Gears

beaverfab

I looked and no 29,37. I think I have a set of 32 in the Schiada if so I am going to change them if you have not found some  by then you have first chance. j.j.

fenceman

Nobody knows somebody who knows somebody who has a cousin with gears in his garage? Last resort is buy new. Does anyone have a connection on new ones?

jimsplace

fenceman said:
18's must be a dime a dozen, I have a set also.

I don't know that you can get many sets for the dime a dozen in this economy, but they sure work well in a lot of V-Drives.
No luck on the 32's?

beaverfab

Billy I think I have a set of 25's there is no 27 that I know of.
Brian call me I do not have your number 214-212-7034

jimsplace

soldier of fortune said:
468 871 5 percent over driven

Randall
It will depend on how fast you want to turn the motor.
J.J. is probably one of the best sources for information on selecting gears. 
The only way to know is trying them in your boat.  The second best method is using other boaters experience, but since our boats are different, how fast we turn the motor and how we drive them are all variables.
If it were mine, I would start with 22's and see what it does.  I would guess 22's or 25's will be in the neighborhood.  After just a few runs, figure out how many RPM the motor is turning and see if it's where you want it.  If it isn't, the gearing change is pretty proportional to the motor RPM.  Just change the gearing up or down the percentage you want the motor RPM to change.
V-Drives like RPM, so generally speaking, the more the better, but there is a limit to what the motor will tolerate before it self-destructs.
Good luck.

P.S.
If J.J. tells you something different, go with his advice. IMO
    :smile17:

beaverfab

Randall
What prop are you running? If your running a 16 pitch prop 10 7/8 to 11 1/4" dia. I would start with 22's most lake racing is less than 1/4 mile, so the 22's will get you there quick. If the 22's are to low then move up to 25's or 29's. If your engine wants to turn more rpm then you want it to with 22's then 25's will lower the rpm around 300 rpm. If you went to the 29's from 22 your rpm will drop around 600. But the boat may be hard to drive out of the hole.