Sand in the Block

TahitiRat

Hope everone had a good christmas and new year. I pulled the block drains and had a lot of sand in the block  how can I flush the sand out. Thanks Eric

KONA77

The first thing that comes to mind would be to pop the freeze plugs and flush,  maybe someone else has a different or better way

KONA77

as many times i have sucked up sand,  i know mine needs to be flushed,  and you have just confirmed it for me

duanehydro

Stay off the sandbars!
141937_3_200.gif

Devilman

I've never done it either, can only imagine what it looks like in there, lol.. If I pull it to swap pans or whatever, I will definitely be flushing the block. Be easy with it up out of the boat.

Christmas & New Years was pretty good Eric, hope ya'lls was good too.

KONA77

yep it looks like i will be adding one more thing to the to do list,  sure is getting long.... leave it to eric to bring something like that to mind  haha

TahitiRat

Devilman said:
I've never done it either, can only imagine what it looks like in there, lol.. If I pull it to swap pans or whatever, I will definitely be flushing the block. Be easy with it up out of the boat.

Christmas & New Years was pretty good Eric, hope ya'lls was good too.

Was great spent 12 Days back home in New Mexico (lockheed shuts down for christmas and new years got to love that), must have shot 500 rounds through my Glock and then reloaded them all was awsome. Outher than that just drank beer and whisky with my Dad and brother. Great time

I'm glad I could help Roger dont want you to get lazy.

Devilman

TahitiRat said:
Was great spent 12 Days back home in New Mexico (lockheed shuts down for christmas and new years got to love that), must have shot 500 rounds through my Glock and then reloaded them all was awsome. Outher than that just drank beer and whisky with my Dad and brother. Great time

I'm glad I could help Roger dont want you to get lazy.

Very cool, sounds like a helluva time...

TahitiRat

COONASS said:
KONA77 said:
yep it looks like i will be adding one more thing to the to do list,  sure is getting long.... leave it to eric to bring something like that to mind  haha

Have you check'd your sheet rock lately lol

One more thing to do Roger

turboed-tx-20

been their done that.not sure if you have a ford or a chevy but they are probobly both the same.sand will collect in the back of the block and creat hot spots.several years one winter i tore the motor down and  found # 8 piston  had some galding? on it.If i wouldn't of done the tear down it could of got ugly.it wouldn't of made another season.
I would try to backflush it,on chevy you would have to take the intake off and flush back through the head.Don't know if that would work or not.I know you ain't gonna want to hear this but if it was me i would remove motor, inspect pistons,tip block up on end and backflush.That might be overkill,but just throwing my experience out their. I'd for sure figure out how to get the sand out of it.
If it's a ford,how close to the back of the block is the plug?