Project Y Knot

spd500

Jim just dropped off the TX19 . It has been a long day for the poor guy , picked up the boat and got on the road early this morning  only to get a few miles down the road and have a blow out . This was about the time he noticed that there were wheel locks on the wheels . He worked on it for awhile and got the wheel off of the trailer and backtracked to go get a decent used tire for the boat , went back and got the tire back on the boat and headed west . He got back on the road and made it almost to Texas before another blow out . He got the wheel lock off the wheel took it off the trailer and chained up the axle and slowly headed west while looking for another decent used tire . I called ahead and found one in Vidor , so he stopped in Vidor to get a tire on the wheel . Finally he had enough rubber under the trailer to make it the rest of the way here to drop the boat off . I can't say enough how thankful I am that he was willing to bring the boat home for me , and how happy I am that he stayed the course and didn't leave the boat in Louisianna after all the problems . Hopefully the little bit of money that I gave him was enough to make it worth his trouble . We knew the boat was in rough shape , but was of the belief that the trailer would make the trip without problems . I was thinking I would take the boat to the house and park it out in the pasture for now , but I am not sure it will make the trip without a new set of tires .

customtouch

I had the same problem when I went to get the Cole (minus the locking lug). I had eight good tires & wheels at home and was going to take a full set to change them out but the guy kept telling me the ones on the trailer were good. I could tell at a glance when I got there that they were junk and I didn't make it ten miles before having two blow outs. Had to limp it in to Houston and buy another brand new full set of tires for it. I was pissed but learned a lesson and I will take my own tires next time (if there is one).

spd500

Yeah,  I have new tires on my boat here at the shop too.  But at least the bearings and all that held up for the trip and it was only a few tires.  The trailer will get a complete rebuild before it leaves town again, including new tires  :smile30:

customtouch

spd500 said:
Yeah,  I have new tires on my boat here at the shop too.  But at least the bearings and all that held up for the trip and it was only a few tires.  The trailer will get a complete rebuild before it leaves town again, including new tires  :smile30:

I have some 14" tires mounted on chrome directionals I might be able to make you a deal on if you are interested.

spd500

It will be awoke before I am worried about buying tires for this one.  The boat needs to be completely rebuilt.  There is not a single piece of wood in the boat that I am going to leave, I am going to tear all of it out and redo it. The dash is like Swiss cheese, probably has at least 20 holes in it for gauges and switches that will all be filled in.  The gel coat is in really bad shape, I will probably grind it all down and redo that too.  The trailer is really not much better. It has alot of rust and will need a major overhaul, and has no fenders on it at all right now. This is going to be a long term project, after I finish the one I am in the middle of now.  I do already have some nice parts to go on this boat though. With a nice twin Turbo LS motor it will make a really nice river boat.

spd500

ChryslerJet said:
glad you got it home safely.  Good Job Jim with the helping hand.  Now wheres the pics??

I will try to get a bunch of pics taken this morning when I get into the shop. I was worn out by the end of the day yesterday, it was a really busy day at the shop plus the added stress of hoping Jim wasn't going to end up stranded with the boat. I truely believe he would have rebuilt the trailer along the way if he had to,  but I sure am glad it didn't get that bad.

spd500

OK , here are a few pics of how the boat arrived at my shop . It is in worse shape now than it was in the pics in the ad , but it will all work out  :smile30:

spd500

I know for sure that the metal frame that was installed to replace the bulkhead has got to go . I have not yet checked the stringers with an ice pick , but I suspect that they need to be replaced . On the upside , the trailer did come with a bearing buddy , one one hub . I will strip this one down to nothing but fiberglass and start from there , it will be a long term project . I will keep y'all posted on the progress as I go , and probably have lots of questions for the people here who know more about fiberglass than me .

spd500

Mattie has decided that she wants to help shoot the paint on this one , should be a good learning experience for her . She also said that she wants this one to be purple  think.gif If it ends up purple , with a stout LS motor in it , I think I will call it the "Purple Pickle Eater"  :smile30: I wanna see if I can get enough power out of an LS to be able to run down Mike's Nordic  :smile26: after he puts the little motor in the Nordic of course  :smile30:

460rogers

Looks like it has been sitting for a long time.
Will for sure need new stringers and holes filled in dash.
Makes me miss my winger.
Good luck,take your time and do it right.
Should really fly with that much power.

jdeaton

I slept in this morning, it was a rather long day yesterday.  I'm glad Shannon has this project and not me. When you all see his Kona and the job he did on it, WOW, very impressive.  The TX will be an awsome project, that I'm glad I could be a small part in.

As a footnote:  If you want me to pick up another boat and bring it home for you, let me know early, so I can bring my own tires.
Lesson learned.  LMAO!  jump.gif 

spd500

I was going to see if you wanted to come over and help grind out all the old fiberglass to replace the stringers and transom  think.gif I know you have had plenty of practice with the Liberator  :smile30:

spd500

DiamondJim said:
Gee I would but I never got the grinding down to the degree of excellence you are looking for! :smile30:

You probably just need more practice  think.gif

spd500

I know I said I wouldn't work on it until the Kona was finished , but I got a little bit of sanding done on the TX this evening  jump.gif I didn't have enough time to really do much to the Kona , so I spent about 30  minutes sanding part of the front deck down . It has a ton of cracking from sun damage , but it does sand somewhat easily . I worked on it for 30 minutes and got about 3 square feet sanded down good enough to be ready for primer . The silver parts of the hull are not nearly as cracked up and dry as the parts that are red , to get past the cracking I am having to sand almost all of the red color off of the hull . I will be back to getting the Kona put together tomorrow and Monday , but will probably continue to plug away at this one here and there when I have a few minutes of free time .