Difference between a Holley blue & black fuel pump?

73 Sanger Flat

Glad you got the problem fixed and congrats on the 101 mph with a passsenger , that is awesome  !!
Sounds like you got it dialed in pretty good ..

Carnivalride

73 Sanger Flat said:
Glad you got the problem fixed and congrats on the 101 mph with a passsenger , that is awesome  !!
Sounds like you got it dialed in pretty good ..

Thanks, I did a lot of work around 99-01, recontoured the bottom and shifted some hardware locations. That stuff made a big difference and then freshening the motor from 9:1 to 12.5:1 really woke things up to.

Currently I'm just trying to get that tunnel ram tuned as best I can before the races this year. I want an honest comparison between it and my old single 4 set up so I can answer my own question of what a tunnel ram really worth on my boat. LOL

Hoping for 2/10-2.5/10ths on the 1000' courses.

73 Sanger Flat

Keep us posted on the outcome of that . I like the single four myself for my lake boat , but everyone tell me that a Tunnel Ram sould gain  40-50 more HP .

I hope it works out great for you this year with the new set up .

Carnivalride

73 Sanger Flat said:
Keep us posted on the outcome of that . I like the single four myself for my lake boat , but everyone tell me that a Tunnel Ram sould gain  40-50 more HP .

I hope it works out great for you this year with the new set up .

I won't be able to give you HP numbers since I don't dyno but I'll have final GPS comparisons in a few weeks and possibly some time slip comparisons from Purcell if I can sneak away. If not I'll have to catch a 1/4mile race a little later in the year. So far my flash rpm is 400rpm higher and max rpm is 150rpm higher. So it's quicker and faster but by how much? To keep the tests the same I haven't changed gears or prop to optimize the tunnel ram. The only change was my induction set up.

Old set up
EnginecloseupPurcell.jpg

New set up
IMG_2795-1.jpg

Carnivalride

badblood said:
I used a holley blue on my 565 and it made 915hp.
badblood said:
Black pump puts out more gph but I doubt that he needs a bigger pump. My point is the holley blue is enough pump to feed 900hp motor if it is installed properly.

Hey badblood I read these two post and I disagree. A Holley blue pump would be marginal at best to feed a 900hp mill even if the rest of the fuel system was optimized. I mean a tank that gravity fed the pump and the tank, pump and regulator all being located in front of the engine with a short of lines as possible.

• It takes approximately .5lbs of fuel per HP
• Most 110 racing fuels typically weigh around 6.1lbs per gallon
• Holley's Blue is only rated at 110 GPH free flow and 70GPH @ 9psi

So even if you drop your fuel pressure to 7psi the Blue pump will probably only put out a little less than 80GPH.

GPH Fuel wt Fuel lbs/hr Theoretical HP
80  6.1lbs  488    976
70  6.1lbs  427    854

So best case scenario the Holley Blue may possibly support 900hp if everything is perfect but between regulator and line loss I’m calling BS on your posts.

Loren

badblood

Call what you want but it went 104 on the motor and 114 on the spray.
and yes this is a JET. I will try to have it at palistine run on May 10 and you can run it!!

Carnivalride

badblood said:
  Call what you want but it went 104 on the motor and 114 on the spray.
and yes this is a JET. I will try to have it at palistine run on May 10 and you can run it!!

Why don't you make it to an SDBA race in Oklahoma and we'll see what it does on clocks.

Devilman

Carnivalride said:
FYI:

For what it's worth the biggest difference I saw between my old Holley Blue and the new Black was the in and out ports on the base, the Blue has around a .25" hole on the intake side leading to the impeller. The Black was a full size (compared to the 3/8 pipe thread). The black was the same way on the out side.

A side note my fuel pressure is now constant from idle to 7400rpm so I would say the problem is solved. GPS reading 101mph with a passenger aboard.  :grin: new personal best with a passenger. LOL  :smile13:

BTW this is still an iron headed, flat tappet cammed, .060" over 454.

Congrats on the new numbers, man.... Nice... :smile15:

Carnivalride

Devilman said:
Carnivalride said:
FYI:

For what it's worth the biggest difference I saw between my old Holley Blue and the new Black was the in and out ports on the base, the Blue has around a .25" hole on the intake side leading to the impeller. The Black was a full size (compared to the 3/8 pipe thread). The black was the same way on the out side.

A side note my fuel pressure is now constant from idle to 7400rpm so I would say the problem is solved. GPS reading 101mph with a passenger aboard.  :grin: new personal best with a passenger. LOL  :smile13:

BTW this is still an iron headed, flat tappet cammed, .060" over 454.

Congrats on the new numbers, man.... Nice... :smile15:

Thanks, trying to get it all ready to go for some of the get togethers this summer. Any of you going to try and hit the Okmulgee deal in August?

badblood

I would like to make an sdba race so I can qualify to race at Smokin in the cove this year, but I am about spent out and still dont have the motor back in. If I can I will run at Ft Worth race, my boat will tech, but I dont have a helmet, restraints, driving suit, etc. I need to have and will have to have a physical. Lot to do to go slower than I go at the lake!!

adjones419

A 900hp application along with Nitrous on a Holley blue fuel pump? Good luck with that! Or was the 900hp on motor alone? Either way, I'd say that's pushing it. Why not buy a real fuel pump and be done with it?

What do you think your JET will run in the 1/4 mile?

Carnivalride

adjones419 said:
A 900hp application along with Nitrous on a Holley blue fuel pump? Good luck with that! Or was the 900hp on motor alone? Either way, I'd say that's pushing it. Why not buy a real fuel pump and be done with it?

What do you think your JET will run in the 1/4 mile?

What's the deal your not running a "Blue" pump on that new blown alcohol dealio?  :smile12: