77 Hondo pantera resto

Disturbed

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
JJ's prop releases are nice .. I just take mine to him  so it is done correctly ..That is one part of the boat I want to be 100% correct , with it sitting so close to my right leg , I do not want this thing to come apart .. ..

EXACTLY! 

jimsplace

I agree with what everyone has said about JJ's prop release.
There have been several types of prop releases made over the years.  Algon was an early prop release too.
The most successful and the type you want is generally called a Whirl-a-way, but that is actually a brand name.  JJ's are the same thing and certainly less money and of equal or better quality.
I would recommend JJ's stuff any day.
An additional benefit of JJ's is that he can install it, help you install it or just sell you what you need.
    :smile17:

Bert88

Well jus ordered locking handle and prop release from beaver fab! Hopefully be back on lake by Sunday !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 Sanger Flat

That is great .. I know now that I was not very smart for all those years I ran one without a prop release .. These v-drives do not act very nice when that prop stops turning .. Good luck with the install .. JJ is a good guy to work with ..Speaking of him , I need to pay him for welding my bell housing .. I showed the bellhousing to Rusty last weekend and he could not even tell it was ever broken , he had his doubts about welding it until he saw what JJ did to it ..  JJ is a excellent welder also ..

73 Sanger Flat

Bert88 said:
Well jus ordered locking handle and prop release from beaver fab! Hopefully be back on lake by Sunday !

you will need to cut your prop shaft down a little to get the clearance ..

Bert88

Actually gotta move engine and casale forward on mine cuz there's no space between box and shaft seal

Carnivalride

Bert88 said:
b68c8e7630f3d405c28be1107e71a18b.jpg
finally took it out first time this morning! Did good gotta get used to it big difference goin from a Taylor jet to v drive

Nice looking ride, congrats on th emaiden voyage  clap.gif

Carnivalride

Alright I guess I'll stir stuff up a little since you guys are all telling him vibration and bolts coming loose with a 2 blade prop is normal.

How much vibration are you guys talking?

is your v-drive, propshaft and strut all in alignment?

are all your components balanced?

are you running a good 2 blade or some rusted old thing you picked up and cleaned up?

Maybe I've owned and driven a v-drive too long (23+ years with this one) and consider what your calling vibration normal. The only vobration I really recall with mine is while turning under power or pulling the kids on a heavy tube while turning causes the prop to cavitate and that causes vibration. All my fasteners are stainless with the nylon locking nuts and even though I do inspections and nut and bolt checks rarely do I find things vibrated loose.  think.gif

Bert88

It really jus does it when u first try to slowly get on plane for about twenty feet. Here's what prop I run and yes all is strait and new bushings
fc672b32472e2d239acc49737f2ef8d6.jpg
  I really didn't get to drive it much due to big water line came off and I was filling full of water.

jimsplace

Carnivalride said:
Alright I guess I'll stir stuff up a little since you guys are all telling him vibration and bolts coming loose with a 2 blade prop is normal.

are you running a good 2 blade or some rusted old thing you picked up and cleaned up?

Maybe I've owned and driven a v-drive too long (23+ years with this one) and consider what your calling vibration normal. The only vobration I really recall with mine is while turning under power or pulling the kids on a heavy tube while turning causes the prop to cavitate and that causes vibration. All my fasteners are stainless with the nylon locking nuts and even though I do inspections and nut and bolt checks rarely do I find things vibrated loose.  think.gif

Thanks Loren for bringing up other possible causes for vibration.  Good points.
I have been thinking about the vibration also.  There will be some vibration, but without feeling it, it's difficult to say what's normal.
As Loren said, I don't notice vibration in mine either because I've driven it for a length of time and what I feel is normal, as in I don't notice it.

This may have already been done, but grab ahold of the driveshaft and see if there is any side to side movement.  There shouldn't be any.
Go to the prop and grab ahold of it, there should be no movement of the propshaft.  There is a bushing in the strut that can wear. (easy fix)
Nothing in the drive line should have any movement, except the V-Drive shafts.  There should be some backlash in the gears. (small amount)

We tend to joke about bolts and nuts coming loose in our V-drives, but the truth is, I don't.
If it has a nut on it, the use of nylock nuts pretty much eliminates that, unless you have movement between parts.
If a bolt is just threaded into a part, loctite usually stops it from coming loose.
There are a few exceptions but not many.
The biggest problem I see is when people reuse the nylock nuts over and over.  They do lose locking ability.
I've heard 3 times use for nylock nuts, but I'll use them 5 times and maybe more if, when they're installed, the nylon part still feels tight.
If I can screw the nut on with my fingers, I'll use the nut somewhere else where there is no vibration. (not in the boat)

Does the prop look straight, like not hitting something?

Bert88

What I can compare it to is when u suck something up in a jet boat pump and it cavitates and shakes the boat like that but with a  lil more shake than that and then goes away after about 25 mph

Disturbed

Carnivalride said:

I'll say this, I would consider the loose hardware problem on the Lucky Draw, which is a blown alky hydro, would be somewhat 'normal'.  No one should be running that much power on a lake boat.  I've never driven it but, I'm sure it is pretty much a violent ride.  My flat, on the other hand, has a little vibration.  I don't think it's out of the realm of 'normal' either.  It doesn't constantly make hardware loosen unless, I didn't put locktite on it when it went together.  (That NEVER happens  :smile23:)

Dry Dock

I always have use nylock nuts, self locking nuts, and blue Loctite.  not had anything come loose.  I had the drive line rebuilt and shop said it was not balanced well. Knew it had some vibration, but nothing came loose all time I ran it.  one time I bumped a rock, chipped prop and vibrated gauges out of dash trying to get to trailer on the old Hondo. Talk about vibration?

So far nothing has come loose sitting on trailer in garage? hope to try it before it gets cold... new 572 3 years old and never fired yet? I must be getting really old!  :smile29:

jimsplace

Dry Dock said:
I always have use nylock nuts, self locking nuts, and blue Loctite.  not had anything come loose.  I had the drive line rebuilt and shop said it was not balanced well. Knew it had some vibration, but nothing came loose all time I ran it.  one time I bumped a rock, chipped prop and vibrated gauges out of dash trying to get to trailer on the old Hondo. Talk about vibration?

So far nothing has come loose sitting on trailer in garage? hope to try it before it gets cold... new 572 3 years old and never fired yet? I must be getting really old!  :smile29:

Wayne, you're not getting old any faster than the rest of us.

I agree, you do need to get that boat out before it gets cold.  That way you'll have all winter to modify everything.
Besides that, I want to see it in the water again.
I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also curious how the performance will change from what it was.
It ran pretty good before, so do you think it'll be a little quicker or a "O Chite" moment?
Either way, it'll be fun.
    :smile17:

jimsplace

Bert88 said:
What I can compare it to is when u suck something up in a jet boat pump and it cavitates and shakes the boat like that but with a  lil more shake than that and then goes away after about 25 mph

I can't help with that comparison, my jet riding experiences is limited.

What you described about when it does vibrate sounds normal to me.

Carnivalride

Dry Dock said:
Wow after 3 years mines ready to come apart for inspection to determine if it's good to go again or it requires attention.  think.gif

So  hurry.gif and run it. lol  jump.gif