1973 CV19

InOverMyHead

Been awhile since I have done anything on the boat. With the nice weather this weekend I started tackling the grinding and prep for the floor and stringer work. Got the gas tank out and working on getting the front bulkhead out on one piece. Kind of difficult since they assemble it all before putting the cap on. Noticed that from the factory the center stringer was never capped and niether were the ends of the main stringers.

Hope to get a lot more grinding and clean up done this weekend so I can get started on the stringers. Never done this before so I'm kind of learning as I go. still holding to my goal of having it on the water this summer.
20140215_142152.jpg

20140215_153417.jpg

20140215_153411.jpg

Crusader

Good job, lotsa progress made on her. Don't get discouraged and be sure to use your resources on Texas Hot Boats for any questions you might have.

What kind of wood are you join to use for your stringers and floor? My recommendation is to use Douglas fir for the stringers and marine plywood for the floor. Also use epoxy resin for your fiberglass work.

InOverMyHead

Crusader said:
Good job, lotsa progress made on her. Don't get discouraged and be sure to use your resources on Texas Hot Boats for any questions you might have.

What kind of wood are you join to use for your stringers and floor? My recommendation is to use Douglas fir for the stringers and marine plywood for the floor. Also use epoxy resin for your fiberglass work.

Wish I had more pictures of progress but I did make some head way today. More grinding and grinding and grinding... did i say grinding? Tons of soggy rotten wood removal. Its a beating and I dont feel like much was done-when I'm outside my son wants outside so its hard to watch him amd grind lol.

Yes I'm going with Douglas fir for the stringers and treated plywood for the floor. I have watched all of "friscojarrets" videos on YouTube and it has helped me immensely. I am just not sure if I will go with polyester or epoxy resin. Frisco used polyester on his latest glastron build and I liked what he did with it. Still have a week or two worth of work before I get to the point of ordering the supplies. I do know I'm going to layer it up with 1708 and csm and pretty much follow how he did it in the videos.  Definitely overwhelming. I"m beat from all the trips in and out of the boat for tools I forgot.

Crusader

Awesome!

Glad you went to his videos, I used his advice and it helped me immensely.

You said "Treated plywood? Please don't use treated plywood....the treatment is only a bug repellant and the wood is still wet. If you use treated plywood, it'll rot out on you faster than if you used marine grade plywood that is dry as moisture is what rots wood. Please do not use treated plywood in your build......you'll be doing this all over again in 5-7 years.

Epoxy resin has a mechanical bond whereas the poly is a chemical bond. Whenever you add something to fiberglass, especially if you're not 100% sure what type of resin was used to build your boat with, always use the epoxy. Poly will end up peeling in a year or two....

InOverMyHead

I meant to say marine grade... i have a few sheets in the garage already. Dropping little man off at daycare and gonna get after it again.

Crusader

InOverMyHead said:
I meant to say marine grade... i have a few sheets in the garage already. Dropping little man off at daycare and gonna get after it again.

Phew........glad you are using it. Lol...

ChryslerJet

InOverMyHead said:
Been awhile since I have done anything on the boat. With the nice weather this weekend I started tackling the grinding and prep for the floor and stringer work. Got the gas tank out and working on getting the front bulkhead out on one piece. Kind of difficult since they assemble it all before putting the cap on. Noticed that from the factory the center stringer was never capped and niether were the ends of the main stringers.

Same scenario as with my CJ that's why I removed the cap to get all the stringers foam and what was left of the floor out.  I am going to put the cap back on before putting in the stringers to make sure they are set right but the transom is a lot easier with the cap removed on this boat.

InOverMyHead

Transom will be coming out in a few days but I'm not pulling the cap to do it. The transom on this should be a bit easier than most. I put in a good four hours or so on it today but had to give up... I'm so damn sore after 3 straight days of doing it I can barely stand... that and I burned up another multi tool cutting the stringers out. Thank god for harbor freight and the replacement warranty.