Cavitation plate

MikeV-Drive

Just wanting to know if there is any where I can look up online are etc. to learn how to adjust the cavitation plates or turn buckles on my V-Drive with the old motor it was fine no problem but now with the new motor and a few runs on a hard take off it wants to jump out of the water and lean to the left a little but once you get it under control it is fine on the big end just a little harry on the start ass some might of seen this weekend at coleto. just any info on how to get it under control are where I need to start would be great, thanks for any help.

duanehydro

Got it on video.....
1419336_1_25.gif

Might wanna talk to jj.....

73 Sanger Flat

Make sure you got enough travel in your down pedal asemble .. What prop do you have . Left or right turn .. Normally they want to push the right side down on take off if you have a left turning prop . That is how mine is set up . It also had longer eye levelers on the right side to push the right side plates down more on take off to compensate for the prop trying to twist the boat .. .

Once it takes a set , you are OK ?? Just on take off is the problem . I would think it needs more down plate then ..

Also : are your burning the prop on take off ???. If not , that could be your problem . You need to burn the prop on take off or the prop will man handle the boat ..

I'd try to lengthen the rod for more down plate. Should have a couple of turns at each end of the rod. Be easy on the thru transom seal. Should have no trouble at the pedal or handle. FYI, I was always told a good prop to start with was a 11.1/2 X 15. You want the prop to boil not walk! Best of Luck, Jerry

73 Sanger Flat

The prop will make a lot of difference in how it will handle . I gain 2 mph by borrowing a prop form Tony . Slipped a little more on take off ,but top end was more .. It was a 10 7/8 x16 and I normally run a 11x 16..
Every prop is different . Even the same exact size ..

Let us know what you do and if it helped ..

Carnivalride

Mike said:
Just wanting to know if there is any where I can look up online are etc. to learn how to adjust the cavitation plates or turn buckles on my V-Drive with the old motor it was fine no problem but now with the new motor and a few runs on a hard take off it wants to jump out of the water and lean to the left a little but once you get it under control it is fine on the big end just a little harry on the start A$$ some might of seen this weekend at coleto. just any info on how to get it under control are where I need to start would be great, thanks for any help.

Is this a runner bottom or true flat? What prop, gear and rpm are you running flash rpm and max rpm. And lik esomeon eelse mentioned does the boat ever take a set or is th e"jumping" only on take off?

MikeV-Drive

Ok First off thanks for all the help, The boat will only take a set if I’m in it pretty good say 40-50 mph the prop is a 11 1/2 x 15 I believe it is a right turn, the plates are almost level so I know I need some work there, also I talked to JJ and I have ordered some new parts to hopefully help the take off. he said a 11 1/2 x 14 should be good so it will burn a little more so I think I will turn it to about a 14 or so, because right know it is just biting hard right out of the hole and jumping all around. but once it does take a set it will run out the back door, it turns about 6,800 oh and it is a true flat.

Carnivalride

Mike said:
Ok First off thanks for all the help, The boat will only take a set if I’m in it pretty good say 40-50 mph the prop is a 11 1/2 x 15 I believe it is a right turn, the plates are almost level so I know I need some work there, also I talked to JJ and I have ordered some new parts to hopefully help the take off. he said a 11 1/2 x 14 should be good so it will burn a little more so I think I will turn it to about a 14 or so, because right know it is just biting hard right out of the hole and jumping all around. but once it does take a set it will run out the back door, it turns about 6,800 oh and it is a true flat.

Since it's a true flat I'll bow out but are you sure he said 11-1/2 x 14 and not an 11-1/4 x 15 or maybe 16? Smaller diameter props tend to help the burn so they're easier to drive out of the hole. depending on the gears 6800rpm should be starting to move pretty good.  :cool:

pro53

Carnivalride said:
Mike said:

Since it's a true flat I'll bow out but are you sure he said 11-1/2 x 14 and not an 11-1/4 x 15 or maybe 16? Smaller diameter props tend to help the burn so they're easier to drive out of the hole. depending on the gears 6800rpm should be starting to move pretty good.  :cool:
Jerry(vdrive video) has a true flat(hondo sprint) bows in, in the center only, 3/8 and takes a great set. Thats what he told me to do with mine when I am ready.

MikeV-Drive

Carnivalride said:
Mike said:

Ya! because I told him It was a 11 1/2 x 14 and he said that should be good but when I got home it was a 11 1/2 x 15 so I just thought i would have it turn to a 14, what do you think, I defiantly want it to burn a little more on takeoff right so should I cut it down a 1/4 or maybe a 1/2 and leave at the 15. And yes I'm going to bow it out a 1/4 to 3/8 and try it.

73 Sanger Flat

The 15 on the prop represents the pitch of the prop .. the 11.5 is the diameter..
You might cut a 1/4 inch off and try it , Is any one around you that you could borrow a prop from before you start cutting on your prop . ??

Is this a two blade prop ?

sturat

What size shaft mike? I have one at the house not real sure what size it is i can look when i get home tonight.

73 Sanger Flat

Do you know the gears in the V-drive box ? and how much HP are you making ?

I will look around and see if I still have one in storage that might work, but I think both of mine are left turning  props .  I will check , At one time I had a right turning prop but can't remember if I traded it off .

MikeV-Drive

Ok guy's I have to say I'm sorry! I could not see under the boat that well in the garage, and I know have the prop off and can see in the right light, (call me blind), but the prop is a left turn 11 1/4 x 15, so if you can still help me were do I go from here. cut another 1/4 off are leave it, any advise would be nice.

73 Sanger Flat

The main question is how much prop burn do you have . If you don;t have any, then I would think you need a smaller prop and cutting it down might work . Also need the gears size ..

The boat  needs to prop burn to get the RPM up and then it will take a set a lot faster .. Need more info .. V-Drive boats do not like to keep making power all the way down the track , They like it all at once .. If not , they like to keep climbing out of the water .. This is just my 2 cents worth ..