Exhaust tip removal and installation

Crusader

Instead of continuing on with a lengthy thread where this all started, I decided to post up a new thread with as much detail as I'm capable of (don't expect much, lol). Here's the thread from where this thread is continuing from:

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=11790.0

Also, I got a lot of help from Tom over at Jetboat Performance too.

http://forum.jetboatperformance.biz/index.php/topic,20.0.html

Originally I started off with these Trumpet style exhaust tips:
5a9cc3eb.jpg

The trumpets appeared to be fine however my desire to upgrade to the below tips was actually a blessing in disguise, as you'll soon see.
10a44dd2.jpg

ca0b82d9.jpg

First thing I wanted to do was take the old tips off. Come to find out that they have probably been installed in this boat since it was made in 1978 and they were extremely difficult to remove. So once I scraped away all of the caulking and sealant, I went to town. I had to use my trucks scissor jack to push the old tip out as there was no other way it was coming out.
58d54a29.jpg

Once the tip came out (with a lot of persuasion) I then discovered I had bigger issues than anticipated on my hands....this is where the blessing comes into play. As you can see, the pipe was so corroded that the water was leaking into the boat through the holes that developed over time.
34bc22b0.jpg

65e7c2a2.jpg

The result of that leaking exhaust pipe is some rot in the transom wood.
069e1231.jpg

So I cut a bigger, 4 inch hole, in the transom to accommodate the larger exhaust pipes and then had to fill in the rotted area with matting and epoxy resin.
9147ced8.jpg

14276782.jpg

After the epoxy dried, I had to re-fit the new tips
e18a8d96.jpg

dfb4a782.jpg

I used the GE Silicone to seal the tips in as well as 1 inch SS lag screws to attach the tips to the transom. After spending a Saturday and a Sunday on this project, the final outcome turned out to be an incredible success.
98883f97.jpg

b06f205d.jpg

Crusader

Thanks RH.....hopefully this will help someone else who's anticipating taking on this same type of project.

Devilman

Friggin sweet, good job man! Looks killer, almost makes me wanna go back thru-transom exhaust.... :grin:

Good that were able to nip that transom problem in the bud as well. That will definitely save you & your wallet a headache later. :cool:

Crusader

Thanks guys....I have the last picture above of the transom up as my computer wallpaper and can't stop staring at it. Lol..... 

Devilman

Cool deal.. I guess I need to call 'em soon, see if they have any with an angled mounting flange.

Crusader

In fact, you'd actually want 0 degrees...as the tips will point slightly down.....and that's what you want. Mine are 0 degree angles.... and barely point down.... nice look to them.

Devilman

k.. ya figured I would just need to talk to him & see what they had. I know there are some made with like a 12 or 16 degree angle and something like that would look better on my boat I think. With an angle cut tip anyway, which is what I was wanting to get. A straight cut tip pointing down wouldn't look too bad, seen that on a lot of boats.

Thanks, sure do. :wink:

Devilman

Crusader said:
In fact, you'd actually want 0 degrees...as the tips will point slightly down.....and that's what you want. Mine are 0 degree angles.... and barely point down.... nice look to them.

Your transom is pretty straight up & down isn't it? Mine is angled. Probably not the proper terminology :cheesy:

This is what mine looks like from the side, see the angle of the surface of the transom...

Devilman

I may be alright with the flat mount style then. Will check mine with one of those angle finder doohickeys, but looks pretty close to mine. Thanks for the pics!

So since my transom has no holes, when we do cut them I guess I can just coat the exposed wood with resin? Thats what I was told when putting the other new holes in it. Guess this shouldn't be any different.