RIP LS1 1997-2013

txliberator

Looks as though it's the beginning of the end for the greatest light truck motor of all time. GM is moving on. Can't wait to hear about how this one is going to be the most bad ass thing you can put between the stringers.... :rolleyes: Oh yeah they are calling yet another motor the LT1, lame!!

Pontiac — General Motors Co. Wednesday debuted its all-new small-block, LT1 6.2-liter V-8 engine, which will power the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette.

In what GM is calling the most significant redesign in its history, the fifth-generation small block will include a direct injection fuel system and active fuel management, or cylinder deactivation, which helps it achieve greater fuel efficiency and will give owners more miles out of a gallon of gas.

GM said it will build the new engine at its Tonawanda Engine Plant in Buffalo, N.Y.

"The engine, if you talk to our customers, that's the heart of the beast," said Tadge Juechter, executive chief engineer of the Corvette, during a media unveiling at GM's Powertrain Engineering Center in Pontiac.

The new small-block will be under the hood of the redesigned Corvette, which the automaker will reveal Jan. 13 at a Detroit area event. It will be just a day ahead of the start of press days for the North American International Auto Show.

GM's engineers started over redesigning the engine using just a handful of existing parts. They worked to make it as compact and lightweight as possible but while ensuring high performance.

Juechter said the base 2014 Corvette will generate at least 450 horsepower or greater. The all-new Corvette also is expected to generate 450 foot-pounds of torque and achieve more than 26 miles per gallon fuel economy.

"We are confident today we'll be zero to 60 seconds in less than 4 seconds and that is on the entry-level vehicle," Juechter said.

The Corvette small block engine for the first time includes direct injection and active fuel management, which saves fuel by deactivating four of the eight cylinders in light load situations such as coasting on an exit ramp or cruising speed on the highway. The engine also uses continuously variable valve timing to aid in fuel economy.

"Our objective for the development of the all-new LT1 was to raise the bar for performance car engines," Mary Barra, senior vice president of global product development, said in a statement. "We feel that we have achieved that by delivering a true technological masterpiece that seamlessly integrates a suite of advanced technologies that can only be found on a handful of engines in the world.

The all-new Corvette will arrive on dealer lots late next year.

The LT1 is the first engine GM is revealing in its fifth-generation of small block engines. The small blocks likely also will power GM's all-new 2014 full-size pickups and SUVs.

txliberator

Purdy ain't it?? :grin:

2014-6.2L-V8-VVT-DI-LT1-COR-LFH-DI-Fuel-System-640x512.jpg

spd500

I would bet the short block is all the same as the 6.2 in production now . I don't really see the direct injection and fuel managment system being much of a selling point for upgrading in a marine application , but it sounds like a pretty awesome motor .

spd500

Mike S said:
I like fuel mileage  :smile30:

I have to laugh at that one  :smile30: do you own anything other than the fish slayer that's under 500 cubic inches ? think.gif

FormulaZR

I am anxious to see this in the hands of the aftermarket.

Hopefully the lifter design has been improved upon, but the direct injection is definitely a step in the right direction.

The exhaust flange has a different bolt pattern than current Gen3/4 engines...but I wonder if port spacing has changed?

Slightly splayed valves, 12.5/12* valve angle, and change in intake port. Looks like very few parts with interchange...but if the engine proves itself; I think we'll all forgive that!

Also...cam driven fuel pump for the direct injection.

ChryslerJet

For an all new block there are a lot of similarities to the gen4 engines just looks like a  lot of design changes.  Like the heads look almost identical except for swapping the valves and the intake and exhaust runner changes needed Other than that the bolt hole design appears to be almost identical like you could physically bolt a gen4 head to a gen5 block not that it would work all that well or any better.  I guess they just go with what they know and go from there.  For the variable valve timing I can't see how you can do that with a camshaft, I would have thought they would have used solenoid actuated valves to accomplish this then they could truly shut down cylinders by leaving the exhaust open enough to not build pressure and not impact the piston and keeping the intake closed.  With the coil per cylinder its easy enough to shut down spark and with the direct injection without a electronic valve or injector can't think on how they are shutting down the fuel.  It's all great technology not necessarily all new tech though since Mercedes has been doing direct injection for over 30 years for gasoline cars.

It's cool just not sure its all that just yet.

Devilman

GM/Chevy is just now doing the cylinder deactivation thing, or just on this engine? Not exactly new technology... Dodge been doing it for awhile now.

spd500

Devilman said:
GM/Chevy is just now doing the cylinder deactivation thing, or just on this engine? Not exactly new technology... Dodge been doing it for awhile now.

GM has been doing it for a long time , this is the first Corvette with it . I really don't see the point in alot of the things they are doing with this motor . Corvette guys want performance more than they want fuel economy . Why the hell would they have a motor that has a fuel shut off at 6600 RPM ? The current motor that is in the Corvette is just starting to make good power at 6600 . I think it's alot of press over nothing .

FormulaZR

SPD said:
Devilman said:

GM has been doing it for a long time , this is the first Corvette with it . I really don't see the point in alot of the things they are doing with this motor . Corvette guys want performance more than they want fuel economy . Why the hell would they have a motor that has a fuel shut off at 6600 RPM ? The current motor that is in the Corvette is just starting to make good power at 6600 . I think it's alot of press over nothing .

CAFE regulations

Devilman

SPD said:

I gotcha.... You make good points, I'd tend to agree with ya about the press thing. Maybe they trying to appeal to the tree hugger market as well as the performance crowd. :grin: I could see it on a daily driver type situation, even a highway cruiser, but something that will be driven aggressively it seems pointless. I dunno, I seriously doubt I will ever experience it anyway, lol.

SimplyOrange

the govt is putting fuel economy regulations on everything for it to go into production, i read an article on it last year.

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
Ford already has direct injection! And I guess GM has had cylinder drop for awhile, remember the 468 v-8! :smile20: They where do a new motor though! :smile16:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1980-1989-cadillac2.htm

jimsplace

Wow

I thought I was of the old generation and behind the times. 
Variable valve timing has been used by GM for a length of time.  I have an Escalde that comes with the 6.2 motor and variable valve timing is standard.
When it comes to the fuel shut of for economy or whatever reason, why not.  If it doesn't need the fuel, then why waste it and if economy happens to be a benefit, then I am all for it.  When the engine is asked for more power
the fuel is back on and the power is there.

How do you think the Corvette gets 27-30 mpg and still has the performance it has?  It is a combination of valve timing, ignition and fuel management.
I don't know how it's done, other than its computer controlled, but it works.

I don't know how the internet works, but it does also.  As much as technology scares me, I intend to enjoy the benefits.
Sit back, and try to keep up.
        :smile17: