Aluminum Cleaner ??

KONA77

Devilman said:
DrumZilla said:
My boat has some old chrome ones that can not be cleaned.. not even SOS pads help. so until I can buy something Don gave me a pretty descent set of aluminum covers but they need a little polishing. so if not Mothers then elbow grease and ??

I don't know why Roger don't like Mother's, but I have had good luck with it. Just takes a little time & how shiny you want them. If they are dirty/dusty/grungy, cleaning them well first will make the polishing a little easier.

in all seriousness,  my father n law buffed out my boat with it,  finally buffed it off the paint,  and now when I wash the boat,  no more stains...  sorry D-man,  but that shit sucks

jimsplace

DrumZilla said:
My boat has some old chrome ones that can not be cleaned.. not even SOS pads help. so until I can buy something Don gave me a pretty descent set of aluminum covers but they need a little polishing. so if not Mothers then elbow grease and ??

If a brillo pad is used on chrome, it is forever scratched chrome.
Brillo pads were made for cast iron skillets.
Brillo pads &  bling.gif    GONE FOREVER!

Drumzilla

just use a brillo pad ? no cleaner ? really...hum...what about a sos pad ? I figured anything like that would just scratch them...I have some sos pads...

duanehydro

If you care for a natural aluminum look that'll last, with little or no upkeep, I can suggest what I have done with intakes and aluminum valve covers for years...take it for what it's worth. I use a sulfuric acid-based aluminum cleaner, such as napa aluminum brightener....etch the heck outta it, clean, and paint with duplicolor aluminum engine paint, part#1615, I believe......good to go for years.....look at my sig line...intake and valve covers....intake is 20 years old.

Devilman

KONA said:
in all seriousness,  my father n law buffed out my boat with it,  finally buffed it off the paint,  and now when I wash the boat,  no more stains...  sorry D-man,  but that s*** sucks

Well thats because aluminum polish is for aluminum, not paint, duh... It sez so right on the can. :rolleyes: :cheesy:  lol.... so ya I guess using on something it ain't supposed to be used on would get poor results. lol! If all else fails, read the instructions. :wink: :grin: :cheesy:

KONA77

Devilman said:
KONA said:
in all seriousness,  my father n law buffed out my boat with it,  finally buffed it off the paint,  and now when I wash the boat,  no more stains...  sorry D-man,  but that s*** sucks

Well thats because aluminum polish is for aluminum, not paint, duh... It sez so right on the can. :rolleyes: :cheesy:  lol.... so ya I guess using on something it ain't supposed to be used on would get poor results. lol! If all else fails, read the instructions. :wink: :grin: :cheesy:

no silly,  he used the regular paint polish/wax...  geez  lol

Devilman

KONA said:
no silly,  he used the regular paint polish/wax...  geez  lol

well this here thread is about aluminum and products used in its care & upkeep... when there is a paint polish thread, please feel free to share your story. Until then you may have a seat at the back of the class where you can take a little time to think about your actions...  :grin: :cheesy: :grin:

KONA77

I'll sit in the back of the class after this post,  Drum  bring them to me and 50 dollars to pay for the buffing compound and I'll put a mirror finish on them  :grin:

Crusader

Duanehydro said:
If you care for a natural aluminum look that'll last, with little or no upkeep, I can suggest what I have done with intakes and aluminum valve covers for years...take it for what it's worth. I use a sulfuric acid-based aluminum cleaner, such as napa aluminum brightener....etch the heck outta it, clean, and paint with duplicolor aluminum engine paint, part#1615, I believe......good to go for years.....look at my sig line...intake and valve covers....intake is 20 years old.

Duane...I like the way your valve covers look!

460rogers

I like the Mothers polish...bought the polishing ball you put on a drill...saves a lot of elbow grease...just have to take off valve covers to avoid lots of clean up....and don't use too much polish.
I had to buy some smaller buffers for the tight stuff in the corners...only been able to find them at swap meets.