Bimini Top ???

sturat

Yes only way in with the top up is from the back. Which is normal for this sled as the swim steps come in handy..  Just can not do squat with it up, dont get me wrong the shade out ways the PIA in moving around. I drive with it up and it is like having the A/C on....LOL

spd500

I don't have swim steps , but I do have hot ass headers  think.gif Can you still get into the backseat from the side , or do you have to go over the transom to get into the boat ?

hillbilly68

Crusader said:
Here's the video......

Read the first comment made by mrCES1966 (me)....describes what happened to the top while entering "Warp" speed. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PNuHfoW_l9g

hey i remember that day....we had a good time

Crusader

hillbilly68 said:
Crusader said:
Here's the video......

Read the first comment made by mrCES1966 (me)....describes what happened to the top while entering "Warp" speed. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PNuHfoW_l9g

hey i remember that day....we had a good time

Ya man, that was a lot of fun.....Memorial day weekend 2011

boatlessbrett

this is what i'm doing this year.  may not be able to drive with it up but oh well with the way gas is goin i'll be doing more floating then running http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=AnchorShade-II&i=38801&aID=601B3&merchID=4006 doin more floatin then running

spd500

boatlessbrett said:
this is what i'm doing this year.  may not be able to drive with it up but oh well with the way gas is goin i'll be doing more floating then running http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=AnchorShade-II&i=38801&aID=601B3&merchID=4006 doin more floatin then running

Pretty cool , but I would rather have a regular sun umbrella that can be tilted . Maybe add a few little eye bolts to a nice sun umbrella so you can still tie it down ?

spd500

I have a nice wooden one that is huge , like 6' by 8' . Only problem is , I don't have cleats on my boat , and didn't plan on putting any on it .

spd500

Some of the reviews on the one linked state that it is built flimsy and one guy had two of them break on him . I would be carefull if you do decide to go this route .

Devilman

I had looked into the Anchor Shade as well at one time. Seemed like a pretty cool set-up, but think it would only be good if you were sitting still. Wouldn't want to run with it up at all. They do have some tie down straps for the corners, but no cleats on my boat either. They have an optional end for the tiedowns that have suction cups, to just stick them to the boat, but not sure how well that would work. Breeze may come up & pop 'em right off.

I thought James's idea that he did in his Glastron was pretty slick. Glassed a piece of PVC(I think) into the floor as a socket that would hold a big umbrella. May be pics in his build thread, don't recall.

spd500

I saw how James did his,  it looks like a good idea.  Not sure how it would work on a boat with no floors though. I kinda thought about u-bolting a tube to the stringer that could hold an umbrella.

blazeracer

I had a bimini on my jet boat the first year I had it and thought it looked like crap. I like the umbrella since we never drove with the bimini up anyway. Some guy will just get an iron umberella base from Walmart and set it on the floor. Only problem is the wind will knock it over. Without a floor you could weld up a bracket with a pipe in the center and screw bolts to clamp it to the stringers. That will hold it in the wind and you can loosen the clamps for easy removable.

Great thing is umbrellas come in a ton of colors and are fairly cheap to replace.

Also, it looks tall when it's in the boat, but believe me, if it's any shorter you won't be able to stand up.

spd500

I am really leaning the same direction on this . Like you said , umbrellas are cheap , and come in all colors . To me I think the heigth of the umbrella will be alot better than the bimini top that you can't move around under , at least for a 6' tall guy like me . I also really like the idea of being able to tilt the umbrella to the side instead of having the shade on the water next to the boat in the afternoon .

spd500

blazeracer said:
Got it! Weld a fifty cent piece of pipe to a three dollar C-clamp, attach to stringer, insert umbrella.. Done.

I think for my boat I will build the holder in front of the back seat and have it permanantly mounted .