May need new Prop

73 Sanger Flat

Knotty said:
Can yours be repaired?
I am sure it can , I thought I seen a crack in it and it so , I will not run it even if it can be repaired . I would not trust it . i seen what a prop ear coming off will do to a boat . It gets expensive quick ..

73 Sanger Flat

DISTURBED said:
Mine was $850 from Tom Bentley.  (Menkens). Give him a call.  :wink:
I will again , I talked to him about a year ago .. Just did not have the cash on hand for it .. Most likely will go with Tom or Harold ..

Carnivalride

Ok for what it’s worth here’s how my recent prop testing has gone down. Top 3 choices so far are:

• Precision 11x16 high rake BGF or modified hydro cleaver. This prop takes a quick set and is the easiest to drive on my boat but lacks some mph and is starting to nose the boat over.
• Precision 10-7/8x16 PGF/CF prop. Great flash then bites but tends to burn some it’s a mph faster than the one above and harder to drive.

Bill Diez is now making these, I’ve spoken with him and he seems willing to working with you like most of the other prop guys. Price will probably be around $750 he hadn’t really gotten going when I spoke with him about 4 weeks ago.

• The prop I had borrowed that showed the most potential was an 11x16 Wayne Mettler design Menkens (by Dallas). Was easy to drive with 18s had the highest mph, lowest flash and pull down. I changed to 15s and ran it Saturday it became hard to drive and ran same mph. Basically I think things were happening too quick and I don’t have enough down to keep my nose from going to high from a dead water start. From a slight roll it worked fine. When I talked to Dallas he said he could copy this one and Price would be around $750. He asked the most questions out of anybody and was asking how the boat set, how much plate was needed and what I’d like to see it do different. Basically he’d copy the borrowed prop to use as a baseline and tweak the new one to do more what I asked for.

I’ve also talked with Harold Kindsvater who was doing props for about $800 and Tom Bentley. All four of these guys seem to be willing to work with you and claim they’ll work with you until your happy. My current issue is the at my GPS doesn’t record at a fast enough rate to track acceleration differences and video is inconclusive. So without clocks I’m splitting hairs. In a nutshell I think I’d try Dallas first because of the experience and the questions he asked and the look/quality of the prop I borrowed.

Do remember that no two of these damn boats are the same and what works on your friends may not be the best choice for yours. My advice would be to try as many props as you can and then go with what ever one seemed to work the best with your boat.

Sorry for the run on,
Loren

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Thanks for the info Loren
When are you biting the bullet and getting one ?
Waiting for an answer out of the borrowed owner. If he'll sell I'm buying it, if he decides to keep it I'll probably buy after I recover from my son's spring semester college tuition.

Basically ET difference is too close to tell without clocks and 1 or 2 mph at the lake isn't noticeable so I'm going by which makes the boat drive the easiest.

73 Sanger Flat

I may try that one Trigger has and see if it works good on the boat before I buy one . That would be a lot cheaper than I new one . Have to wait until spring . I winterized the boat Saturday and it does not have any oil in it now .. So no quick runs until Spring ..

73 Sanger Flat

Galen I tried that shiny one before and my boat did not like it at all . It made the back ride way to high and pushed the nose down . Not fun in a flat , but perfect for a Hydro .. So I will pass on that Chrome one ..
It is a nice prop for a Hydro ..

Carnivalride

Galen I tried that shiny one before and my boat did not like it at all . It made the back ride way to high and pushed the nose down . Not fun in a flat , but perfect for a Hydro .. So I will pass on that Chrome one ..
It is a nice prop for a Hydro ..

Picky, picky, picky...... the man offers you a prop and you stick your nose up at it over a little thing like "handling". lol  crazy.gif

Shiny is faster Billy why do you think I've wasted so much effort polishing on my old tub?!?!?!?  think.gif

73 Sanger Flat

OK - I know I am picky .. Loren let me get it from Galen and you can try it on your shiny boat . It will look really good on your boat with all of your shiny parts .. I will watch you run it and see how fast you take it off .. LOL

Knotty Girl

OK - I know I am picky .. Loren let me get it from Galen and you can try it on your shiny boat . It will look really good on your boat with all of your shiny parts .. I will watch you run it and see how fast you take it off .. LOL

I need a back up prop.  :smile16:

73 Sanger Flat

Henry - I bet Galen would make you a good deal on it .. It is a very nice prop . Only thing it is for a Hydro and it is Chromed ..