Billy's engine on Dyno

73 Sanger Flat

I am happy with the numbers .. I was shooting for a honest 800+ HP engine and this one did it ..
With the help of Galen and the machine shop , they built me a good solid engine .. They replaced everything except the Harland Sharp Roller Rockers.. The heads are completely new , including all  new valves , springs , retainer , etc. . New Crank , Rods , Pistons , Cam , Pushrods, Lifters ,..
This is almost a new engine .. The block was freshen up , deck , bored and  honed , heads was resurfaced for the new MLS head gaskets ,

I think this will be a good engine for me for a lake hot rod .. It should be easy for me to get the set up right this time .. It will be going in the boat exactly like it came off the Dyno ..

73 Sanger Flat

Carnivalride said:
Congrats Billy those are great numbers for a lake toy. Shouldn't be to finicky on gear either with that broad of powerband. Easy to gear and prop and fun to drive.  clap.gif

Loren - you predicted the HP within 7 HP from when we talked about two months ago .. Very good ..
I will get it in the boat , make a few test run and then make a gear change , maybe if I needs it .. I like to keep the RPM down to 7200 -7400 max ..

Carnivalride

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
Carnivalride said:
Congrats Billy those are great numbers for a lake toy. Shouldn't be to finicky on gear either with that broad of powerband. Easy to gear and prop and fun to drive.  clap.gif

Loren - you predicted the HP within 7 HP from when we talked about two months ago .. Very good ..
I will get it in the boat , make a few test run and then make a gear change , maybe if I needs it .. I like to keep the RPM down to 7200 -7400 max ..

Well maybe a little luck but you did give me the max head flow point and cid and compression. With the torque you're making you might not need to rev it too high to stay quick. I'm not sure what the machine shop recomended but if you could keep it down to 7200 or so it should last a long time.

73 Sanger Flat

They was shooting for a RPM range of about 7400 ..So I will try and gear it to around 7000 -7200-7400 Max RPM .. .. I going to let the engine tell me what it likes and gear to that 

They did run the engine way up on RPM to make sure ther valve train would handle it .. I am glad I was not there to see that .. or watch the Video of it .. That would have been very scary to watch ..

Now it time for me to get busy ..

73 Sanger Flat

they had C-14 in it .. A little over kill .. I will be testing with C-16 the first run beacuse i hace some  and hopefully run on the VP-110 if the engine will handle it .. I already bought the VP 110 , I may have to mix some C-16 and Vp 110 to get where the engine likes it .. But I plan on running just VP110..

73 Sanger Flat

Thanks Bobby -- I think it will run pretty hard if I can get the boat to take a good set .. I need to adjust on the plates ..

galen

I am running less cam in my 588 with 4.625 stroke and I pulled higher on the rpm. and horsepower curve. I run about 12 cfm more head intake flow. Can I gain any on the top side with a cam change or did I run out of cylinder head? Heads flowed 403 at .700, 409 at.800. Cam is 284/296 at .050 on 112. .748 lift set at 109. Yancey spun it to 8200 to check the valve train. Good parts I just wish the power and torque curve were about 600 rpm up further.  Wanted to try my pro systems sv1 on it but ran out of time.

galen

They was shooting for a RPM range of about 7400 ..So I will try and gear it to around 7000 -7200-7400 Max RPM .. .. I going to let the engine tell me what it likes and gear to that 

They did run the engine way up on RPM to make sure ther valve train would handle it .. I am glad I was not there to see that .. or watch the Video of it .. That would have been very scary to watch ..

Now it time for me to get busy ..
When it hit 8200 on the valve train test I think I cracked a couple teeth.

73 Sanger Flat

I think I would have passed outwhen I seen it hit 8200 RPM  for a monster engine .. I kind of glad i was not there for that test ..I don't think it will ever see that RPM in the boat .. I have a chip set at 8000 any way .. I know it will not pull that with a full load , but it is good to know that it will handle it for a short period.

73 Sanger Flat

I was hoping to have the engine in by now , but it is raining and I have to drop the engine in the boat in the driveway .. I will not complain .. We need the rain  more than I need the engine in the boat .. Look like this weekend will be perfect for working on the boat .. I can't wait to hear the new engine . Maybe Sunday I will bust it off ..

I know once it is ready . I will be wanting to go test it and the water level is way to low for testing right now , so come on rain ..

It was raining good when I left the house at 4:00 am this morning ..

Devilman

Good to hear everything is moving forward for ya Billy. You're gonna have a blast with that thing. :smile16:

73 Sanger Flat

Yeah Kenny , I am excited about having it back on the water .. At least I have a Dyno sheet to help me get it dialed in this time .. I think that will help me ..  Can't wait to head to Steel Creek for a weekend of fun ..

73 Sanger Flat

It's alive ..  jump.gif

I need  to change my fuel pressure regulator . Mine decided to start leaking today and I had to make a longer braided fuel hose between the fuel inlets , because of BLP metering blocks are a lot thicker than the Holley metering blocks ..

It sounds good . Now just need to finish up all the little things now .. Plus might need to buy a new battery ..

Can't wait to test . maybe in a few more weeks 

Carnivalride

It's alive ..  jump.gif

I need  to change my fuel pressure regulator . Mine decided to start leaking today and I had to make a longer braided fuel hose between the fuel inlets , because of BLP metering blocks are a lot thicker than the Holley metering blocks ..

It sounds good . Now just need to finish up all the little things now .. Plus might need to buy a new battery ..

Can't wait to test . maybe in a few more weeks

Congrats Billy keep us posted on your testing.