Can a twin turbo engine work in a v drive?

galen

I would like to start a topic on boost.  F3 procharger or twin turbos. I know turbo lag is a big issue and even the procharger does not have the instant boost like a roots. With a 600 inch twin turbo will the initial torque make up for turbo lag? Burn the prop then load and start building boost? Or does it try to manhandle the boat to the point of being unstable when power starts coming on. Don't see turbos on many v drives, just bored and thinking. 

Devilman

There is a fellow named Mark (don't recall his last name), he goes by Unchained on the boat boards. He has a twin turboed v-drive Eliminator that is a beast from everything I have ever seen about it. He is a member here although not many posts. Most of his posts & info that I've seen are on PerformanceBoats.com.

Not much info, but if you are bored it will give ya some reading/research in the meantime.

*His handle here is mark55, pic of his boat from his sig line.

Turbocharged 1800 hp Vdrive lake boat
MarbleLakejuly142012-4.jpg

Also just recalled, JJ has or had a turboed Barron Sprint I believe it was? He was running it around one year at Plowmans, when they held it down at Steele Creek.

*Found a pic, it was a Barron Sprint.

Knotty Girl

According to JJ, No!  May need to get with him but I remember him telling me it does not work.  If JJ says it I would take it to the bank.

ChryslerJet

We could try it on the Carlson with the stock truck 440 (8:1 if we are lucky) I have ready to go before I bore it out and put in the 10.5 to 1 Keith Blacks.

galen

Knotty said:
According to JJ, No!  May need to get with him but I remember him telling me it does not work.  If JJ says it I would take it to the bank.
I will talk to him Hank. They come up on power so hard when the boost hits I was thinking it may break the prop loose under load. There are a few engines using my block and heads pulling 2000 plus in the 6400 range using twin 83mm.  Procharged may be the way to go.

jimsplace

galen said:
Knotty said:
I will talk to him Hank. They come up on power so hard when the boost hits I was thinking it may break the prop loose under load. There are a few engines using my block and heads pulling 2000 plus in the 6400 range using twin 83mm.  Procharged may be the way to go.

Actually, breaking the prop loose is what you need for it to do.
It's difficult to make too much power.  If it does, change the set-up with gears and props.
I doubt that a turbo or procharger either one will ever bring on the power any quicker than a roots blower or nitrous.

It's all in the set-up and boat combination.
Driver experience helps.
    :smile17:

galen

jimsplace said:
galen said:
Knotty said:

Actually, breaking the prop loose is what you need for it to do.
It's difficult to make too much power.  If it does, change the set-up with gears and props.
I doubt that a turbo or procharger either one will ever bring on the power any quicker than a roots blower or nitrous.

It's all in the set-up and boat combination.
Driver experience helps.
Jim is it just the lag time on building boost and lack of instant power the reason you don't see turbos on any drag type v-drives. Procharger would still have some lag compared to a roots blower but not near the lag of turbos. If you were to prop and gear to use the potential power of a turbo engine would it just be a slug out of the hole while it struggles to build boost? I can see where a jet would help load it initially for turbos build boost faster. With electronic fuel injection and timing controls you can now go from a pump gas to race gas tune with the flip of a switch. My engine is staying as is but with so many options out there thought it might be fun to talk about.

73 Sanger Flat

What I have been told is that the Turbos keep building power and in a  Runner Bottom / Flat Bottom style of boat .The boat  will not take the needed "SET" to run stable .. It will always want to climb out of the water and you will have to keep more down pedal in it .. This is coming form the Expert "JJ"  and a few more experienced V-Drive people . I do not think the small amount of Turbo lag nowadays would effect the ability to burn the prop .. Like in my boat , as soon as I hit the pedal , all the power is in and then it pull back to a certain RPM loss and then it start climbing back . But all the power is already been made .. Turbo keep building power is what I have been told and the boat will not handle correctly . This is in a True Flat or Runner Bottom ..
In  a V-Drive Tunnel Hull .. Hell yes they would work and be fun ..

galen

Then in theory a turbo engine should work in a hydro. I am curious, At 600 cubic inch I would think you would have enough torque to burn the prop before boost comes in. 

73 Sanger Flat

Yes it will --Stacey had a turbo engine in your boat at one time .. He also had a nitrous system in it to help get past the turbo lag . He would hit it for about 2 seconds and then the turbos would be in .. I think it would work even with out the nitrous now with the amount of HP and Torque these engines are making now ..
Here are two pictures with your boat with the twin Turbo set up .. I wanted this boat so bad that weekend , he had it for sale at Plowman

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
With today's hybrid turbos, lag can be a thing of the past. Some setups are actually dumping boost at idle. Then you get into computer controlled waste gates and it starts getting crazy. But it would be a sweet combo for sure!

WFO

Patchman said:
With today's hybrid turbos, lag can be a thing of the past. Some setups are actually dumping boost at idle. Then you get into computer controlled waste gates and it starts getting crazy. But it would be a sweet combo for sure!

And why does NHRA still run a blower?  think.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
WFO said:
Patchman said:

They are starting to catch on!
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_twin_turbo_big_block_chevy/

WFO

Patchman said:
WFO said:
Patchman said:

They are starting to catch on!
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_twin_turbo_big_block_chevy/

Top Fuel not Pro Mod. The baddest of the bad bar none!

jimsplace

Patchman said:

Are they dumping boost at idle (800-1200) or are they dumping the boost while still on the starting line (4000-6000)?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Well I read somewhere that Ford was doing that concept on the new Cobra Jet project. They use some new  titanium aluminide  wheels in their turbos, that cuts the rotational inertia in half. So they say they can go from 0 - 150,000 almost instantly. Small turbos with big boost capability! :smile30:

EOSpeed

IF THE MOTOR IS BUILT FOR FOR A V DRIVE IT WILL WORK JUST FINE. THE MOTOR IN MY HALLETT HAS A LOT OF LAG. IT BURNS PUMP GAS HAS 6 POUNDS OF VACUM RUNNING DOWN THE LAKE AT 3400 RPM. IT MAKES 15 PSI AND WILL PULL 6000 RPM WITH A AA IMP. I HAVE ALL THE PART TO FIX IT.