Cleaning Cast aluminum intakes?

John

when i get my boat back from the fiberglass shop ive got a mess of an engine to clean up, valve covers will come clean with white diamond and elbow grease, Does any one have any tips on cleaning as cast aluminum intake manifolds?

Devilman

Can you do that while it's on the engine? Oldbuck bead-blasted my Victor for me awhile back, sure looked nice. :smile15: 

Pretty sure John's engine is assembled & in the boat, but was left to the elements & now looking to spruce it back up. I'd be interested to know as well, I would clean the crusty Performer that I'm running right now.... :smile13:

John

yeah when i posted this last night i almost said short of bead blasting, i dont feel like disassembling a running motor. the boat sat at my mechanic in houston and chalked up in the humidity. i was kinda thinking along the lines of a bronze/stiff plastic brush and vinegar? but worried about damaging gaskets 

Devilman

I hear ya, thats why the Performer on mine looks the way it does. Wasn't about to pull it apart just to clean it. We have some toilet cleaner hear at work, with acid (hydrochloric I believe). I attempted to clean the intake with that, but quit cause didn't want to chance ruining the finish on anything else in the process, lol....

The vinegar & brush may work ok, not sure how it would hurt any gaskets? If nothing else, your engine will have that "fresh, clean feeling" after your done. :grin:

John

yeah it needs it my motor is nasty looks like some one dumped baby powder all over it

C

CorDog009

John said:
yeah it needs it my motor is nasty looks like some one dumped baby powder all over it

Yep, my tunnel ram has several spots like that too. Most are down at the bottom where moisture has puddled up on the sides.

John

thanks, any idea what CLR does to gel coat?, is it a good idea to have water spraying in the bilge when i do that?  :huh: 

Tape off the rest of the engine and spray Eagle 1 cast wheel cleaner on it. Work it in with a wheel brush or toilet brush and then rinse it off. Don't get it on the paint of your engine. It will leave white spots on polished aluminum. The water deactivates it so don't worry about rinsing it off.

oldbuck40

John said:
thanks, any idea what CLR does to gel coat?, is it a good idea to have water spraying in the bilge when i do that?  :huh:
i wouldnt think it would hurt it at all! we have a fiberglass tub in one of the bathrooms and have to use it quite often being we are on well water and it does not discolor,remove the finish,or anything,,,you should be good to go!

oldbuck40

John said:
oldbuck, CLR what will it do to Anodized fittings?
i have no idea! dont have any in my bathroom! :smile23: :smile23: might test an old one if ya have it or say one thats outta sight on the boat!

John

well oldbuck unless the CLR i have is old or something it no workey, scotchbrite pad and vinegar seem to do a less than sellar job, i think i might go buy some new CLR tomorrow, and try it.

John

does any one else ever feel all they do is clean and polish, polish, polish their motor it seem all i ever do is clean on that S O B and it seems i never get it spotless  :smile18: 

The General

John said:
does any one else ever feel all they do is clean and polish, polish, polish their motor it seem all i ever do is clean on that S O B and it seems i never get it spotless  :smile18:

get everything chromed... then you clean it with windex

TahitiRat

Dose anyone in th dfw area have bead blaster. I would like to just pull mine intake off and blast it, if I can fond someone that wouldnt mind lettin me use theres.

:smile20: Thanks Eric

KONA77

has anyone come up with a way to clean cast aluminum intakes yet? ... with out blasting...  this thread almost died,