More noobie questions!

EMBRACETHEHATE

This time its about my jet drive. Somewhere I have a leak. Its fine if im goin good but idling and just parked I have to keep an eye on it. Luckily I have a good bilge pump. Any common areas that leak? I did put silicone all the way around the pump up against the boat. The only area where I couldnt get was under neath because of the ride plate.
uqy8a2yh.jpg

Next is this oring mine is ugly, what does it do, do I need to replace it asap?
uvyma2u2.jpg

Yes I know my pump needs a paint job ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Crusader

Could be your rope seals. Look at where your drive shaft goes into the pump while the boat is in the water. You'll see water leaking in around the shaft. You can tighten the two nuts about a turn each and that should reduce the amount of water coming in.

Do a site search for rope seals. We've talked about them a lot in the past.

EMBRACETHEHATE

Crusader said:
Could be your rope seals. Look at where your drive shaft goes into the pump while the boat is in the water. You'll see water leaking in around the shaft. You can tighten the two nuts about a turn each and that should reduce the amount of water coming in.

Do a site search for rope seals. We've talked about them a lot in the past.
cool I'll definitely do that. What about that oring thing?

Crusader

The O ring could cause a leak too. I'd look at the rope seals first.

Remember, all jet boats leak. One drop of water every few seconds is normal.

Drumzilla

Hum.. I also have a leak. I did a search and couldn't find any topics or messages about rope seals ? :smile29:

EMBRACETHEHATE

Crusader said:
The O ring could cause a leak too. I'd look at the rope seals first.

Remember, all jet boats leak. One drop of water every few seconds is normal.
ok cool, well it doesnt leak to much, helps that i have a badass bilge pump. Ill check the rope seals first then go from there. Thanks for your help.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Devilman

Can also put the plug in it & use the garden hose to put some water in the bilge. Let it sit for a bit & then check for any dripping or water puddles on the ground under the boat. That won't work for the rope seals, but will let ya know if the transom adapter/cover is sealed good against the transom or not. Will let you know about the condition of the drain plug too.

That O-ring looks like the one that seals around the nozzle... it won't leak & let water into the boat, but will spray around the nozzle, may notice it more when turning. I ran mine with a bad O-ring for a few weekends when I first got my boat. Didn't really hurt anything, but you do want to fix it. Not a hard job.

there is a oring between the bowl and transom adapter from the factory, but if you silicone around it you really shouldnt need that. i suggest you drop the ride plate and silicone around the transom adapter and bowl, another thing i have seen loader bolts leak if your loader bolts go all the way thru you might check there silicone those too.

Lots of good info here from the guys to consider , one way to find some leak sites is to fill the bilge with water with the drain plug in (to below the rear main) and let it set , water leaking out will indicate where water leaks in ..... Like said above shaft packings, and transom adaptor gaskets are common leak sites , Intake bedding  epoxy & intake to suction gaskets are less common and bowl gaskets will dehydrate and sometimes leak .... In your 2nd picture it looks like one of the white tephlon nozzle orings is "out of place" , if so this will not leak water into the boat but rather will cause the nozzle or trim to leak externally and be less efficiant not to mention those orings when out of position can cause steering to bind  Last observation is that you have a jetOVator , the steering tube in that system depends on a inserted bushing in the transom adaptor that also has a tiny oring , this can leak as well if below the water line  Call if theres anything we can help with Tom

EMBRACETHEHATE

jetboatperformance said:
Lots of good info here from the guys to consider , one way to find some leak sites is to fill the bilge with water with the drain plug in (to below the rear main) and let it set , water leaking out will indicate where water leaks in ..... Like said above shaft packings, and transom adaptor gaskets are common leak sites , Intake bedding  epoxy & intake to suction gaskets are less common and bowl gaskets will dehydrate and sometimes leak .... In your 2nd picture it looks like one of the white tephlon nozzle orings is "out of place" , if so this will not leak water into the boat but rather will cause the nozzle or trim to leak externally and be less efficiant not to mention those orings when out of position can cause steering to bind  Last observation is that you have a jetOVator , the steering tube in that system depends on a inserted bushing in the transom adaptor that also has a tiny oring , this can leak as well if below the water line  Call if theres anything we can help with Tom
your awesome man thanks! this is kinda what I need, I really Dont know crap about them. You cleared up a few things for sure!

