How about a little "Carnival Ride"

HellinnFrnt

customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:
Did a little testing with my son today and here is one of my test passes. This was one of the 108 mph passes.

BTW this is a pump gas 489 with a mild cam and small heads in a heavy old Hondo.

http://youtu.be/3OL2IAa6woI

Your boat is hauling the mail. Just curious here but when you say small heads do you mean oval port or small square port? Also, do you have any idea of the HP you are generating? I am just trying to get a general idea of where my boat should be.

Somewhere behind his....... bahahahaaa. Nice ride Loren. Mines about halfway through that run.

customtouch

HellinnFrnt said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:
Did a little testing with my son today and here is one of my test passes. This was one of the 108 mph passes.

BTW this is a pump gas 489 with a mild cam and small heads in a heavy old Hondo.

Your boat is hauling the mail. Just curious here but when you say small heads do you mean oval port or small square port? Also, do you have any idea of the HP you are generating? I am just trying to get a general idea of where my boat should be.

Somewhere behind his....... bahahahaaa. Nice ride Loren. Mines about halfway through that run.

LOL! Probably WAAAAY behind it with the little trolling motor I am putting in mine!!!

Carnivalride

customtouch said:
HellinnFrnt said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:

LOL! Probably WAAAAY behind it with the little trolling motor I am putting in mine!!!

Thanks James, how have you been I haven't seen you since Boat bash 2 years ago. I hope to make a few more events next year. I hoped to do this Texas deal but when they moved it to the 12th it interfered with some previous plans.

Hey custom tell me about your trolling motor. You have a Cole TR-2 right? That's a good boat it won't take anything exotic to make it run respectably.

Knotty Girl

I will say this Custom's boat will not even have to hit the water to look great, plus do not let him fool ya it will have a healthy plant in it.  I heard it on the stand.  :smile30:

customtouch

Carnivalride said:
customtouch said:
HellinnFrnt said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:

Thanks James, how have you been I haven't seen you since Boat bash 2 years ago. I hope to make a few more events next year. I hoped to do this Texas deal but when they moved it to the 12th it interfered with some previous plans.

Hey custom tell me about your trolling motor. You have a Cole TR-2 right? That's a good boat it won't take anything exotic to make it run respectably.

Yes, the boat is a TR2 and I hope you are right about it not taking anything exotic to make it run respectably because there is nothing "exotic" about this motor. It is basically a full roller 462 tunnel ram motor with big oval port iron heads that have been ported & polished. It is however running a little bit of compression though at 14.5-1. It was suppose to "lap top" at 750hp but I have not made any real dyno pulls with it yet. I am not real worried about this motor because there are already plans to build a big cube blower motor to replace it eventually but this one should work pretty well for letting me get used to the boat. I may be dreaming here by trying to get this set up somewhere close to triple digits but it should at least run "pretty good." I might have to wait for the other motor to break into the century mark. I have a thread over in the "build section" called Bucket List that has some pics & info on the boat and I think most everyone has seen this video but here is one of the motor running before the Tunnel Ram was installed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XRqlyJNRgtQ

Knotty Girl

Do not feel bad the POA where I am kill several trees a year because of me, sending letters to me.  They love it when I start up my toys.  :smile16:

Crusader

Knotty said:
Do not feel bad the POA where I am kill several trees a year because of me, sending letters to me.  They love it when I start up my toys.  :smile16:

My POA has now threatened fines against me....guess the warnings didn't work so well...lol.

Carnivalride

customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:
customtouch said:
HellinnFrnt said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:

Yes, the boat is a TR2 and I hope you are right about it not taking anything exotic to make it run respectably because there is nothing "exotic" about this motor. It is basically a full roller 462 tunnel ram motor with big oval port iron heads that have been ported & polished. It is however running a little bit of compression though at 14.5-1. It was suppose to "lap top" at 750hp but I have not made any real dyno pulls with it yet. I am not real worried about this motor because there are already plans to build a big cube blower motor to replace it eventually but this one should work pretty well for letting me get used to the boat. I may be dreaming here by trying to get this set up somewhere close to triple digits but it should at least run "pretty good." I might have to wait for the other motor to break into the century mark. I have a thread over in the "build section" called Bucket List that has some pics & info on the boat and I think most everyone has seen this video but here is one of the motor running before the Tunnel Ram was installed.

A full roller 462 will be fine. Ported 781 oval ports are my favorite bang for the buck head. A good set of ovals with a roller cam and tunnel ram will break the century mark especially with 14:1. My old 467 was only 12:1 with a flat tappet and iron 990 heads and it ran 102. Surely the ovals with a roller flow as much as those 990s did with a flat tappet. Then add the compression and I think the century mark is definitely in your grasp.

customtouch

Carnivalride said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:
customtouch said:
HellinnFrnt said:
customtouch said:
Carnivalride said:

Thanks James, how have you been I haven't seen you since Boat bash 2

years ago. I hope to make a few more events next year. I hoped to do this Texas deal but when they moved it to the 12th it interfered with some previous plans.

A full roller 462 will be fine. Ported 781 oval ports are my favorite bang for the buck head. A good set of ovals with a roller cam and tunnel ram will break the century mark especially with 14:1. My old 467 was only 12:1 with a flat tappet and iron 990 heads and it ran 102. Surely the ovals with a roller flow as much as those 990s did with a flat tappet. Then add the compression and I think the century mark is definitely in your grasp.

I think it is "possible", but there is no doubt that the key will be in getting it set up & dialed in right and I have no real experience at that on a v-drive. Fortunately, I have been meeting and talking to a lot of people that do and trust me, I am all ears!!!! I will be relying heavily on people like JJ, Billy, you (if possible) and who ever else with experience that will let me pick their brain.  The boat was raced for several seasons before I got it and according to the crew chief it has seen 140, but that was with BIG power. I disassembled it in a way that I should be able to put it back exactly like it was so I am hoping that will be a pretty good starting point. However, once I get past the cosmetic part of the build I will probably wear out my welcome with questions. LOL!!

73 Sanger Flat

Anything I can do to help , just let me know . Sorry did not get a chance last time to take you for a spin in mine. Maybe next time .. Hell I am still learning . It is fun learning .. Maybe one of these days I will get serious about getting mine dialed in .. Probable not . i have too much fun out there .. JJ has a ton of knowledge when it comes to these boats , and I been picking Loren's brain also ..

customtouch

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Anything I can do to help , just let me know . Sorry did not get a chance last time to take you for a spin in mine. Maybe next time .. Hell I am still learning . It is fun learning .. Maybe one of these days I will get serious about getting mine dialed in .. Probable not . i have too much fun out there .. JJ has a ton of knowledge when it comes to these boats , and I been picking Loren's brain also ..

Thanks Billy, I appreciate that!!

Carnivalride

Guys I think you're always learning on these boats. lol

I've had this one for over 20 years and I'm still messing with it.  :smile16:

Reviewing the videos has me thinking it needs a touch bigger squirter on the secondaries. I also think I need to raise the center plate 1/2 a turn and see where the fin is then. See always something with these darn things.

customtouch

Carnivalride said:
Guys I think you're always learning on these boats. lol

I've had this one for over 20 years and I'm still messing with it.  :smile16:

Reviewing the videos has me thinking it needs a touch bigger squirter on the secondaries. I also think I need to raise the center plate 1/2 a turn and see where the fin is then. See always something with these darn things.

Probably true................but some of us have a little more to learn than others!!!  :grin: