Bimini Top ???

spd500

I am going to be putting a top on the Kona , and have questions about tops . What is the best type of top to install that will not require me destroying the boat with lots of holes ? How do you measure for a top ? How tall are most of the tops for jetboats ? Is there a top that can be folded down out of the way completely when not in use , or do I have to take it off the boat every time ? I would prefer something that would mount to the insides of the gunnels instead of on the tops , but I am not really sure if that can be done . I am going to have a seat on one side that will be a challenge , the seats will be like Devilman's boat with the wraparound rear seat and one bucket . Anyone know anything about this stuff ?

Red Horse

Bimini tops come in all kinds of sizes. Check out West Marine online. There are also various mounts for them. You can mount on the deck, gunnel or even on the floor. Several mounts will let you place the top in its boot and lay it on the back of the boat behind the engine out of the way.

Dont go too fast with them up. I ripped my Sea Ray top off by going fast (50ish) and it is integrated into my tower. One with less support I would not advise over 35.

Crusader

I bought my Whalers top from www.iboats.com

RH brings up a good point.....I went WOT with the Crusader with my top up and it about tore off..... haha.

Knotty Girl

Crusader said:

RH brings up a good point.....I went WOT with the Crusader with my top up and it about tore off..... haha.

Did'nt you post a video of you shooting a roost with the top up one time?

Crusader

Knotty said:
Crusader said:

Lol...ya, I was racing Hillbilly68 (getting smoked by him) in lake Okmulgee, OK.

Knotty Girl

Crusader said:
Knotty said:
Crusader said:

Lol...ya, I was racing Hillbilly68 (getting smoked by him) in lake Okmulgee, OK.

I thought I remember that.  I pulled a guy into my office to see it.  clap.gif

Crusader

I'm looking for the video now.....it's always good for a laugh to see how badly I was crushed by him.....lol.

Crusader

Here's the video......

Read the first comment made by mrCES1966 (me)....describes what happened to the top while entering "Warp" speed. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PNuHfoW_l9g

Knotty Girl

Crusader said:
Here's the video......

Read the first comment made by mrCES1966 (me)....describes what happened to the top while entering "Warp" speed. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PNuHfoW_l9g

I love it!  clap.gif

spd500

Red Horse said:
Bimini tops come in all kinds of sizes. Check out West Marine online. There are also various mounts for them. You can mount on the deck, gunnel or even on the floor. Several mounts will let you place the top in its boot and lay it on the back of the boat behind the engine out of the way.

Dont go too fast with them up. I ripped my Sea Ray top off by going fast (50ish) and it is integrated into my tower. One with less support I would not advise over 35.

I know they come in all sizes and can be mounted in different places , But I don't know what kind of height to get for my boat . I don't really want one of the really tall ugly ones that go on a fishing boat . Just hoping the people with tops on thier boats might have some advice .

sturat

Shannon,
I would suggest to get one a bit taller than you think you want. The one on child's play looks great up with it's low profile but man does it sux trying to move around under it. Also makes it tough to see around.

4SPRAT

As far ass measurements...depends on the boat.  i have one on my taylor SC. It is moutned on the deck on the outside edge/ledge up against the vertical portion of the deck.  I order one that the height did two things: 1)  it allowed me and the family to stand without ducking, 2) when folded back down it lays on the deck between the ski tow and the engine cover perfectly.  this keeps it somewhat outtat the way when down.

i have straps that clip onto eyes on the deck.  however, i upgraded a little....... i used stainless grade 8 machine screws and big fender style washers in lieu of the self tappers that ALWAYS rip out.  fender washers under the deck give good load spread.  on the straps i did a couple of heavy stiches just for safety.  I leave mine up all the time now.  granted i can only go about 55 WFO, but it holds fine - so far.

also when i chose the location for mounting, i centered it over the seating area as best i could and adjust straps as necessary forwards/backwards to shade from the sun.  also my mounting brackets have a nice little screw that comes out and to allow easy removal of the entire assembly.

bought the whole thing from overton's for about 180-ish if i remember.  came with boot and all hardware.  been very pleased with it.

spd500

I have seen some of them that look like it would be impossible to get in or out of with the top up . I know what you mean . I am looking for a happy medium , where you have a little room but it don't look like I took a top off of a pontoon boat and put it on my jetboat .

Red Horse

Start by mearuring your standing height in the boat. Do you walk much? Sit around? My jet does not have one, but if it did it would be a lower profile that only covered the cockpit area and maybe a little of the bow. Stooping around your boat might not be what you want to do all the time. Are you planning on using just at anchor or on the beach? All of those things will be a factor. I love the fact that the one on my sea ray is high enought I dont need to duck, and it looks good on the boat. On my jet, I would want it to be lower to look better.

sturat

This one is too low.. I am 6' and even angela at 5'5" has to duck way down. I dont mind a little duck but man i feel like I have to crawl around.

Attachments

• childplaytop.jpg
    childplaytop.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 136

ChryslerJet

sturat said:
This one is too low.. I am 6' and even angela at 5'5" has to duck way down. I dont mind a little duck but man i feel like I have to crawl around.
Dang that pic makes me want to get out there on the water.

spd500

sturat said:

I have seen them even lower than that one . But even with yours it looks like you have to get in the boat from the backseat and climb up to the front from there . I would like to be able to just get into the drivers seat without having to work my way up from the back , but it might just not be an option with a bimini top .

spd500

Actually , just thinking about it , I think it would be cool to have a recess built into the seat where the bimini top could fold into when not in use , with a cover that closes over it to hide it .