Another One Followed Me Home

Crusader

Awesome work. A galvanized trailer is definitely the way to go. Where in Florida did you go to get it? And why Florida? Aren't there Galvanized trailer dealers on the TX coast?

customtouch

Crusader said:
Awesome work. A galvanized trailer is definitely the way to go. Where in Florida did you go to get it? And why Florida? Aren't there Galvanized trailer dealers on the TX coast?

Actually Cliff, it is all aluminum and I hunted for a place locally  that would build the trailer the way I wanted but without success. At least without wanting an arm & a leg. This company I found in Ocala Florida was reasonable and willing to custom build it to my specs so I went with them. Sure was a long haul to get it but in the long run I am happy and it was about $2,000 cheaper than the one I  originally wanted. I did however decide to add an aditional cross brace just for good luck and ordered it after the fact. After I install it I intend to weld all the support's to insure they can't move.  I plan on keeping this boat for a long time so I don't mind the investment to get what I wanted.

Devilman

Aluminum trailer huh, that will look sweet when you get it all polished out. :smile17: :smile16:

Jeff had an aluminum trailer built for his Baja, don't recall who did it though. Sure looks nice.

customtouch

NOPE!!!!  Polishing AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!  When it is all finished I am going to clean and seal it with this product the trailer company told be about. It is supposed to keep it from oxidizing & discoloring  and keep it looking new. It is pricey stuff but if it works like it is supposed to it will be worth it.

Attachments

• 2019-02-21 11.49.26.jpg
    2019-02-21 11.49.26.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Crusader

Good job man...at least you got a quick Vacation to central florida out of the deal and still saved some $$ I'm happy for ya....

customtouch

Crusader said:
Good job man...at least you got a quick Vacation to central florida out of the deal and still saved some $$ I'm happy for ya....

I wish there had been some kind of vacation in that trip. It was more like a cannonball run down and back.  It was a 34hr round trip squeezed into two days. Trust me, there was no fun involed in that trip. LOL!!

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
customtouch said:
Crusader said:

I wish there had been some kind of vacation in that trip. It was more like a cannonball run down and back.  It was a 34hr round trip squeezed into two days. Trust me, there was no fun involed in that trip. LOL!!
Man that ain't nothing for a baller like you! Probably put a trailer hitch on the back of the vette and flew over there with time to spare! :smile30:

TexasJet

Devilman said:
Aluminum trailer huh, that will look sweet when you get it all polished out. :smile17: :smile16:

Jeff had an aluminum trailer built for his Baja, don't recall who did it though. Sure looks nice.

McClane built mine. They are in East Houston. Aluminum double axle trailers will float on a steep launch ramp. Not an issue launching, but retrieving, the trailer will drift with the wind.

customtouch

TexasJet said:
Devilman said:

McClane built mine. They are in East Houston. Aluminum double axle trailers will float on a steep launch ramp. Not an issue launching, but retrieving, the trailer will drift with the wind.

I spoke with McClain about building me a trailer but they were too pricy for their standard trailer let alone the way I was wanting mine done. They were also about three months out on a build. Same issues I was having with all the local builders. I was real concerned about the floating issue with an aluminum trailer too but so far it hasn't tried to float. Only launched and loaded once but the trailer was in pretty deep.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking your boat trailer has a little more weight to it than Jeff's. think.gif I never thought of aluminum trailers floating due to the reduced weight. That's crazy! crazy.gif

customtouch

Patchman said:
I'm thinking your boat trailer has a little more weight to it than Jeff's. think.gif I never thought of aluminum trailers floating due to the reduced weight. That's crazy! crazy.gif

It's not just Jeff's trailer, it is a very common problem with aluminum trailers, even the larger ones. It has to do with the weight of the trailer compared to the size and number of tires. Salt water is a factor too. I think mine is borderline on floating and if I had larger tires or launched in saltwater it might. Sure does tow nice without all the excess weight though. As a matter of fact you can't tell much difference between towing the Checkmate and the Scarab even though the dry weight of the Scarab i's 1,000lbs more. I'm guessing it is the weight difference between a box tube steel trailer and aluminum.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Since you are the proud owner of an aluminum trailer, I think you need a posting of the aluminum trailer owner guide!

Rules for using aluminum boat trailers!

1. To avoid aluminum trailer floatage when retrieving one's boat, remove air from trailer tires!
2. In order for your aluminum trailer to perform correctly, you must tow it with a Chevrolet product! ( Probably a Chevette, since it has the highest posted horsepower rating of the GM products)
3. Don't operate your aluminum trailer in the vicinity of an aluminum magnet. They are highly magnetic!!!!
4. Don't leave your aluminum trailer un- attended at any time. Girl-scout troop 3567942 will turn it in for recycling money in order to purchase more of those snazzy little berets!
5. Make sure you recycle all of your & your neighbor's ( Beer cans, Late model Fords, and any worth having cylinder heads and blocks ) So that we can keep producing aluminum trailers for you the general consumer!
6. Don't park your trailer on an asphalt parking lot in Texas on a hot summer day. It mite melt, we are not sure!
7. Don't lick your aluminum trailer at any point, it may cause memory loss!
8. Just ignore that white fuzzy crystalline formation that is growing on your trailer! We call that The Trailer beard, it is purely nature doing what nature does!
9. If you are tired of your aluminum trailers shiny, sparkly, bling bling appearance! Simply submerge it on the Bay City boat ramp for 30-40 minutes. It will have a whole new refreshing appearance that you will learn to enjoy for many years to come!
10. Last but not least, tell all your non-aluminum trailer owning friends! That your aluminum trailer is the best darn trailer you have ever owned! :smile30: