There should be a couple of tapped, unused holes in the coupler.  Thread a couple bolts into them to spread the coupler loose.  Good luck!!!!

ChryslerJet

DISTURBED said:
There should be a couple of tapped, unused holes in the coupler.  Thread a couple bolts into them to spread the coupler loose.  Good luck!!!!
thanks tim will look at it as soon as the clearcoat dries.

Disturbed

Your strut bushing probably needs to be replaced anyway so, you might as well go ahead and spray some lube around there.  It will help.  :wink:

HellinnFrnt

My steering is cable like that with some pulleys and chain and sprocket. Take all the hardware off and check it is what I'd do. Rush it you'll lose it.

ChryslerJet

ChryslerJet said:
DISTURBED said:
thanks tim will look at it as soon as the clearcoat dries.

Tim worked great.  Now any tricks to taking out the prop shaft?