Cleaning Cast aluminum intakes?

Devilman

If I were to try to clean it without pulling the intake, I would stick an old set of valve covers on it just to be safe & cover everything I could with plastic. I'd probably pull the carb as well, so it wouldn't be in the way. Spray it down with some aluminum brightener like they sell at the truck stops, or some of that wheel cleaner (Eagle 1 or ArmorAll brand works too) & scrub it some with an old toothbrush down in the nooks & crannies. Rinsing it with a garden hose will clean it off without making too big a mess splashing it everywhere.

Then, after its good & dry, I'd paint that biznatch so I wouldn't have to do it again in a few months, lol... :cool:

Disturbed

Turco has a product called 'Alumiprep 33'.  Its not your everyday cleaner.  It etches the aluminum and deep cleans in preparation for paint.  :smile12:  I would not use it if its still attached to anything else.  :smile12:

spd500

We use the Alumabrite on our big trucks , and that stuff will destroy anything that is highly polished . If you want to use it make sure there is nothing around that is polished , it will etch the polished surfaces . The stuff we get is acid based and works well for some areas , but we have some trucks that we will not use it on because we don't want it to ruin the nice polished tanks .

Disturbed

spd500 said:
We use the Alumabrite on our big trucks , and that stuff will destroy anything that is highly polished . If you want to use it make sure there is nothing around that is polished , it will etch the polished surfaces . The stuff we get is acid based and works well for some areas , but we have some trucks that we will not use it on because we don't want it to ruin the nice polished tanks .

Alumiprep is the same type stuff.  Only use on cast aluminum! 

spd500

we had a truck wash spray it all over one of our newer bobtails and I thought the boss was going to shoot someone . It took the detail shop a week to get the tank poished back out .

KONA77

Devilman said:
If I were to try to clean it without pulling the intake, I would stick an old set of valve covers on it just to be safe & cover everything I could with plastic. I'd probably pull the carb as well, so it wouldn't be in the way. Spray it down with some aluminum brightener like they sell at the truck stops, or some of that wheel cleaner (Eagle 1 or ArmorAll brand works too) & scrub it some with an old toothbrush down in the nooks & crannies. Rinsing it with a garden hose will clean it off without making too big a mess splashing it everywhere.

Then, after its good & dry, I'd paint that biznatch so I wouldn't have to do it again in a few months, lol... :cool:

have you done this kenny?,  when i built my motor back in the day for truck.... the intake got cruddy and i gave up on it,  i just thought before put this motor in the boat i would brighten the intake on it,

Devilman

Yeah it will mess up polished stuff for sure, even that store bought crap if you don't get it rinsed off good. I used that Armor All brake dust/wheel cleaner spray on a set of polished alum. wheels I used to have. It cleaned 'em right up, but what little bit of spray got behind the center caps, didn't get all rinsed out & leaked overnight..... leaving a nasty trail etched into the surface on all 4 wheels where it drained out & ran down the wheel... :tongue: I couldn't get rid of the stains, I just left those wheels on the truck when I traded it in... :rolleyes:

Devilman

KONA77 said:
have you done this kenny?,  when i built my motor back in the day for truck.... the intake got cruddy and i gave up on it,  i just thought before put this motor in the boat i would brighten the intake on it,

Roger, I haven't done exactly what you are trying to do (clean the intake without removing it) but I wouldn't be scared to try it, I'd just make damn sure anything you wouldn't want to take a chance on messing up, was protected. That & go easy with it, not splashing it around everywhere, even when rinsing... and it should be fine.

I thought the engine was in the boat, you are doing this to one on a stand?

KONA77

Devilman said:
KONA77 said:

Roger, I haven't done exactly what you are trying to do (clean the intake without removing it) but I wouldn't be scared to try it, I'd just make damn sure anything you wouldn't want to take a chance on messing up, was protected. That & go easy with it, not splashing it around everywhere, even when rinsing... and it should be fine.

I thought the engine was in the boat, you are doing this to one on a stand?

yep, it's not in the boat,  the one in the boat is painted black,  it needs cleaing and repainted,  and it will be coming out as well..... don't want my new carpet messed up,  worked to hard on that!

Devilman

KONA77 said:
yep, it's not in the boat,  the one in the boat is painted black,  it needs cleaing and repainted,  and it will be coming out as well..... don't want my new carpet messed up,  worked to hard on that!

If thats the case, put some old factory valve covers on it, stuff a rag in the intake & dist. hole and go to town on that rascal then, lol... Spray some on, scrub it, rinse, repeat if needed... :smile15:

KONA77

Devilman said:
KONA77 said:

If thats the case, put some old factory valve covers on it, stuff a rag in the intake & dist. hole and go to town on that rascal then, lol... Spray some on, scrub it, rinse, repeat if needed... :smile15:

that stuff won't hurt paint?,  if not,  that is what i will do,  :smile15:

Devilman

KONA77 said:

Ummm, not 100% on that, but I don't think so? Long as you don't get it on there & let it sit too long anyway. Keep the water hose handy so you can rinse quickly if needed. What paint you worried about, the engine paint?

KONA77

Devilman said:
KONA77 said:

Ummm, not 100% on that, but I don't think so? Long as you don't get it on there & let it sit too long anyway. Keep the water hose handy so you can rinse quickly if needed. What paint you worried about, the engine paint?

yep,  the paint not perfect but don't need it coming off,  i was degreasing under the hood of my cougar once and used some stuff call "purple power" and off come the paint  :smile21:

Devilman

KONA77 said:
yep,  the paint not perfect but don't need it coming off,  i was degreasing under the hood of my cougar once and used some stuff call "purple power" and off come the paint  :smile21:

Eh, I'd still do it. I'd just try & be careful, & keep the hose handy, but I think it would be fine. At least if it did happen to pull some paint off the block or heads, it be easy to touch it up with it on the stand. :smile13:

KONA77

i'll check the label,  i've said that before....that where i made the mistake with the degreaser... it said don't get on paint,  did not believe them because it was biodegradeable,  did not think it was that strong  :smile23:  was i wrong  :smile23:... normally an aluminum cleaner is some what mild and your right touching up the paint will be easy on the stand,  it needs it any way  :smile15:

txcrusader

KONA77 said:
Mr.Magoo said:
take it off and bring it to me :smile15:

tell me your secret  :tongue:
guys the best stuff i have used and will not hurt polished is castrol super clean ,carpet seats ect i have white interiour sorry for the spelling and it cleans any thing the worst it would do to gel coat is take the wax off

WAFOBABY

At O rielly auto they carry some stuff call mag its in a silver spray bottle it works good its like acid in a bottle work on any stain or greas with out rubbing GOOD STUFFF