My new ride, 1979 Witchcraft Screamer 21' w/235HP Evinrude

YB 468

Now that you have your first sled and nice I might add I will define something for you. B.O.A.T  Break out another thousand. Only thing cheap for these things is the whistle you hang on the key chain! :smile13:

SyTy Speed Shop

YB 468 said:
Now that you have your first sled and nice I might add I will define something for you. B.O.A.T  Break out another thousand. Only thing cheap for these things is the whistle you hang on the key chain! :smile13:

LOL, yeah i heard that before.  Def not going to change anything till i get her out on the water and see how it does, other than the maintenance stuff that needs to be done. 

Crusader

Yes, engine oil and the lower unit oil are two different things. The lower unit oil is basically a thick gear oil. I'd either go with a name brand synthetic or use the oem oil recommendation.

As for the engine oil, your motor is a two stroke so you'll be burning the oil in with the fuel...there's no crankcase oil in that motor. The big Evinrudes have an engine oil reservoir that you'll need to keep an eye in. The oil pumps in the older rides used to go out a lot. Most guys disconnected the VRO. System (oil pump system) and just mixed the oil in with the gas. The VROs are easy to change though 

The engine size rating on your placard is used occasionally by law enforcement to really nail you if they're getting picky. Also if you're going to insure the boat, an insurance company may not insure you if you have a larger engine in the boat than it was rated for. If you decide to go with a higher hp motor, weight is something to take into consideration. Larger motors are usually heavier so be careful in your selection.

There's several guys out there who've done an outboard to jet swap. My advice is to either reliever with a similar OB or sell it an buy a jet. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy one that's already a jet if that's what you're really looking for.

SyTy Speed Shop

Crusader said:
Yes, engine oil and the lower unit oil are two different things. The lower unit oil is basically a thick gear oil. I'd either go with a name brand synthetic or use the oem oil recommendation.

As for the engine oil, your motor is a two stroke so you'll be burning the oil in with the fuel...there's no crankcase oil in that motor. The big Evinrudes have an engine oil reservoir that you'll need to keep an eye in. The oil pumps in the older rides used to go out a lot. Most guys disconnected the VRO. System (oil pump system) and just mixed the oil in with the gas. The VROs are easy to change though 

The engine size rating on your placard is used occasionally by law enforcement to really nail you if they're getting picky. Also if you're going to insure the boat, an insurance company may not insure you if you have a larger engine in the boat than it was rated for. If you decide to go with a higher hp motor, weight is something to take into consideration. Larger motors are usually heavier so be careful in your selection.

There's several guys out there who've done an outboard to jet swap. My advice is to either reliever with a similar OB or sell it an buy a jet. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy one that's already a jet if that's what you're really looking for.

Yeah, probably not worth in it the end to do the conversion.  I know alot of the older witchcrafts were jets, and from what Ive been able to find out they only made the outboard models from 78-80.  These old outboards are suppose to run pretty good, so as long as it holds up, im sure ill be more than happy with its performance, seeing as this is my first boat and all.

KONA77

got a good looking boat there,  just enjoy it,  don't destroy it...  upgrade later,  if ya want  :smile17:

Crusader

SyTy Speed Shop said:
Crusader said:

Yeah, probably not worth in it the end to do the conversion.  I know alot of the older witchcrafts were jets, and from what Ive been able to find out they only made the outboard models from 78-80.  These old outboards are suppose to run pretty good, so as long as it holds up, im sure ill be more than happy with its performance, seeing as this is my first boat and all.

Your boat is so bada$$ looking with an OB.....also the lines are awesome!

Being an auto performance repair guy....you should be able to figure this motor out in no time at all.

SyTy Speed Shop

Crusader said:
SyTy Speed Shop said:
Crusader said:

Your boat is so bada$$ looking with an OB.....also the lines are awesome!

Being an auto performance repair guy....you should be able to figure this motor out in no time at all.

Thanks for the props, and id have to agree with you on the lines of the boat.  I'm not to worried about working on the engine, just as with anything new alittle timid, as i read all these horror stories of the repair and parts cost on these old O/B's.  Lots of ways to make these old engines make alot of power, but ill save that for down the road as well.  ;-)

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great starting point for your boating hobby. If you don't like boating, it should be an easy sell! :smile30:

Knotty Girl

Patchman said:
That's a great starting point for your boating hobby. If you don't like boating, it should be an easy sell! :smile30:

What  :smile26: What ju talk'n bout Willis  :smile21:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Knotty said:
Patchman said:

What  :smile26: What ju talk'n bout Willis  :smile21:
It aint for everybody, just us  crazy.gif few!

Crusader

I've heard from several sources that "The two happiest days of a boat owners life is the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it".

I don't buy into that hogwash..... I've owned several boats and to be honest with you, I'd be pretty darn sad if I sold either one of the boats I have now.... My happiest days are standing waste deep in the water, near my sled, with my right arm forming a 90degree angle with a nice ice cold beverage in my hand.

Now THOSE are happy days for me...lol.

Knotty Girl

Crusader said:
I've heard from several sources that "The two happiest days of a boat owners life is the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it".

I don't buy into that hogwash..... I've owned several boats and to be honest with you, I'd be pretty darn sad if I sold either one of the boats I have now.... My happiest days are standing waste deep in the water, near my sled, with my right arm forming a 90degree angle with a nice ice cold beverage in my hand.

Now THOSE are happy days for me...lol.

Every boat I have owned I would own again.  think.gif

Crusader

Ya...every boat but one of mine, I'd own again too! Lol....

I had a 17' open fisherman boat with a 140 Johnson on the back of it...son of a gun would flat out run!! I couldn't keep it running....sold it to my buddy, who knew what I was going through and knew everything  about the boat. He dumped the 140 and put a 70 Evinrude on it....he kept it for a long time.

ChryslerJet

Patchman said:
CJ still owns all his boats, unless the possession clause kicks in! :evil: :evil:
Nope sold 3 of them previously.  Believe it or not I have sold some but then I wouldn't have all the ones I have now and I wouldn't have had a reason to find ya'll.

SyTy Speed Shop

LOL.  Can't wait to get on the water and drink a few frosty adult beverages with this group!!  I see lots of good times we at her my boat runs or not!!!