Can a twin turbo engine work in a v drive?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Even if they don't dump boost, it is suppose to be ready and waiting for you to mash the gas! Turbo lag is a thing of the past, if you know your turbo stuff. The day is coming when top Fuel will have a turbo, if the rules don't restrict them. Which may already be in place. They pretty much dominate all other forms of drag racing where it is run what you brung! :smile30:

Carnivalride

galen said:
I would like to start a topic on boost.  F3 procharger or twin turbos. I know turbo lag is a big issue and even the procharger does not have the instant boost like a roots. With a 600 inch twin turbo will the initial torque make up for turbo lag? Burn the prop then load and start building boost? Or does it try to manhandle the boat to the point of being unstable when power starts coming on. Don't see turbos on many v drives, just bored and thinking.

Well I think with todays technology and computer controlled ignition, timing, waste gates and so on yes you could make turbos work in a v-drive.

Now my next question is how fast do you want to go? Most set up runner bottoms will cover a 1/4 in 8 seconds flat at 130+ with 1050-1200hp depending who's boat and numbers you use. Look how the old "White Trash" boat ran when Tony C had the bad blown alcohol engine in it.

Just saying 600 cid and twin turbos sounds a little above most drivers heads but ya I think it can be done.  jump.gif

galen

Don't need to go any faster Loren, I think I am pushing my hull as fast as it needs to go. Topic started because of an article I read on an engine using the same block and heads I have pulling over 2300hp. Neat thing is they have electronic fuel injection and ignition controller. It runs a very easy on parts pump gas tune in the 1000hp range to a methanol tune using the same injectors, it runs two rails on each bank. It took just minutes to change over. Just thinking down the road when I wear this thing out. It would be nice to have the ability to play on cheap gas but have the power potential built in. It is feasible  with forced induction. I am leaning toward turbos. May try it in a car to sort things out. 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
It would be way cool! :smile16: But I imagine your boat will satisfy your need for speed! :smile16:

galen

http://youtu.be/4dcxe6lkugs  Same heads, same block , billet crank. the rest is only $$$$$$$.  :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
He builds some beasts! I like Nelson Racing engine vids too! Both those guys build big power! :smile30:

galen

Patchman said:
He builds some beasts! I like Nelson Racing engine vids too! Both those guys build big power! :smile30:
They do Patch. I have always been a carb guy. Only thing I know about efi is just the stock stuff. I bought some books on efi, trying to teach this dog some new tricks. I think it is time. You can do so much with it.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can especially with boosted applications. I'm a carb guy as well. But the EFI is definitely impressive. The self learning systems they have out now will also grow that market in performance.  :smile30: