May need new Prop

Knotty Girl

jimsplace said:
Knotty said:
Why did they chrome it?  I really need one like I have on it now. TKS

I've gone with the tried and true practice of, "if it don't go, chrome it" philosophy.

How would you know if there was a problem with it? I think that would be fine for a lake boat, but that would scare me on a race boat.  :smile20:

jimsplace

I use a Kinsvater prop that works well for me.
I assume a CNC'D prop is probably the best, but I still think setting up the boat makes more difference than any prop.

Get a fresh prop and work with the set-up.  Get that right and you'll have a winner.

Not to disrupt any sales, but how old is the prop, how much power has it been used with and is it near a stress or breaking point now or soon?
There is no way of knowing.  They can be checked and monitored, but only if it's not chromed.

If you've never broken a prop ear, be glad. 
It gets real expensive because it won't just be a broken prop.  It will be the prop, shaft, strut and a damaged V-Drive, plus any damage to the boat. 
If your lucky, the boat doesn't sink.

Have a nice day.
  :smile17:

jimsplace

Knotty said:
jimsplace said:
Knotty said:
Why did they chrome it?  I really need one like I have on it now. TKS

I've gone with the tried and true practice of, "if it don't go, chrome it" philosophy.

How would you know if there was a problem with it? I think that would be fine for a lake boat, but that would scare me on a race boat.  :smile20:

I don't think you would.

What's the difference between a Race boat and a lake boat?
When your boat is on the lake, is there any less stress on the boat and components than at a race?

If anything, there is probably more stress because the water conditions are not controlled on the lake as opposed to a race situation. IMO

Devilman

Billy I don't know anything about the different props & how they perform on different boats, but I saw this this morning on PB. Didn't know if it was anything that you could use or even be interested in, but just in case...

"1 1/8 shaft 11 3/4 x 14 LH menkins from blown day cruiser like new cond paid $700 asking $400 SHIPPED"

Link to the thread, there is a pic of the prop there: http://www.performanceboats.com/parts-sale/188610-nice-v-drive-prop.html

73 Sanger Flat

Devilman said:
Billy I don't know anything about the different props & how they perform on different boats, but I saw this this morning on PB. Didn't know if it was anything that you could use or even be interested in, but just in case...

"1 1/8 shaft 11 3/4 x 14 LH menkins from blown day cruiser like new cond paid $700 asking $400 SHIPPED"

Link to the thread, there is a pic of the prop there: http://www.performanceboats.com/parts-sale/188610-nice-v-drive-prop.html
Thanks Kenny , but looks like it is an 1 1/8 shaft .. Mine is a 1 inch shaft  and need 11 x 16 size, maybe 11 1/8 x 16 .. I going to have mine died checked and make sure it is cracked , but i would like to get a better one soon .  ..

Carnivalride

jimsplace said:
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Jim- you want to sell your extra prop ? Have to ask one more time before I buy a new one ..

Not interested in selling right now.

It's always good to have back up especially when you go out of town. What happens if you ding a blade or think you have a crack after towing 4 hours or more? When I travel to these get togethers I usually carry a few spare/back up parts.

73 Sanger Flat

Loren . you probably laugh at my prop if you see it . it has a lot of dings and nicks on it .. Maybe I can take a picture of how bad it is an post it .. The boat slid up on the trailer one time when the pin came out and ding the crap out of it .. Had to take a small hammer and make an adjustment to it so I could use it .. ..
When I go to our event , I take so much extra stuff just in case something happens .. It has came in handy to have extra part before ..
The Oklahoma boys was sure happy I had all the extra stuff to pull two engines that weekend in the tool box of my truck when they swapped engine in two boats that night . Using my stuff and hanging them from an old Oak tree .. .

jimsplace

Carnivalride said:
jimsplace said:
Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Jim- you want to sell your extra prop ? Have to ask one more time before I buy a new one ..

Not interested in selling right now.

It's always good to have back up especially when you go out of town. What happens if you ding a blade or think you have a crack after towing 4 hours or more? When I travel to these get togethers I usually carry a few spare/back up parts.

I usually carry a spare impeller and spare tire, not much more.
I don't check my prop every outing, but I'll try to dye check it every other time before I go a third.

If I damage a prop or think I might have while I'm out, I'll float the boat the rest of the day or just pull it out.

I'll share an experience from last year. 
I allowed the boat to get into shallow water while it was idling.  All that I felt was the back of the boat lift and move over, there was no
solid hit that I felt, so it may have been mud.
I drove it back to the trailer and everything felt normal, I didn't run it over 2200 rpm, but it got me on plane and back to the ramp.
When I examined everything visually, I saw nothing wrong, and when I ran my hand on the edge of the prop there were no nicks or even any shiny marks on the prop.
I pulled the prop and sent it Kindsvater for him to check it.
When I checked the prop shaft, the taper had .017 runout.  There should have been virtually no runout on the taper.
There was .003 - .004 runout in the middle of the shaft.  I could have lived with that, but not the taper runout.
Kindsvater said the prop was fine and it still looked like new.

Propshafts are more expensive than they were a few years ago.

My conclusion is if anything unusual happens, take it apart and measure what you can.  It might surprise you what gets
damaged and what doesn't.