Gear box noise

dragally

beaverfab said:
I am there M-F from 7:00 am till 3:30 pm Dallas time, I will call you friday, except next week going to the big salt flat dyno ,  :smile19:  thanks j.j.

I'll be out of town all weekend JJ. PM me when you get back in town. Thanks.

MikeV-Drive

This might be a Dum question but Can Any of you guys tell me if There is suppose to be a grease fitting on the bottom of the prop shaft mount under the boat. mine just started making a lot of nose when you spine the prop like it is metal to metal or maybe it needs greased but mine has no spot to grease or grease fitting, or is there a bushing in there I need to replace?

duanehydro

Mike said:
This might be a Dum question but Can Any of you guys tell me if There is suppose to be a grease fitting on the bottom of the prop shaft mount under the boat. mine just started making a lot of nose when you spine the prop like it is metal to metal or maybe it needs greased but mine has no spot to grease or grease fitting, or is there a bushing in there I need to replace?
those bushings are water fed....take a little squirt of wd-40 and spray into the strut bushing and try to turn again...as long as there is no lateral play, it's probably just dry. Have you been running the boat, or just spinning the prop by hand, making motor noises?? :grin:

73 Sanger Flat

Duane is correct , no grease fittings . If you start the boat and drop it into gear out of the water , it will make a lot of noises.
Not good to do , this will wear the fiber bushings out quick

Spray some water or something up into the shaft and strut bushings and see if that will make the noise go away .

Like Duane said , check the play in the prop shaft and see if you get any movement , side to side and up and down . 

If you have very much play , then you need to replace the fiber bushings with new ones .

MikeV-Drive

There’s not much play maybe a very little but not much. And I have not cranked the boat in gear just spoon the prop by hand just have not noticed it before I was just cleaning everything and happen to spine the prop and it went to making all the noise and it made me worried Ill try the w-d 40 and see if that helps thanks 

jimsplace

MIKE V-DRIVE

Are you aware there is a bushing in the strut.  It is usually a fiber material or it can be rubber or delrin.  There are usually two pieces, it is actually only one piece when it's bought, but its cut in half and then placed in each end of the strut.

If you are hearing or feeling a metal to metal sound, the bushing probably needs to be replaced.  Another possibility is the prop rubbing against the strut.  That isn't good and probably not it, but check.

Some of the high horsepower hydros do use a grease zirk in the strut.  Most v-drives don't though.

MikeV-Drive

Yes I'm Aware there is a bushing in there but just did'nt know if there had been or could of been a grease fitting in them!