Gear box noise

Carnivalride

dragally said:
Duh, < slap-n head) I see what you mean now. Okay, I'll go look N see if mine is like that and start draining!!!!!!!!!! :smile21:
Maybe it was completely empty from when it was taken apart last time? It has been sitting in his garage for 6 years!

Here is a better pic of that "fill to hole". Down between the shaft and outer bolt hole.
97704_shafts_installed.jpg

If I was you I'd pull the front cover and make sure water hasn't gotten in it. Here's is what happens if they get water in them and it sets (not mine BTW). I hope something like this is not why yours sounds rough.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

3boatpaul

look's to me like your lower shaft cover is covering it up  :smile15: look at you'r 2nd pic water hose then thru bolt below that should be you'r oil hole

Carnivalride

dragally said:
I'm just not seeing one.
2524parts051.jpg

Well it looks like that reverse output piece covers it up. So I don't know if yours is like the standard one under that or not. I've never seen a deal like yours so I'm out of suggestions. I think I might have the number for Casale if you want it.

dragally

Carnivalride said:
dragally said:
I'm just not seeing one.
2524parts051.jpg

Well it looks like that reverse output piece covers it up. So I don't know if yours is like the standard one under that or not. I've never seen a deal like yours so I'm out of suggestions. I think I might have the number for Casale if you want it.

It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. If you can find the number please post it here.
Thanks

duanehydro

That reverse unit is different than the one's I've worked on as well. That box will hold a considerable amount more oil than an in/out box, though, as the reverse unit shares the fluid..it appears this box was modified with an add on reverse unit from casale, possibly?

99-805.jpg
<This is the standard unit I've seen.

CASALE ENGINEERING, INC.
13030 EAST TELEGRAPH ROAD
SANTA FE SPRINGS,  CA.  90670
PH.562-906-4825  FAX 562-906-4827
e-mail:  Casale1vdrive@msn.com
Open M-F 10a.m.-7p.m.

73 Sanger Flat

I never seen one like that , like I said in the begginning , CALL  JJ , He has been around these V-Drive for a long time and I would trust what ever he tells me on a V-Drive set up . I am sure he could tell you how  to check the fluid level if there is no plug to remove  , maybe a certain bolt toward the center of the output shaft on the outter case ??

JJ : Where are you at , Just chime in here and strighten all of us out .. PLEASE >.

73 Sanger Flat

Carnivalride said:
dragally said:
I appreciate your concern but as you see in the pics there is only one place to fill it. This is where I have filled all my boxes. Welding rod pointed to fill hole plug.

2524parts048.jpg

Correct that is the fill hole.

Now on the backside of this case (same side) there will be the "fill level hole" like I tried to explain. It will be about the same level as the centerline of the output shaft. In the photo I tried to attach look on the right side, it looks like he has a gold or a brass plug and it's only about 1/4 the way up from the bottom.

Maybe use one of the bolts on the bottom front cover plate that is halfway up the cover.... that should be close to the same as our full plug . Maybe ?

dragally

It's a puzzle for sure. Somebody post up JJs number please or PM it to me. I'll get to it in a couple of hours. Painting the house and need to take advantage of the mornings. TIA

dragally

Duanehydro said:
That reverse unit is different than the one's I've worked on as well. That box will hold a considerable amount more oil than an in/out box, though, as the reverse unit shares the fluid..it appears this box was modified with an add on reverse unit from casale, possibly?

99-805.jpg
<This is the standard unit I've seen.

CASALE ENGINEERING, INC.
13030 EAST TELEGRAPH ROAD
SANTA FE SPRINGS,  CA.  90670
PH.562-906-4825  FAX 562-906-4827
e-mail:  Casale1vdrive@msn.com
Open M-F 10a.m.-7p.m.

Yes, this one is a little different. I always end up with bast@rd children!

Carnivalride

dragally said:
Carnivalride said:
dragally said:
I'm just not seeing one.
2524parts051.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. If you can find the number please post it here.
Thanks

Casale Engineering
13030 E. Telegraph Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
562 906-4825

73 Sanger Flat

I believe mine have Redline Synthetic 90-140 ? I can check tonight and look on the bottle that JJ used for mine the last time we changed gears. 

Carnivalride

Mike said:
What kind of oil do you guys run in yours?

Typically a 90-140W oil. When I'm playing with new combinations I just use conventional oil but once I'm set on a gear I use synthetic and I change mine once a year.

dragally

I have called and called and all I get is an answering machine. JJ if youread this give me a call @ 623-256-9759 or pm me so I can pm you back.
Thanks
Ron

beaverfab

I am there M-F from 7:00 am till 3:30 pm Dallas time, I will call you friday, except next week going to the big salt flat dyno ,  :smile19:  thanks j.j.