Brazos River Rat ( Billy's ) Update

73 Sanger Flat

So it been a while for an update .. I bought a 511 engine used 2 years ago .. It ran pretty good . Best MPH was 96 .. I pulled the heads off and went through them and they needed it .. Found out this engine is only a 10.8 to 1 and not a 13 to 1 compression .. So now I will tune it for this compression and not burn that 112 Octane .. Hoping to run 93 and see what it does .. I sure miss that big 601 engine I had ..Maybe one day it will be built again .. I still want a Blown engine .. This retirement sucks for having any extra money for projects ..

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Something can be said about a reliable pump gas motor though! Especially if you are buying fuel on retirement income! Thanks for the update! We need more builder/maintenance type threads to get us through the winter months!

TexasJet

Something can be said about a reliable pump gas motor though! Especially if you are buying fuel on retirement income! Thanks for the update! We need more builder/maintenance type threads to get us through the winter months!
Speaking of which. I just bought two drums of Sunoco 112 @ $700/drum.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Well at this rate, you should have some water in lake Somerville to burn some of that fuel!

Devilman

So it been a while for an update .. I bought a 511 engine used 2 years ago .. It ran pretty good . Best MPH was 96 .. I pulled the heads off and went through them and they needed it .. Found out this engine is only a 10.8 to 1 and not a 13 to 1 compression .. So now I will tune it for this compression and not burn that 112 Octane .. Hoping to run 93 and see what it does .. I sure miss that big 601 engine I had ..Maybe one day it will be built again .. I still want a Blown engine .. This retirement sucks for having any extra money for projects ..
Guess one thing about building a blown motor, you may could get away with cheaper pump gas vs the high end/high compression stuff like ol Greg used to do with his blower motor

73 Sanger Flat

I got me a new prop heading my way .. Dallas / Menkins built it for me .. Hoping to get the boat to air out more with this 511 engine .. Dam props are getting expensive . $810.00 plus shipping .. Sure hope it works better than my old prop.. He will cut and adjust on it once I make a few test runs on it .. Test day will be at Plowman end of April .. Wish me luck ..

jimsplace

I got me a new prop heading my way .. Dallas / Menkins built it for me .. Hoping to get the boat to air out more with this 511 engine .. Dam props are getting expensive . $810.00 plus shipping .. Sure hope it works better than my old prop.. He will cut and adjust on it once I make a few test runs on it .. Test day will be at Plowman end of April .. Wish me luck ..
What size prop are you getting?

73 Sanger Flat

New Menkens /Dallas prop 11 1/8 x 16 , cut to help me get more lift on the boat and also to try and keep my RPM up ..It does have a little different ear shape than the one he made me before . Sure wish it would stay this pretty .. Hoping the boat will run dryer and my prop slip come down ..

Attachments

• 20230208_123635.jpg
    20230208_123635.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230208_123641.jpg
    20230208_123641.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230208_123654.jpg
    20230208_123654.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230208_123706.jpg
    20230208_123706.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

73 Sanger Flat

There you go! I look forward to watching the test & tune!
Might have you watch my runs and have you see how the boat attitude is in the water .. Maybe it will air our more and that dam rooster tail will go down some.. I will GPS the runs and calculate the prop slip one I get a couple runs down .. I need some help..