Gear box noise

dragally

Took the boat out last night and the box has a grinding noise in it. It goes in gear and drives but it grinds. This is a Casale with a forward, neutral and revers! I never saw one with reverse before. Any way what the He!! could be going on here? Where do I start and what do I do???

jimsplace

I agree with Brazos River Rat. 

Call J.J..  He is the person with the knowledge and the parts if needed. 

He is also someone who you can put your trust in to fix it correctly.

spd500

When I bought my boat it had the same problem the first time out . I tore into it myself deep enough to find metal flakes and then took it to Duanne and he repaired the box for me . I got really lucky on mine , Randall found me a used box for cheap to get spare parts out of . Those gears are expensive for the old style boxes , and not easy to find .

Carnivalride

dragally said:
Took the boat out last night and the box has a grinding noise in it. It goes in gear and drives but it grinds. This is a Casale with a forward, neutral and revers! I never saw one with reverse before. Any way what the He!! could be going on here? Where do I start and what do I do???

If your mechanical pull the front cover and take a look, if not take it to some one who knows what their doing. Hopefully it just needs bearings because shafts and gears get expensive. I have no experience with a Casale that has reverse so I'll bow out here.

73 Sanger Flat

I would disconnect the drive shaft and the prop shaft and see how it feels by just spinning it with your hands. If it is not smooth by spinning it with your hands , then you got something wrong in it . I know it is a pain to disconnect this stuff , but that would be a starting point after you talk to JJ .. 972-438-2277  7:00 -3:00 PM

dragally

Thanks guys, I have the seats out and am ready to start . I'll drain the gear oil first and then disconnect the drive and prop shaft. I see some gasket maker on the engine side of the case so this tells me it has been apart before (most have) and when I get that far I'll call JJ . If it is a gear hopefully it's the reverse, I'll just leave it out. Seems to be too comfy for a man like me! :smile23: Anyone know how far the engine should be mounted from the transom on this boat?

dragally

Good news, I think! The frigging box was over 1 qt low. I filled it til it just started to seep out and ran it a little. At first it still made the grinding noise but after a few starts and shiftings it sounds more like the normal v-drive chatter. I'll test it in the next few days and let you know how it's going.

73 Sanger Flat

did you fill it to the oil hole at the top or where ?

On my Casale , it only take like two pints , you do not fill mine up to the top oil fill hole . It has two holes , and it should be filled to the bottom one on a regular casale , Do not know on the casale with a reverse ,

If you overfill it ,  you will know, it will puke VERY HOT gear lube all over the boat and you also , I know , I have a scare to prove it ..

Any way , hope that will fix it

dragally

Yes I did, to the top. Thats where I have always filled them to. The noise quit so if it wants to throw it out to a level it wants to live at so be it. :smile20:

73 Sanger Flat

Does it have a vent on top of the box ? If so , that where it will puke it out from . If no vent , it may build up to much pressure and try to push a seal out ..

My puke it out because it got hot and expanded and had no room to go , I had it filled to the top like yours also , so it puke it out the top vent and sprayed both myself and my passenger with VERY HOT gear lube .

I would call JJ and talk to him .

On my Cole TR-4 , I do not run water through mine now , and it does not puke any out , so I learned not to overfill it .
It gets a little hot to the touch , but I have had no problem running like this , I have driven 14 or 15 mile one way and no problems,

Carnivalride

I think what Brazos River Rat is trying to say is that on a typical Casale the fill hole is in the front on the passenger side straight across from the input shaft cover. The fill to hole is on the passenger side back just above the output shaft centerline and less than half way up the case. You treat this like a rear end in a car or manual transmission you don't want it above this level or it'll puke gear oil out like you wouldn't believe. That nice white interior of yours will be a complete PITA to clean to. Hopefully your reverse deal is a different animal than ours otherwise we warned you.

Loren

dragally

I appreciate your concern but as you see in the pics there is only one place to fill it. This is where I have filled all my boxes. Welding rod pointed to fill hole plug.

2524parts048.jpg

2524parts045.jpg

Carnivalride

dragally said:
I appreciate your concern but as you see in the pics there is only one place to fill it. This is where I have filled all my boxes. Welding rod pointed to fill hole plug.

2524parts048.jpg

Correct that is the fill hole.

Now on the backside of this case (same side) there will be the "fill level hole" like I tried to explain. It will be about the same level as the centerline of the output shaft. In the photo I tried to attach look on the right side, it looks like he has a gold or a brass plug and it's only about 1/4 the way up from the bottom.

1980_Canyon_078.jpg

73 Sanger Flat

That is the way mine is Loren . :smile15:

JJ used two pint to fill mine up . or half a court of the Synthetic ( spelling ?)Lube

If you fill it up , I believe you will be puking oil out . But , it is your new boat , so you can do what you like ..

dragally

Duh, < slap-n head) I see what you mean now. Okay, I'll go look N see if mine is like that and start draining!!!!!!!!!! :smile21:
Maybe it was completely empty from when it was taken apart last time? It has been sitting in his garage for 6 years!

dragally

Well I checked and there is no plug on mine in the back.

Also what plugs should I run in this thing? The ones in there now are wet and dark.  I checked the compression and it has 200lbs on all cyls. I don't know the displacement of this motor but I do know that it started out as a 4 bolt 454 and has Merlin cast heads running a 1050 dominator and has a crane cam with someting like 750 lift/ duration. Thats all I know about it.