100,000 mile tune-up

Crusader

ChryslerJet said:
Crusader said:
I've never flushed out a brake system ever. I don't see the need for it unless you are sure it has water in it.
Brake Fluid is designed to break down by absorbing water that will develop in the braking system.  It does not have to be changed often but should be flushed out periodically.

Just like A/C driers/accumulators should be changed out every 5-7 years whether its needed or not.  If you do that you can pretty much go a lifetime with an A/C Compressor.  Typically what destroys the compressors is moisture which is what the drier/accumulator is for to remove that moisture.  Changing the drier/accumulator, vacuuming the system and installing fresh freon typically can extend the life of a working compressor for quite a while.

That was my point dude!

veestyle

ChryslerJet said:
Crusader said:
I've never flushed out a brake system ever. I don't see the need for it unless you are sure it has water in it.
Brake Fluid is designed to break down by absorbing water that will develop in the braking system.  It does not have to be changed often but should be flushed out periodically.

Just like A/C driers/accumulators should be changed out every 5-7 years whether its needed or not.  If you do that you can pretty much go a lifetime with an A/C Compressor.  Typically what destroys the compressors is moisture which is what the drier/accumulator is for to remove that moisture.  Changing the drier/accumulator, vacuuming the system and installing fresh freon typically can extend the life of a working compressor for quite a while.

So based on that should i change the air in my tires also? air gets stale, rubber rots? huh?

jdeaton

I do have a boat to build, but I need transportation to go to my job to make money to pay for parts for my boat, and I don't want to buy a new truck, if I don't absolutely have to.  So according to this group of brainiacs, I should do it myself, change the brake fluid, plugs, change the transmission fluid, and change the filter in the transmission, replace the dryer in the air conditioner.  Anything else? 

Devilman

LOL, all I would say is this: How is it running & performing now. I mean if it has 99,872.6 miles on it & it is acting no differently than it was a week ago, I probably wouldn't do chit. Mileage is like age, its just a number. If the brakes ain't squealing, leave 'em alone. Throw an oil change at it if its been a while or 6000 miles or so since the last one. Changing antifreeze? Never heard of that as any kind of routine maintenance, but whatever. I myself wouldn't do it, and never heard of a reason to do so. Only time ya fukk with the radiator/antifreeze is if ya got a leak so you got to top it off every so often, lol. I don't know how you drive your truck, so transmission fluid situation is up to you, but if you did it, I'd go with a fluid & filter change, just a flush seems pointless to me. Plugs, wires.. is it running bad? If its running fine now I doubt you'd even notice a difference other than your wallet is a little lighter. Jeez, I never knew Chevys were so sensitive, lol.

That's just me though, your mileage may vary.. :wink: :grin:

KONA77

AT this point...  I must ask what service does my ford need at 375,000,  damn glad its not a GM  :smile16:

jdeaton

Kona Don't get me and Henry started on the dependability of Ford trucks. If you were one of the lucky people to buy a 2002 or later Ford Powerstroke, then you know about the EGR Valve problem that costs upwards of $3000.00 to have fixed.  I still have the truck, but installed the EGR delete kit to keep it running. 

I guess this will turn into a Ford VS Chevy tag now. whatever.gif

Devilman

DiamondJim said:
Kona Don't get me and Henry started on the dependability of Ford trucks. If you were one of the lucky people to buy a 2002 or later Ford Powerstroke, then you know about the EGR Valve problem that costs upwards of $3000.00 to have fixed.  I still have the truck, but installed the EGR delete kit to keep it running. 

speaking of that, saw on another site where there was some sort of class action deal going with Ford diesels of that era. I don't know the details, may be worth looking into?

far as the 100K tune up on your Chevy, after giving it a little more thought I wonder if you shouldn't just gut it,  pull the cap off it, & worry about it later. j/k :cheesy:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
On a Chevy, tune it up and change the tranny filter if it has one. Like Duane said, no power flush! And If the brake fluid is black or dark colored you can flush it. If it is nice and clear let it rock! :smile30:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
What the hell is fresh freon? 25 years in automotive A/C I don't know that I have had to exchange old freon for some fresh freon. think.gif

KONA77

Patchman said:
What the hell is fresh freon? 25 years in automotive A/C I don't know that I have had to exchange old freon for some fresh freon. think.gif

25 yrs?  your not old enough,  you sound like CJ  :smile26:

Knotty Girl

DiamondJim said:

Amen Brotha

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Since 1988, it's 2013 so in my version of this world that is 25 years. think.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, the fresh Freon reminds me of a story! I once had a mechanic, about 15 years senior too me! He told me that the car wasn't cooling well because the Freon lost it's ice crystals. I asked him where did he think they went. Naturally he didn't know, so I didn't let him work on any more A/c jobs! :smile30:

customtouch

Patchman said:
You know, the fresh Freon reminds me of a story! I once had a mechanic, about 15 years senior too me! He told me that the car wasn't cooling well because the Freon lost it's ice crystals. I asked him where did he think they went. Naturally he didn't know, so I didn't let him work on any more A/c jobs! :smile30:

After that did he start collecting old junk boats and cutting the caps off of them? think.gif :grin:

Knotty Girl

DiamondJim said:
I have already joined the lawsuit for the defective diesels. clap.gif

That 6.0 was the sorriest POS ever put in a truck. At 100k I lost EGR then High pressure oil pump then it blew up.  I have a 6.7 now and very happy with it.

FL350

Administrator
Might as well change the blinker fluid and change the muffler bearing.
I don't buy into all that stuff.