my imaginary motor

Patchman said:
Can you change a prop and get more out of it? I need this info so when I purchase, I can be faster than Sgayrab! :smile30:

What you putting a prop on! The fishslayer?? I've got a few nice out board props!

John said:
this thread went way off topic from a paper engine build thread, to propeller discussion

what bore and stroke do i need to make a 540?

Your right john what happened here! Lol but on another prop note I just sent mine back to Cali. For the labbed finish to be changed and readjusted because I need another 400 rpm's out of her! And I tell yea it's not cheap getting a prop boat lined out perfect for your needs, with all the money they cost! It's all trial and era! Like you said all boats or different! Even if there's one just the same it still might not like the same set up!! Mine sure didn't! Just ask me how I know!! :smile13:

Patchman said:
So what's your boat turning now Mike? :smile21:

I have both a 24p cutting edge labbed out of Cali. And a bravo1 26p both or 4 blades, and I like very well! 26p is a little slower on take off and top end but will run 60 cruising! And the other 24p takes off fast and runs a little faster on top end but only cruises at 55! Depends on what I'm doing on what prop I run! But I sent the CE prop back to them for a little modifying because there's still a lot on the table!! Boat should run In The mid 70s when everything is lined out! (Way better then the old 60 top speed! Lol)  But right now I'm not changing anything on the motor tell I get the prop lined out! Bit there's still a little left in it also!! 2* timing and it needs a bigger carb! I run a 800 it needs a 850-900cfm but most of that won't come tell winter right now it's just drive and have fun!! This is all coming from dyno results on the motor!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
70's in your ride would be sweet! Got that big girl cooking! :smile16: :smile16: :smile16:

sturat

I would think that for a pump gas 540 you could save a few bucks by getting a differnet block other than a dart, could use an eagle rotating assy. that would free up some money. IF you truly plan on never spraying and staying on pump gas.
With those heads you could run 11:1 compression and stay with pump gas. I don't think that would get you to a hundy but if the boat is set up right and you have a good pump should get you mid to high 90's in theory anyhow.
In my Sanger with an "A" and 542 HP I would see 85 GPS MPH turned it to a "BC" saw 92 MPH of course this was in the fall time with great air. It has a delta pad vee bottom no shoe. It does have a good loader and a tight pump. So much of this is the set up, not just HP and TQ.

John

Thanks ! it only took 26 posts to get on topic.

in your opinion do you think tunnel ram or victor with dominator

opinions on a block, fine with a bow tie ? tall or short deck?
at 11.1 static compression you think i should o ring block?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You can build a 10:1 496 600 HP pump gas with a killer pump and probably run that number in a TX19 pretty easy. Just need a lite layup, like Lucille! :smile30: :smile30: :smile30: :smile30:

John

see thats the deal, i Dont know if you noticed but im kinda large, so i don't want a potato chip

i want something i can go over the side of and run in the lake, a hull about 600 lbs

and i want it either cocktail seating or a bench in the back.

this is all a ways off, theres a few projects still to be done on the scarab before i quit on it (re work the top, with new navlights and cleats, trim tabs and finish up upholstery work, all this winter though oh and just a little bit more paint)

sturat

If you want a 540 then I would think a tall deck. I also think a single dom would work, really think a tunnel ram would be over kill but they sure do look cool. Getting into a tunnel ram is not cheap, I switched from a single carb to dual carbs and it cost me over 500.00 just to get from the fuel pump to the carbs. This does not include the cost of the carbs or the tunnel ram. I see no reason to oring the block, you are not boosting it and I would think no worries. I have seen big CI and high compression than that and not oringed and seemed to work just fine. I am by no means a pro at all with this stuff but that is my .02.
Eddie had a 538 with a single dom making north of 1000 HP on motor and then had a 300 shot on top of that.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Right! It don't take much to make those boats fly, even the medium layup. The trick seems to really be in the pump and the bottom of the boat. There are a few boats out there that I have seen and thought were fast, to find out they were off the mark. The bottom seems to be the hardest to tell. Unless you can get someone like Chop to look at it. Horsepower is the easy part!  :smile30: Just depends on what you want to do! Just play or go race! :grin: :grin:

sturat

Great example Tint's winger, had a 498 in it, granted had a little compression but ran mid 90' all day long, all motor just a good set up and a good pump. His is no race hull just a solid lake layup.

John

sturat said:
Great example Tint's winger, had a 498 in it, granted had a little compression but ran mid 90' all day long, all motor just a good set up and a good pump. His is no race hull just a solid lake layup.

i remember seeing his boat on craigslist, i was gonna buy it but he beat me to it. i bet that boat is glad tint got her, he went all out on it.

WFO

yes sir. My TX-19 is a little on the heavy layup don't know for sure never weighed it but, I think it is about 675lbs bare hull. With my 496ci it will run 91 every day and has seen 92 with my 240lb ass in it. Even when I had the 540ci alcohol motor it was still mid 90s. The 496 is 10.5-1, a fairly big roller cam but nothing serious. so yes it doesn't take a lot to get a Gullwing to 90mph but then there is the century mark. That is what I'm still chasing. I am thinking either 598/620ci or rubber band on the 496ci.

John

Patchman said:
Can a drive shower pickup tube really cause cavitation? think.gif

why do you care you have jets an an outboard :smile21:

shouldn't though, if it does your x dimension may be to high, it got a imco shorty on it?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
These things I have to know. I'm going to get a Pachanga with a King Cobra and smoke some serious azz! :smile26: :smile26:

No it helps cool the drive when it's out of the water on plan! But being you have jets you don't need one there water feed as is!!  :smile30: but  think.gif think.gif your up to something BIG LOL