Stupid question

sturat

Is there any other place where the hin would be other than the left rear transom???
Just went out to the new ride to pencil trace the hin and nothing there. Not sure if when they added the swim platforms they covered it up but the bracket for the platform is not all that wide maybe 2" and i know hin is gernerally longer than that???

sturat

SlowRyd said:
Mines on the right side of the transom
Yeah that is what i meant to say.. see I said stupid question

BTW still not there and that is the side i was looking at just need to go back to school with my 5yr daughter or maybe i can just ask her tonight which is left and right

Disturbed

It wasn't a requirement until...........some year.  :huh:  I don't remember.  I'll see if I can find out.  What year do you think it is? 

Disturbed

Found it!

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat. The HIN has an important safety purpose. It enables manufacturers to clearly identify for boat owners the boats that are involved in a defect notification and recall campaign. A HIN is not the same as a State registration number, which may be required to be displayed on the bow of your boat. The HIN is a Federal requirement; your boat’s registration number is a State requirement similar to the license plate on your car. The HIN, however, is required to be shown on the State certificate of registration.

Devilman

Thought it was early 70s, like 72 or 73 before the HIN # was a requirement. Wonder if that is not original gel, it got filled in with paint? Mine is pretty hard to read for that reason, you wouldn't even notice it was there unless you were actually looking for it.

TintMan

I had a Kustom Kraft that had the hin # underneath the deck.It was hard to get to...but it was there. :smile15:

Candygirl

on that rapid craft that duke had the hin was under the dash. it was actually a business card with the # on it. i couldn't trace it so i took a pic of it,and tpwd accepted that no prob.

wolfman0613

somtime they put them on the inside of the transom on the starboard side.I dont think that boat is that old though.I know ABYC sets the standard for boat builders I am almost certain it is required to put them on the starboard side (outside ) transom

3boatpaul

coolglastron said:
Found it!

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat. The HIN has an important safety purpose. It enables manufacturers to clearly identify for boat owners the boats that are involved in a defect notification and recall campaign. A HIN is not the same as a State registration number, which may be required to be displayed on the bow of your boat. The HIN is a Federal requirement; your boat’s registration number is a State requirement similar to the license plate on your car. The HIN, however, is required to be shown on the State certificate of registration.
    on my di-marko hydro the number is on outside transom centered at bottom right above the drain hole
    BUT is only a 3 didget number with a dash 2  but this a drag hydro and has never been  regestered

Blender Man

I belive it was not untill 1974 that they were made to install hin on the boats. I say this caues I have a 72 sleekcraft that as no #'s on it and have gone a couple of rounds with man on this... :smile13:

sturat

it is a 1975 tahiti it was converted to an open bow in 84/86 by wilkes marine and was painted at that time i will crawl under the dash and pull the motor cover when it dries out. thanks for the tips guys/gal

sturat

all else fails i can get the 1" steel stamps and a pice of scrap flat bar out  :smile23: :smile23: :smile23: :smile23:

wolfman0613

Hey Stu, I have had a few boats in the past that have had paint and body shops (automotive) do work on the hulls and paint over the HIN.It might be there ,just painted over.

77Jet Star

MR.X said:
probably nothing at all wrong with this, the boat is probably just stolen, with a different title on it :smile15: :smile15:
At least Mr.X is looking on the bright side.Always think positive.  :smile15:

sturat

MR.X said:
probably nothing at all wrong with this, the boat is probably just stolen, with a different title on it :smile15: :smile15:
good call glass is half full not half empty