100,000 mile tune-up

jdeaton

My 2008 GMC is coming up on the 100,000 mile tune up.  This one changes all the fluids, trans, brakes, antifreeze, plugs and plug wires.  Should I do it? I have heard different opinions around the beer cooler over the years and would like another opinion.  It cost $1000.00, at the Chevy House, and I would rather put the money in (well you know)  my boat.

Devilman

for 1000 bux, hell no.. :grin: that all seems like pretty minor stuff other than the transmission. I can understand if you are limited on time, but are there no other shops that you'd trust to do that stuff?

Some of that stuff I'm not sure I'd even fukk with just because a certain amount of mileage came up.

Crusader

The ONLY thing I don't do on my truck is change the transmission fluid, I've taken it to the Ford house for that every 30,000 miles. I've done all of the other required maintenance myself and saved a ton of cheddar. You can easily do this work yourself.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Do it yourself! Worst case scenario, call your neighbor! Mike knows all that stuff! :smile30:

duanehydro

If that transmission has never had a service, I highly recommend you leave it alone. If it's been done every 30-40k, you will be ok. Problem is, in a flush, you end up flushing the clutch material out with the old fluid. Just my 2 cents.

FormulaZR

Duanehydro said:
If that transmission has never had a service, I highly recommend you leave it alone. If it's been done every 30-40k, you will be ok. Problem is, in a flush, you end up flushing the clutch material out with the old fluid. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this 100%. IF you're going to do a transmission fluid change, I always prefer dropping the pan and changing the filter while you're there. Messier and doesn't get all the old fluid out...but doesn't stir up the trash in the bottom of the pan.

The 08 has the Dex-Cool right? If so...I would change it.

I bet you could do all of that yourself for under $400.

Devilman

Duanehydro said:

Is that just a Chevy thing or for anything, because I have heard this as well. Was never sure if it was an old wives tale or what. We had the Dodge transmission done once a few years ago(new fluid & filters) with no adverse effects. Got over 100k on it now & still no issues (so far). :undecided: :cheesy:

duanehydro

Drop the pan, replace filter, refill the 5-6 quarts lost. Good to go. Even the filter is iffy...normally don't really need it, but while you are there...because if there is anything in the filter, it's pretty much o/h time.

Devilman

Crusader said:
The transmission in my truck doesn't even have a filter...

2005 Ford F-150 XLT

I asked about replacing the fuel filter on Carole's Dodge & was told they don't have one, wtf... :cheesy:

Devilman

Duanehydro said:
nope, only the sock in the tank. :smile20:

yup... thought that was strange, but what can ya say, lol...

Duanehydro said:
:smile16: don't make me post a picture of a tranny in socks.... :smile14:

Please don't, PM it to him if you must. He already has a pic of one on his boat though so keep that in mind. lol :grin:

jdeaton

As an added note, the GM dealer has a pump to pump fluid through the transmission so it is completely clean, my normal mechanic does not  have one.  Other than that he can do everything.  They even recommend changing the brake fluid.

Crusader

I've never flushed out a brake system ever. I don't see the need for it unless you are sure it has water in it.

ChryslerJet

Crusader said:
I've never flushed out a brake system ever. I don't see the need for it unless you are sure it has water in it.
Brake Fluid is designed to break down by absorbing water that will develop in the braking system.  It does not have to be changed often but should be flushed out periodically.

Just like A/C driers/accumulators should be changed out every 5-7 years whether its needed or not.  If you do that you can pretty much go a lifetime with an A/C Compressor.  Typically what destroys the compressors is moisture which is what the drier/accumulator is for to remove that moisture.  Changing the drier/accumulator, vacuuming the system and installing fresh freon typically can extend the life of a working compressor for quite a while.

duanehydro

DiamondJim said:
As an added note, the GM dealer has a pump to pump fluid through the transmission so it is completely clean, my normal mechanic does not  have one.  Other than that he can do everything.  They even recommend changing the brake fluid.
That's what I mean....completely clean= slipping in 2 months or less. Do NOT recommend. Been a dealership tech now for 35 years...we refuse to flush transmissions, just for that reason.

duanehydro

ChryslerJet said:
Crusader said:
Brake Fluid is designed to break down by absorbing water that will develop in the braking system.  It does not have to be changed often but should be flushed out periodically.

Just like A/C driers/accumulators should be changed out every 5-7 years whether its needed or not.  If you do that you can pretty much go a lifetime with an A/C Compressor.  Typically what destroys the compressors is moisture which is what the drier/accumulator is for to remove that moisture.  Changing the drier/accumulator, vacuuming the system and installing fresh freon typically can extend the life of a working compressor for quite a while.
Don't you have a boat to build?