MONEY SAVING INFO!!

blazeracer

Fixing to get a blast cabinet, use it, then sell it to some fool for what I paid. This coupon will help big time.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?hdr=mag&week=1611&campaign=a_retail&page=1611a_retail.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000&hftref=cj

Or maybe just keep it if works good. It actually has very good reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-93608.html

with walnut media for aluminum...

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html

I'll be $210 out the door with tax.

ANYWAY.. The coupon for anyone who plans on hitting up Harbor Frieght before the month is over.

blazeracer

Well, I know why it has good reviews for a Harbor Freight piece. The only moving part is the door latch! Sure works better than gas and paint brush too. I'd spend the bucks on a nice one if I was going to use it more than once. After this boat is done I'm not doing it again for at least 10 years, hopefully 20.

Anyway, here's how the timing cover came out blasted with walnut shells. Took all the paint off with ease. Before and after pics. I think I need some media a little more agressive though. The walnut shells removed paint from the aluminum very well but didn't really do squat to other areas like gasket surfaces.

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 149
  • cover2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 146

blazeracer

I know, huh? It's not as nice and pretty as a polished piece, but about a thousand times better than the black and orange paint that was on it.

Regularly priced at $299.99, on sale for $199.99 and with the 20% off Super Coupon it was $159.99

Not too shabby... and just what a REFRIGERATOR shop needs, right?? haha

BTW, if any THB or NTJBC guys need to media blast something, feel free to come by and put it to good use. But if you want to blast with something other than walnut shells you'll have to bring it. I might go get something other media to day to try it out.

Attachments

• blaster.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 135

blazeracer

If they have paint on them it will make quick work of removing the paint. I don't think it will do anything for polishing.

blazeracer

DiamondJim said:
James go to Eastwood and buy some quality stuff, as much stuff as you do, youll use it forever.

Caught that one a little bit late.. Where's Eastwood?? Is there one in Dallas?

EDIT: Oh, it's mail order only for them from their website, but I'll keep that in mind for future stuff. Looks like they have a lot of Made In USA items.

jdeaton

I bought my blast cabinet 5 years ago, thinking I would use it a few times and then it would sit in my shop for years, NOT SO. I picked up a book on the different medias available,and their use, and I use it all the time.  Sand for rust removal, silicone for carburetors, soda for Aluminum in prep for polishing.  A big plus for me is I rarely get my hand in cleaning solvents and I'm not breathing in the fumes.

blazeracer

DiamondJim said:
By the way, you need to wear a mask (the same one you paint with) when you use the silicone.

Yeah, I read that in the instructions in big bold letters "Abrasive blasting with sand containing crystalline silica can cause serious or fatal respitory disease."

Not going to mess with that stuff.

We'll see how it holds up I guess. Like I said, it has no moving parts except the latch. It's pretty much a tin box with a plexi window, lights, and some heavy duty work gloves.

blazeracer

DiamondJim said:
A big plus for me is I rarely get my hand in cleaning solvents and I'm not breathing in the fumes.

That's a HUGE plus right there. Yesterday I washed a few parts in some old lawnmower gas from last summer I needed to get rid of anyway. That sucked. Inspired the desire to get a blaster, then finding that coupon sealed the deal.. LOL

jdeaton

I got to have one of these!  Anyone ever heard of this manufacturer, I mean 62% savings, beats the cheap Harbor Freight price.

http://www.amazon.com/RAMSOND-CUT50DY-Voltage-Inverter-SHIPPING/dp/B001OHTQO4/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1303582938&sr=1-1

blazeracer

Man, that's a steal on a plasma cutter if it works good. I'm not a big metal working guy so I couldn't tell you anything about it. But you're not lying about that blast cabinet. I went to Northern tool and got a bag of glass bead for $8.

Here's my oil pan. 1st pic is from yesterday after 30 minutes with a wire wheel on a drill. Second pic is after 15 mins in the blast cabinet.

This could get addicting... LOL

Attachments

• oilpan1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 102
  • oilpan2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 117

Last Mohecian

Administrator
This guy over on iBoats has one of the HF blast cabinets.  He modified the gun to make it work much better.  You can read about his mod here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347709&p=3082182&viewfull=1#post3082182

blazeracer

I guess when you've never used before it's pretty awesome out of the box. Just hit that timing cover with the glass beads and it looks a thousand times better. Is this where you hear about some guys clearing it after the glass bead job? Because it looks killer clean now.

I think that guy has an older model. Mine looks nothing like that. I WAS having clogging issues due to moisture in the line. Cured it earlier today with a $15 line filter right at the cabinet. I did the oil pan and re did the timing cover with no issues at all. Media is flowing great.

Attachments

• oilpan3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 88
  • timingcover.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 86

jdeaton

Great tip, I will grind the restrector in my gun, because I've had the same problem.  I put a dryer in line so I got rid of the water problem.

blazeracer

Here's my gun. it doesn't have the allen wrench hole like that guy's had. My tip just screws onto the front. You can see the in-line filter too.

Just did the balancer and crank pulley.

Attachments

• blaster2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 86

Crusader

Oil pan looks great James!!

You're a media blaster guru now man!!!

James got him a new toy. Snicker......lol.