Give Me Your Opinions Please

customtouch

I have been working on the floors of my boat and I am weighing out my options. My original plan was to just redo the black like the factory and flow coat it, but I have been working my azz off stripping it down to decent clear an I still have a looooong way to go. (It has been done a couple of times already.) I could actually have the inside shot in any color of bed liner for free if I decided I wanted to. Lots of pro's and con's to using bedliner though. This is the way I see it right now but I am looking for opinions and input on what I might not have thought of.

PROS:
1. ALOT EASIER AND CHEAPER FOR ME!!!  (a big one)
2. More durable and worry free from scratching with use.
3. It will never oxidize and have to be redone again.
4. Easier maintainance.
5. ALOT EASIER AND CHEAPER FOR ME!!!!  :grin:

CONS:
1. Won't look near as cool as a well done wood floor.
2. Won't be able to monitor the condition of the floor as well.
3. May devalue it and scare away some potential buyers should I ever decide to sell it.
4. Will probably be hotter and more slipery than original floor.

73 Sanger Flat

I would redo it with Flowcoat or something . I would not put a bedliner in it .. Yes the Flowcoat will scratch some , but it will still look good and you will be able to see what is happening to the boat , plus everyone  thinks with bedliner you are trying to cover something up if you ever want to sell it .. Black stripe it and Flowcoat over it would be my preference .
Billy..

Devilman

Man.. that is kind of a tough decision. You make a pretty good case either way. On your list of cons, I would say #2 and #3 would be the biggest concerns. Your list of pros is pretty convincing though. :grin:

I wouldn't think it would be hot if you went with a light color. My floor doesn't get that hot, it is gel though.

I dunno David, I am leaning towards doing it up as a wood floor like nature intended. Hard to beat one that is done well & while it is more work, I think you would be more pleased with it in the long run.

customtouch

I also thought about doing between the outside of the stringers and up the side wall in a gray liner and leaving the middle done in wood with a matching gray gel coat instead of black. The boat will be painted gray and white.

ChryslerJet

David Here is a rebuttal to one of your Pros' it will fade in color.  Lighter colors fade less red fades the most black turns to charcoal at some point.  Also Bed liner is heavier per square inch than anything else you can do.

Devilman

I would have gel sprayed before bedliner.

And someone can check the regs, but if you end up around some purists, bedlining the floor of a classic v-drive may be grounds for an azz-kicking in certain counties, so there is that to consider as well. think.gif

Kidding of course. :cheesy: :undecided: :grin:

scarabscs

I would take the time and do it right. Bed liner will hold water under it if you ever have a leak. You won't know until you have a bubble. Also like the guys said earlier, it scares buyers away. Good luck either way!

Devilman

Wait.... what if you sprayed the bedliner, but did it in a wood grain pattern... eh?  think.gif :smile16:

:grin:

Becket

scarabscs said:
I would take the time and do it right. Bed liner will hold water under it if you ever have a leak. You won't know until you have a bubble. Also like the guys said earlier, it scares buyers away. Good luck either way!
BINGO!

Becket

scarabscs said:
Speaking from experience with Boats with Bed liner sprayed in them, I personally would NEVER buy a Boat with it sprayed in it.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
David, bedliner will not do any boat with your work on it any justice. Just sayin! :smile16:

customtouch

Yea, I had a feeling that 1 & 5 wouldn't have much impact with this group!! LOL!! I would probably be pissed at myself later if I did do the bedliner on it because that would be a bitch to get back out later. I think the floor is just wearing me out a little and I am starting to get impatient. I guess I will just go down to HEB and get me some crackers to go with the whine!!!  :grin:

Knotty Girl

customtouch said:
Yea, I had a feeling that 1 & 5 wouldn't have much impact with this group!! LOL!! I would probably be pissed at myself later if I did do the bedliner on it because that would be a B**** to get back out later. I think the floor is just wearing me out a little and I am starting to get impatient. I guess I will just go down to HEB and get me some crackers to go with the whine!!!  :grin:

No need to go all the way to HEB there is a convenient store right down your street.  think.gif