Finally ! but would like some opinions

TBendCondor

Was finally able to take the boat to the lake this morning, first time since installing the new MANUAL fuel pump. Ran like a top! Very glad of that.
    Cranked boat on trailer while still in water just  to look it over. Noticed water coming from under bell-housing by starter. Must be a freeze plug leaking (water still squirting out of dump very good) This could have been happening since i bought the boat (first time ive cranked it where i could walk around it and look) really dont know. Was wanting to run this thing some before putting it up and doing any major work.
  Opinions...........do yall think it would hurt to run it this way ?

Disturbed

I would replace the freeze plug.  If it blows out completely, it could sink you in a hurry.  :smile30:

duanehydro

Sounds like a rear plug, or a cracked block, have a good look. I do not suggest "trying" it. It will sink fast.

TBendCondor

Can yall direct me to any written directions on how to remove the driveline and motor?

Thanks for the info...........

duanehydro

just hook up to it, disconnect all wiring and hoses, pull engine up slightly and forward at the same time. leave driveline connected..pull bellhousing, driveline, adapter, flywheel. Replace freeze plugs, or engine, reassemble. clap.gif (condensed version)

spd500

Kinda depends on what your setup is . On mine I could just keep the weight of the motor supported and unbolt the rear cover and replace the freeze plug . Some setups have more in the way than others , but it should be pretty simple .

california

Just make sure that is what is leaking first a friend of mine got a wild hair a few years ago and went to corpus and bought that boat. When he pulled into town he hit the river and called me complaining. The block had a crack in it and the guy put jb weld on it and sprayed paint over it so it would be hard to notice. So he got back in the truck and went back to corpus. Surprising enough the guy gave him his money back. I did see when he was selling it again he had it listed with a new block. so not saying he didnt fix it but might want to look it over.

TBendCondor

That would be about my luck!!!!  Here are a couple of pics of what it looks like a back of motor. Not sure how to pull it apart

Attachments

• back of motor 1.jpg
    back of motor 1.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 129

spd500

You should be able to support the back of the motor and take the bellhousing off without too much trouble . It looks like you will have to move the wiring block out of the way and disconnect a few ground wires , but I don't really see much in the way .

TBendCondor

This is my first time on a jet. It does seem that the smaller piece that bolts to the back of the bell housing is upside down, because you have to unbolt it from the bottom. and also it looks like this is supporting the back of the motor. If so, the way it is, the split part on top only has two 5/16 bolts holding up the motor. If it were the other way, the whole solid piece would be supporting the motor. 

If i unbolt the bell housing will the motor slide forward off the driveline?  I cant seem to see any way of getting to the drive line itself.

SimplyOrange

the rear piece is upside down, and i too would pull the motor, unless you like standing on your head to change freeze plugs.

WAFOBABY

Take most of there advise and pull the motor you will thank yourself later.  Very easy if your affraid of the wireing and hooking back up just mark/label  everything..  But its very simple

CarbonMonoxide

The bell housing is on there just the way it was designed. You can't mount it any other way. For those that want to second guess, you can't bolt the top two holes into the oil pan. This install is correct. That little hole is an attempt at an inspection hole.