21 Liberator build

YMeLord

customtouch said:
Looking good man!!! What are you building on the frame in the background?

If you mean to the right of thos last pics ... thats Tim's Jeep. Have to ask Tmoore for specs ... I know it's being fitted with a Dana 60 and Chevy 14 BOLT ... short of that not sure about the rest. Not sure he is either at this point  think.gif

customtouch

Cool. I was guessing it was a 4x4 pickup of some type but thought I would ask cause with you guys there is no telling what the early stages of anything will end up being. The whole (box of chocolates) thing.  :grin:

YMeLord

customtouch said:
Cool. I was guessing it was a 4x4 pickup of some type but thought I would ask cause with you guys there is no telling what the early stages of anything will end up being. The whole (box of chocolates) thing.  :grin:

Very true ... luckily its still so early in that project that it could still be anything from a 4 wheel drive jeep to an amphibian to a drivable grill ... well you get my point. We have had a few of those "hold my beer and watch this sh#t" moments ... proof is in the pics TMoore has of him and the kids boating around the backyard in the eliminator project we have. Now to find those ...

FormulaZR said:
Looks like you guys are coming right along. I love the way they look capped!

Very true FZR ... ton of work but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

FormulaZR

YMeLord said:
OK ... so the proof of our motto of "hold my beer and watch this sh*t is over on the  THB FB page ...

Looks like you need a diverter on that boat...it's riding awfully wet (cold?)!

As much as I love the capped look, I seem to find myself "needing" my rub rails. But like I said, they sure look good without them.

I vote a Mini Cooper body for the jeep.

TMoore

customtouch said:
Looking good man!!! What are you building on the frame in the background?
Working on a CJ-7  with a 5.3, 14 bolt, dana 60, on 37s.
For some reason Joel thinks I should work on his boat and not my Jeep...  what an a-hole..

Just kidding.
Plenty of projects around my place.  Still have work to do to the Skater, Joel's Liberator, my Jeep, and tinkering with my '69 Camaro in between them all.

TMoore

If someone wanted to donate a mini cooper it might be a mini cooper...
Just sayin'

Now that I think about it, how about a 4x4 Eliminator bubbledeck?

YMeLord

FormulaZR said:
Any updates?

Its been making progress ... just slow ... its at the stage of body work and everyone here has seen all of that 100 times ... Transom completely finished and rails for engine is completely done ...There isn't a stich of that nasty orange left on it ... which had some sort of sealer/ primer (beige) under it ... and that is all gone now too. Remember the earlier pics of all the low spots on the sponsons ... now all gone. TONS OF WORK on that.

Plans this weekend is to complete cap (75% done and looks AMAZING) ... lay a few coats of black on the front ... and turn it around in the shop so can finish the back. More updates after this weekend.

YMeLord

Been away for a while ... Bad weather / working too many races / other projects have somewhat ground this to a halt ... at least it looks that way by progress but is still coming along .. just slowly. Coming to the end of the first half of race season in another month or so and only having weekends to work on this simply is making this take forever .. but will keep to the grindstone.

Latest on the build ... front half of the boat has a coat of black GEL on it so we can block all the flat surface to truly be flat (had to do this because of all the "divots" seen in the earlier pictures) or else Ray Charles would have been able to see the lows and highs .. about half that black has been blocked already. All the glass work is finished except for the dash (yes figured while doing everything else might as well). 95 % of the bodywork is finished .. all that's left is the transom and a small section on the side... transom is about half done.

In the meantime .. I've been accumulating some parts along the way ... Mercury bellhousing setup with drive shaft for the setback of the drive (sweet looking piece). A few engine components here and there ... The drive and props (31 cleaver 2 blade looks like it would make mince meat of any piece of flesh that comes within 3 feet of them... but have the 27 3 blades and 29 3 blades as well).

Ready to get the bodywork finished .. get the color on it ... then it can sit for a couple months while I accumulate more components (remember .. when I got this all I got was essentially a trailer and the hull .. everything else missing). Maybe the weather will cooperate over the next month and get this part done. Grandpa told me a long time ago "SON .. patience is a virtue".. guess I'm not a very "virtuous" person .. ready to get on the water.

Need to upload some pics later today and will post up when I get a chance.

YMeLord

Well ... apparently my phone decided to eat all the pics of the gel / bodywork .. but here's a couple of the driveline / props for the Blackhawk...the nasty on the props is glue from duct tape and cardboard the guy put on them to keep them from getting dinged in shipping.

YMeLord

Be away / busy for a while ... finally got the Blackhawk in .. standoff box is headed here from NC .. probably Thursday next week. Hydraulic power steering here a month ago.

Been too hot to work on finishing the gel / body work .. not to mention it's summer and you are not supposed to work on a boat when it's summer. But there is a little black on it (remember the black if mostly filler to block it back out straight from the previous paint job debacle)...

I go on a run of 6 races in 7 weeks starting next week so not much will get done until October .. but plan on hitting it hard middle of October to hopefully have it wet by memorial day 2015. Tons of work .. but I think the finished deal will be worth it.

Now ... to head to Texoma for the last good weekend of the year before the real work starts again.