I went thru this about a month ago.  Mine too was leaking pretty bad and I couldn’t tell where.  But it was between the transom adapter & the bowl.  Coincidentally it was worse at the bottom, where the ride plate prevents you to get.  Once I got there the old silicone was gooey.  So I replaced it and now it’s DRY!!!  I recommend R&R the ride plate R&R silicone. All the way around…  my .02 cents....  Good Luck~!

EMBRACETHEHATE

SecondAggie said:
I went thru this about a month ago.  Mine too was leaking pretty bad and I couldn’t tell where.  But it was between the transom adapter & the bowl.  Coincidentally it was worse at the bottom, where the ride plate prevents you to get.  Once I got there the old silicone was gooey.  So I replaced it and now it’s DRY!!!  I recommend R&R the ride plate R&R silicone. All the way around…  my .02 cents....  Good Luck~!
I Dont know what brand ride plate I have but the bolts are tighter then a mfer to remove it lol.

jimsplace

Being a V-Drive guy, I don't know shirt about jets and don't understand the "all jets are supposed to leak". 

I have seen this same question posted different places with similar answers.  The thought of filling my boat with water goes against everything I could accept.  Boat are made to get wet on the outside, not on the inside.  Water and whatever either rusts, corrodes or rots.

I have never seen this suggested, but this seems more logical to me.
Instead of filling the boat with water, is there some reason that a soapy solution on the outside of the boat wouldn't produce bubbles where it leaks when a high pressure air supply is used inside the boat around the suspected areas?
    :smile17:

KONA77

i don't see why not,  never though of it,  other than the high pressure air may create a larger leak or more leaks,  not sure,  just thinking out loud but still a good idea  :smile17:

EMBRACETHEHATE

jimsplace said:
Being a V-Drive guy, I don't know shirt about jets and don't understand the "all jets are supposed to leak". 

I have seen this same question posted different places with similar answers.  The thought of filling my boat with water goes against everything I could accept.  Boat are made to get wet on the outside, not on the inside.  Water and whatever either rusts, corrodes or rots.

Instead of filling the boat with water, is there some reason that a soapy solution on the outside of the boat wouldn't produce bubbles where it leaks when a high pressure air supply is used inside the boat around the suspected areas?
sounds like more of a pita then just pouring some water in the boat......

Yes my ride plate bolts were freaking tight too!!! Even had to slide the boat back on the trailer!  Then we used a ground down chisle, vice grips and a hammer to tap it loose!!  It took more than one person, and yes it was a MO-FO!!

jimsplace

EMBRACETHEHATE said:
jimsplace said:

sounds like more of a pita then just pouring some water in the boat......

I don't understand the "PITA".  I know what it means, but Hooking up an air hose and getting out some dish soap would take all of 15 or 20 minutes and seems easier.
I just think filling the boat with water would  be a last resort method.
I know it was mentioned about filling with water to the oil seals, but by then, you may have water in the starter, alternator or even the electric fuel pump if its below the fuel tank level where it belongs.

There are a lot of jet guys with more experience than I have, so I could be wrong.

duanehydro

well, Jim, remember, not all of us have a compressor at home, or where the boat may be. It may be easier to find a hose. The water test has helped me a few times., I wouldn't recommend it for a boat that has everything fully polished, and such, but for a boat that's already had water in it from the outside, I don't see a problem at all with jacking up the front of the trailer, being careful, and finding the concern. Normally, you don't have to fill the hull up, just spray will show. JMO