Crusader Project

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
neverenuf said:
Too many cooks spoil the soup!  When I build an engine I do it alone if possible...don't want any distractions...thats how something gets overlooked.
Yep, got you trying to put the thrust bearing on the back journal! crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif :smile30:

blazeracer

One of the guys here never built a Ford and was surprised with the thrust bearing being in the middle. It all went well though. I think my ring compressor just compressed it's last ring though. It was giving us fits last night. The first seven went in with minimal difficulty, but the last piston took about 15 tries to get in it right.

Cliff did good. He even remembered to put the oil pump drive rod back in!!  jump.gif

Crusader

Well....gotta say I amplified what they were doing for humors sake. Actually everyone helped out tremendously and I appreciate their work. We didn't miss a thing and there was absolutely no BSing going on until we started cleaning up.

If this motor fails, I have no one to blame but myself....as I'm the one who's installed every component and torqued every nut and bolt. James and the crew are there strictly as "technical advisors".

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it will be rite this time! That's the trick to rebuilding, finding out why it failed and making sure it is all up to par. It can be challenging as hell sometimes! But when it is rite, it will run it's azz off! :smile16:

Crusader

Woo hoo!!

The first engine I've ever built from start to finish started up at the first turn in the key!!

I'll post progress photos later, but for now here some video!!

http://youtu.be/BF2pjs4W8HU

5A4EF925-FB62-401E-9B2D-ADEF839D6BF2-7947-0000034D14D0496F.mp4

neverenuf

Ok Cliff think.gif....go easy on that motor...let it at least get some break in time before you hold that throttle to the floor! jump.gif

Crusader

neverenuf said:
Ok Cliff think.gif....go easy on that motor...let it at least get some break in time before you hold that throttle to the floor! jump.gif

Will do bro...... I plan on being easy on her for the first 10 hours or so.... I ran it on the hose for about 20 minutes yesterday and will put her on the lake this Wednesday for "sea trials"..... lol.

The first real test will be this Saturday when we are down at Somerville lake for the Rocky creek thing.

Crusader

Okay guys...finally got a few minutes to post a few pictures.

After I removed the motor last Saturday 4/6/2013, I dropped the motor, crank, and pistons off at Blaines motors in Dallas. The did a fantastic job and I highly recommend anyone needing engine work, to bring it to Blaines and talk to Shawn........ top notch fellers.

Here's the block after I got it back on Thursday 4/11

Nicely honed cylinders.

Crank installed and thrust bearing measured within specs.

Nice, purdy Fold Blue short block on Saturday 4/13/2013

Dove-C heads installed. The head bolts are torqued to 140 pounds....not as difficult to do as James led me to believe.... must be that he's a weak Army guy....lol....just sayin'.

Cleaned up intake installed.

Motor is assembled....looks so much better.

James pretending he's a Bad A$$.....lol.

And of course the fist start up video.

http://youtu.be/BF2pjs4W8HU