LEFT HAND DRILL-BROKEN BOLT

txliberator

I have broken bolt in my suction housing where the bearing cap bolts on. It's sheared off about 3/16 below the flange, welding a nut or stud on is not an option. I'm trying to avoid removing the suction. Have any of you used a LH drill for bolt extraction? Any other ideas??

77Jet Star

txliberator said:
I have broken bolt in my suction housing where the bearing cap bolts on. It's sheared off about 3/16 below the flange, welding a nut or stud on is not an option. I'm trying to avoid removing the suction. Have any of you used a LH drill for bolt extraction? Any other ideas??
Best luck I have had take your time and start out with a small bit and move up in size till you get the extracter in and cross your fingers if not you may hve to pull the suction.Or drill and tap to next size which I would not do .If you use a center punch as a pilot hole don't hit it so hard as to flare the stud in the hole or make it spred out .:smile17:Just my .02 and good luck      remember take your time

KONA77

it's one of the best ways to remove a bolt,    your gonna need to drill it anyways and if you have a lefty i'd use it and get a good EZ out......

let me say this that bolt is probably Stainless,  and section is aluminum,  and if you didn't use anti seize,  it can be alot of fun getting it out

:smile16:

duanehydro

I use lh bits all the time for bolt removal. Thing is, in aluminum, the bolt's gonna be oxidized in there. thus the lh bit may or (probably) may not grab the bolt and pull it right out, so you'll still be digging at it. BUT, you may get lucky. clap.gif

txliberator

That's what I'm afraid of, SS in aluminum is about the worst scenario.  :smile15: Figured I'd give it a try before I pulled the suction out. Not feeling very optimistic about it tho.  :rolleyes:

KONA77

soak the hell out of it with some good penetrating oil,  and get a good center punch so your drill bit don't walk out of center

txliberator

KONA said:
soak the hell out of it with some good penetrating oil,  and get a good center punch so your drill bit don't walk out of center

Planning on that and center drilling it as deep as I can.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
If the bit don't extract it, make sure you get a good easy out, not one of those cheapies at the part store! :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Mine are Matco. They are fluted, not tapered like what they sell at the stores. You knock them in and turn them out. They don't attempt to thread themselves in which can lead to broke parts! :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Like these! :smile16:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLUE-POINT-TOOLS-BOLT-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-SET-/200806021978?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2ec0f8bb5a#ht_500wt_923

KONA77

i've had good luck with ez outs from parts stores like napa and carquest,  autozone, not,    if you buy a ez out and you say oh that's not to bad of a price,  then you bought the wrong ez out :smile16:

txliberator

KONA said:
i've had good luck with ez outs from parts stores like napa and carquest,  autozone, not,    if you buy a ez out and you say oh that's not to bad of a price,  then you bought the wrong ez out :smile16:

LOL! Thanks for the replies, I'll post my results.

Becket

It the bolt broke off smooth you are in luck and a center punch will get you started, IF it broke off uneven the I would suggest using a small carbide ball burr to cut the bolt flat, then use the center punch to get started center. JMHO.

Disturbed

Patchman said:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLUE-POINT-TOOLS-BOLT-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-SET-/200806021978?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2ec0f8bb5a#ht_500wt_923

That's the kind we have here at the shop.  They bite HARD!!!!!!!!!!  :smile30:

Becket

DISTURBED said:
Patchman said:

That's the kind we have here at the shop.  They bite HARD!!!!!!!!!!  :smile30:
Me no likey those, hard to keep straight, like these much mo betta!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CHICAGOLATROBE-Screw-Extractor-1U220?Pid=search

Also, keep in mind that you need to keep the extractor hole as small as possible, if you drill it out so that it is thin then the extractor will expand the broken bolt while trying to bite and just wedge it in.

Texgo

I usually take my time and drill all the way through the bolt.  It takes time, but you can spray lube through it and soak the back side too.  The last time an EZ out broke on me (Napa brand) I was able to drive the tip of it all the way through with a skinny drift.  Then I drilled out the bolt and put a Hellicoil in it.  That was on an engine block though, not a pump.

WAFOBABY

Dusty you need me to call Eric and have him come drill it OUT LMFAO lol lol !  :grin: :grin: :grin:            if you want me to get you some pentrating oil from work let me know I will grab can aircraft CHIT and its free LOL.

txliberator

WAFOBABY said:
Dusty you need me to call Eric and have him come drill it OUT LMFAO lol lol !  :grin: :grin: :grin:            if you want me to get you some pentrating oil from work let me know I will grab can aircraft CHIT and its free LOL.

lmao!!! "You can drill my wife but do NOT get near my boat with a drill!!!!" :evil: :grin: