Need alittle help

KONA77

stangcorey said:
Unfortunately, the Lucas didn't work for me. I let it run for 30min yesterday on the hose and then took it out today on the bayou but same thing. I cant get over 3800rpm, bogging down or hesitating when accelerating, and its not starting without spraying engine starting fluid.

Any chances this couldnt be the carb? I talked to our mechanic out at the airport and he said he'd rebuild it for me for $75 plus whatever cost of the kit. He thinks it could be the accelerator pump...

it was worth the try, but i would say that was not enough time to desolve anything that might have it slugged up,  and also i just might be time to rebuild......  has the carb sat for a while?  do you have a new fuel filter in it?,  does the carb have any fuel or air leaks?  have you checked the timing and what does your plugs look like?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
The accelerator pump is not working apparently. The kits for the Holleys are cheap at Oreilly's. They usually have one of each in stock. If you don't have a Holley, then let us know what you have. Let your friend rebuild it if you are not comfortable with it. If you were closer to the north side I would help you out! Or you can make a road trip and bring it to me! :shocked:

Disturbed

Patchman said:
The accelerator pump is not working apparently. The kits for the Holleys are cheap at Oreilly's. They usually have one of each in stock. If you don't have a Holley, then let us know what you have. Let your friend rebuild it if you are not comfortable with it. If you were closer to the north side I would help you out! Or you can make a road trip and bring it to me! :shocked:

You could check the accelerator pump then change it with out putting in a kit.  I'm assuming you checked or replaced the fuel filter and verified good pressure from the fuel pump.  :smile30: 

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I run a 1/2 qt of atf in my tanks. It will burn and you will never notice. It also helps lubricate everything, especially the  needle and seats that like to stick with this sh!t azz gas we run!

Devilman

Patchman said:
I run a 1/2 qt of atf in my tanks. It will burn and you will never notice. It also helps lubricate everything, especially the  needle and seats that like to stick with this sh!t azz gas we run!

Do you do that all the time, or just every now & then?

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
All the time! 1/2 qt to 20 gallons. No it doesn't smoke! Did that on the 4x4's and even my lawnmower. I hate sticking floats and haven't had a problem since. :smile16:

Devilman

Cool, hadn't heard of that before. I have heard of people dumping it down the carb of a running motor to "clean things up" inside. Buddy of mine did it at the house once. Now that did make some smoke, lol.... :grin:

Patchman

Administrator
Staff member
I bet, I have done that with Marvel's oil. I love that stuff! But atf is cheaper and works great.

KONA77

marvel mystery oil is some great stuff,  it does the same thing that the lucus does but without the diesel smoke,  great for sticky lifters and valves,  great for starting a motor that has sit for awhile  :smile30:

badblood

stangcorey said:
Unfortunately, the Lucas didn't work for me. I let it run for 30min yesterday on the hose and then took it out today on the bayou but same thing. I cant get over 3800rpm, bogging down or hesitating when accelerating, and its not starting without spraying engine starting fluid.

Any chances this couldnt be the carb? I talked to our mechanic out at the airport and he said he'd rebuild it for me for $75 plus whatever cost of the kit. He thinks it could be the accelerator pump...
  If it wont start without using starting fluid, I would say it is just the carb. You should take the squirter off and check it for debris, it is not uncommon for them to get stopped up with a little trash. This will make them stop squirting. It would explain the bogg when taking off. Next check the bowl levels to see if both bowls have fuel. A dry bowl will cause it to run like crap. Good luck

stangcorey

The squirters looked okay and I didnt see anything that looks out of the norm. My carb is the holley 47772 does anyone have experience with this model? I'm out of town this weekend but will take a closer look tomorrow. Patchman, thanks for the offer about the help. I may attempt it myself and see how it goes beginning of this week. Hopefully I will be out on the water next weekend

duanehydro

that's a basic 650 double pumper, rebuild them all the time. There should be plently people that can help you in your area, if not you can ship it to me for a 2 day turn around, 75bucks + kit.

spd500

My Stevens started doing the same thing and I thought fuel filters , carb , fuel pump , etc and went through several things before I finally found the problem . Mine didn't have a gauge on the fuel rail at the time and it ended up being a failing fuel pressure regulator .

stangcorey

I checked the fuel pressure today and it was right at 5... then something weird happen. I was running the boat and it was around 1000rpm gunned it, it backfired and killed the engine. Somehow that killed my battery?? Is that even possible to fry your battery? It wasnt hot or anything but now my battery is dead... I'm pretty sure I shouldnt touch anything from now on because when I try to fix something I end up breaking it more. Oh and I stripped out a hole on the exhaust manifold tightening it today so now I need a tap and drill, ha I cant win.

I haven't read anything about "CHEMTOOL CARB CLEANER". TARGET THE AIR BLEEDS! YOU MIGHT CHECK THE POWER VALVE IF IT HAS ONE. MY 2 CENTS, JERRY

Disturbed

Duanehydro said:
I have seen batteries with dead internal shorts that cause weird stuff when they go... :smile23:

Kinda what I was thinkin.  I was thinking more along the lines of the alternator though.  Maybe the cause of everything.  Spiking the ignition on it's way to the grave...  A shorted battery could make the alternator weird out and, in turn, Jack up the ignition....  Just thinking out loud....

spd500

Not sure it is your problem , but I have always set my fuel pressure at 7 psi . Might check it at WOT and see if it is dropping off , that is what my regulator was doing when it went bad . The battery being bad is a weird deal , you can get all kinds of strange things happening when you drop voltage . If the alternator was good and the battery was bad it should stay running though . I would try charging the battery and see if it will take a charge . It is possible the alternator was discharging and drained the battery .