does anybody know how to hook a transmission up in a vdrive?

73 Sanger Flat

I was alway told first gear in a power glide  was way too low to do any good in a V-Drive , You will see mostly Turbo 400 in v-drives .. It help them in the no wakes zones and also help the bigger day cruiser to get out of the hole easier ..

I would find a velvet drive out of a Ski boat and use it .. They are very short and has a reverse.. That what was in my Sanger .. That is also what is in JJ V-Drive Cruiser .. Then get the oil coler out of the ski boat and use it ..
Unless you make a lot more power , it not worth it to add a T-400 ,, You have too build more power for the weight of the transmission just to break even .. They are nice in the bigger boats ..

Gold Member

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
I was alway told first gear in a power glide  was way too low to do any good in a V-Drive , You will see mostly Turbo 400 in v-drives .. It help them in the no wakes zones and also help the bigger day cruiser to get out of the hole easier ..

I would find a velvet drive out of a Ski boat and use it .. They are very short and has a reverse.. That what was in my Sanger .. That is also what is in JJ V-Drive Cruiser .. Then get the oil coler out of the ski boat and use it ..
Unless you make a lot more power , it not worth it to add a T-400 ,, You have too build more power for the weight of the transmission just to break even .. They are nice in the bigger boats ..
Actually a power glide has a real tall first gear but they sale just about any gear setup you want it these days.

customtouch

I will be putting a powerglide in the tr2 that I am building mainly because I want the convenience of having neutral for racing and 1st gear for no-wake zones. I am using an SFI-29.1 approved flexplate, a CSR composite flexplate safety shield, and a CSR transmission safety shield also "just in case". I will probably be using this style converter replacement because I like the one piece design. (I don't know if it is better or not, it just looks like a better design to me).  I would also recommend a shifter that has a reverse lockout.

http://www.autotransdesign.com/motorsports_ServiceCenter/productdetails.asp?ID=81

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
I will be putting a powerglide in the tr2 that I am building mainly because I want the convenience of having neutral for racing and 1st gear for no-wake zones. I am using an SFI-29.1 approved flexplate, a CSR composite flexplate safety shield, and a CSR transmission safety shield also "just in case". I will probably be using this style converter replacement because I like the one piece design. (I don't know if it is better or not, it just looks like a better design to me).  I would also recommend a shifter that has a reverse lockout.

http://www.autotransdesign.com/motorsports_ServiceCenter/productdetails.asp?ID=81
That looks like a simple design. When can we see some recent pics of your boat? think.gif

customtouch

Patchman said:
customtouch said:

That looks like a simple design. When can we see some recent pics of your boat? think.gif

There is not much to show at this point other than what I have already posted. The engine and trans are built & ready and I have rummaged together "most" of the obvious big parts I should need for it, but it is hard to find the time to get any work done on it. Being a business owner, my customers stuff has to come first and that usually doesn't leave much time for my projects. About all I have been able to accomplish on it  is to gut the boat and scrape most of the dead clear from the floor. I am hoping to get the floors sanded and shot soon. People have always given me a hard time because I own a custom paint shop and everything "I" own is solid white. Crap, I am happy if I can find the time to just keep my stuff running. lol

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
Patchman said:
customtouch said:

There is not much to show at this point other than what I have already posted. The engine and trans are built & ready and I have rummaged together "most" of the obvious big parts I should need for it, but it is hard to find the time to get any work done on it. Being a business owner, my customers stuff has to come first and that usually doesn't leave much time for my projects. About all I have been able to accomplish on it  is to gut the boat and scrap most of the dead clear from the floor. I am hoping to get the floors sanded and shot soon. People have always given me a hard time because I own a custom paint shop and everything "I" own is solid white. Crap, I am happy if I can find the time to just keep my stuff running. lol
I hear you! :smile19:

The General

Randall, if this thread is in reference to your hydro...

From all the research I've done an automatic such as a powerglide or a turbo 350/400 is just gonna slow you down

I was looking into this many years ago as I have both a powerglide and a turbo 400 laying around

If we were talking about a cruiser or something where you were more concerned with top speed and wanted to pull a big gear in the casale and not worried about quick acceleration they would work good.

If you want to pull a big gear in your hydro, a lenco with some decent HP would work.

Just my .02 from what I've read

The General said:
Randall, if this thread is in reference to your hydro...

From all the research I've done an automatic such as a powerglide or a turbo 350/400 is just gonna slow you down

I was looking into this many years ago as I have both a powerglide and a turbo 400 laying around

If we were talking about a cruiser or something where you were more concerned with top speed and wanted to pull a big gear in the casale and not worried about quick acceleration they would work good.

If you want to pull a big gear in your hydro, a lenco with some decent HP would work.

Just my .02 from what I've read

what hydro? you been gone way too long i just sold another hydro