Difference between a Holley blue & black fuel pump?

Carnivalride

Hi guys anybody out there know the differences between a Holley blue fuel pump and the black? Basically my old Holley blue will no longer keep up with my fuel requirements at WOT so I was wondering if I could modify it like the "black" first or if I just need to look into a bigger fuel pump. From the pictures the two pumps look the same externally but I have never seen the inside of the "black".

Thanks,
Loren

Devilman

The "black" pump flows more than the "blue" is all ever heard, not sure other than that.

According to the descriptions in Jegs:

Blue flows 70 gph, maintaining 9 psi. freeflow capacity is 110 gph. not for use with alcohol

Black flows 120 gph, maintaining 9 psi. freeflow capacity is 140 gph. compatible with alcohol & methanol

Never seen any of them apart though....

duanehydro

looking at holley's site, it appears to be a completely different pump.....different rotor housing.....why not try the newer design pumps? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D125&N=700+4294925239+4294836965+400178+115&autoview=sku

Blender Man

You might try taking the lower part of the pump apart to see if the vains are still in good shape. I have two 930 holleys on top of the big block in the rogers running 7.5 pounds of fuel presure. It gets every drop of fuel it wants ...they do not last for ever and the do not like to sit after they have been  used, they dry up... good luck... :smile15:

okieron

the black is mainly used in alcohol apps at leat in cars. when re run metanol we run black if its just good old gas we run blue

Carnivalride

Blender Man said:
You might try taking the lower part of the pump apart to see if the vains are still in good shape. I have two 930 holleys on top of the big block in the rogers running 7.5 pounds of fuel presure. It gets every drop of fuel it wants ...they do not last for ever and the do not like to sit after they have been  used, they dry up... good luck... :smile15:

I just checked the bottom and the fuel filter so those are not the issues. Maybe the motor is finally giving up the ghost. What rpm are you turning and what cid are you running and is your regulator in front of the engine or behind it?

Thanks

Carnivalride

Duanehydro said:
looking at holley's site, it appears to be a completely different pump.....different rotor housing.....why not try the newer design pumps? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D125&N=700+4294925239+4294836965+400178+115&autoview=sku

That's an HP, I was considering this that has the ratings Devilman posted above.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D815%2D1&N=700+4294836965+115&autoview=sku

What I have only a much older version.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D12%2D812%2D1&N=700+4294836965+115&autoview=sku

Blender Man

The rogers has a 468 that I'an turning 6300 and the pump is on the transon and the regulator in on the right side of the intake... I wanted that used reulator that Duke and sandy had posted up for sale but they want to sell the intake all togather with out the carbs... :smile15:

Carnivalride

Blender Man said:
The rogers has a 468 that I'an turning 6300 and the pump is on the transon and the regulator in on the right side of the intake... I wanted that used reulator that Duke and sandy had posted up for sale but they want to sell the intake all togather with out the carbs... :smile15:

I'm going 900rpm more than you and trying to go higher than that with this set up. :evil: However the Gremlins are determined to keep me humble this year. Next spring I will continue trying.  :grin:

IMG_2799-1.jpg

IMG_2797-1.jpg

jdf

i gave up on the elec. pumps and put a 130 at 9 psi mech. pump on my flattie no more fuel head aches

badblood

For a Lake ride around boat you cant beat a high volume mechanical pump. But the Holley blue will feed your motor if you feed it power. Do you have a relay on the pump or is it running thru the key switch or a pull switch? I used a holley blue on my 565 and it made 915hp. Also do you run an alternator? Try putting a relay on the fuel pump, this makes it get its power from the battery not from the over taxed key switch.

sturat

I thought the black could take more abuse from being in a boat? Plus flowing more,Is this not the case?

badblood

Black pump puts out more gph but I doubt that he needs a bigger pump. My point is the holley blue is enough pump to feed 900hp motor if it is installed properly. Cheaper to correct wiring problem than to buy a new pump. Add the relay and the pump will run faster! More power to the pump = more fuel to the motor.

Carnivalride

badblood said:
For a Lake ride around boat you cant beat a high volume mechanical pump. But the Holley blue will feed your motor if you feed it power. Do you have a relay on the pump or is it running thru the key switch or a pull switch? I used a holley blue on my 565 and it made 915hp. Also do you run an alternator? Try putting a relay on the fuel pump, this makes it get its power from the battery not from the over taxed key switch.
I've used to run the high volume mechanical pump before and personally prefer the electric I bought this boat in peices back in 92 and it's gone through several stages of evolution since then. Juice to the pump was not the issue, looks like the pump may have just been getting old (was bought new in 94 and been running since) but the new "black" fixed the issue.

Carnivalride

badblood said:
Black pump puts out more gph but I doubt that he needs a bigger pump. My point is the holley blue is enough pump to feed 900hp motor if it is installed properly. Cheaper to correct wiring problem than to buy a new pump. Add the relay and the pump will run faster! More power to the pump = more fuel to the motor.

Once again not the wiring, this was a 14 year old pump. The pump is seeing a full battery voltage with line loss of less than .1 volt.

Carnivalride

FYI:

For what it's worth the biggest difference I saw between my old Holley Blue and the new Black was the in and out ports on the base, the Blue has around a .25" hole on the intake side leading to the impeller. The Black was a full size (compared to the 3/8 pipe thread). The black was the same way on the out side.

A side note my fuel pressure is now constant from idle to 7400rpm so I would say the problem is solved. GPS reading 101mph with a passenger aboard.  :grin: new personal best with a passenger. LOL  :smile13:

BTW this is still an iron headed, flat tappet cammed, .060" over 454.