My new bullet

Chevy2184

I would have never thought it was the dizzy just because it seemed to do ok on the dyno? Glad Bert came over and talked me into trying it! Then he put the bug in my head that I might have left a little on the table on the dyno?? Hmmm? 

Sent from my shop setting in my boat making motor noises

FL350

Administrator
We had the same thing on one of my race motors last year! I spent an hour on the phone last fall with John Avery from Engine Dynamics, learned ALOT! I thought I knew ignitions systems. I didn't know shit!

Chevy2184

Let's see if we can get dis bitch to take the fuel now... 😎

aa38f0a9d75d1c78d924114901db6c93.jpg

Chevy2184

Well for sure NO more dead spot!! 👍🏻👍🏻 but pig fat at idle... Got to get it back on the hose and get the carb dialed in some more... Then time to stick the drive shaft in and see how she does...

Chevy2184

Gonna try to get it back on the hose tomorrow and see if we can get it dialed in a little closer... Pretty sure I still have some of your bud light in the fridge... 😎

Chevy2184

Well finally got to get it wet this evening... 80.4 and WAY lean at wot... Gonna fatten her up and try to tune back down to it? Has 94 jets all around? Gonna throw some 100's in it and see what she does? First time we pulled it off of the trailer and figured out the steering rack was backwards... Oops... 😎

73 Sanger Flat

Congratulation on getting it wet .. What size carb are you running ? I am running a 1050 that flows 1280 and I have 94 jets on all four corners and no power valve and on the Dyno it was good for the fuel curve .. Timing at 33*

Chevy2184

It's a 1150 quick fuel 3 circuit... Motor is set at 35* timing... Plugs were pretty white? And my headers were just starting to heat up in the bends? Carb is still bone stock from quick fuel... Pretty sure it has a 6.5" pv

73 Sanger Flat

My big engine  pump gas 601 did not like going from 33* to 34 or 35* .. Lost power quick on advancing the timing ..It is still pretty fat on the jetting at 33 right now .. Mine is a 3 circuit dominator ..  Might be able to change the airbleeds also to help it  .. Hope you get it dialed in and it runs out good for you ..

Chevy2184

I talked to quick fuel a little the other day and he said to drill my air bleeds from a .045 to .047 and see if that helped things at idle... Trying not to change to many things at one time? But might try bumping the timing back as well? Easy enough to try! Thanks billy...

73 Sanger Flat

baby steps is what they tell me .. good luck .. I get lost some time on the air bleeds and all those circuits .. and then the emulsion tubes and jets .. I need help on all of that .. I just do what they tell me .. LOL  --- I bought a set of air bleeds for tuning finally ..

jimsplace

Chevy2184 said:
I talked to quick fuel a little the other day and he said to drill my air bleeds from a .045 to .047 and see if that helped things at idle... Trying not to change to many things at one time? But might try bumping the timing back as well? Easy enough to try! Thanks billy...

If I understand correctly, your engine appears lean, is that correct?
I'm not sure why you would drill the air bleeds.  The idle mixture screw can be turned out over 2 1/2 turns to adjust the mixture and richen the idle.
If you haven't already done it, screw the idle mixture screws in all the way and make sure that each one is out exactly the same.

If you drill the air bleeds, that will lean the motor even more.

If you have turned the idle mixture screw out already, it would appear you would need smaller air bleeds.
As a temporary test for the smaller air bleed, put a fine piece of wire in your current air bleed.  It will cut off some air simulating a smaller air bleed.
Make sure the wire can't get out, as you don't want it to drop into the engine.
    :smile17:

jimsplace

Brazos River Rat ( Billy ) said:
baby steps is what they tell me .. good luck .. I get lost some time on the air bleeds and all those circuits .. and then the emulsion tubes and jets .. I need help on all of that .. I just do what they tell me .. LOL  --- I bought a set of air bleeds for tuning finally ..
Billy
It's in the books, it's all there.

When everything else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chevy2184

Jim it's still a little fat at idle... Where I was having the lean issue is at wot? But sure thinking billy is onto something backing the timing back down a few degrees... Witch might also help my fat at idle issue? Who knows? We have all the mixture screws turned in just until she stumbled and then back them up prob half a round? Just still a little fat at idle? That's why I was gonna take the main air bleeds from .045 to .047 just to see if it would idle a little cleaner? But I won't drill or jack with anything until I reset the timing and then try to retune the carb and see what it does?

jimsplace

Chevy2184 said:
Jim it's still a little fat at idle... Where I was having the lean issue is at wot? But sure thinking billy is onto something backing the timing back down a few degrees... Witch might also help my fat at idle issue? Who knows? We have all the mixture screws turned in just until she stumbled and then back them up prob half a round? Just still a little fat at idle? That's why I was gonna take the main air bleeds from .045 to .047 just to see if it would idle a little cleaner? But I won't drill or jack with anything until I reset the timing and then try to retune the carb and see what it does?

Ok, sorry for the misdirection.
I'll try again.  Is that where you get the best idle?
The engine will tell you what it wants.

Are the idle mixture screws all turned out the same amount?
I turned mine in all the way and put a mark at the top of the idle mixture screw for reference. (I used a magic marker)
Also, are the primary and secondary idle screw turned in the same?  Ideally they will be, but sometimes you play with that some.
The butterflies should just be into the transfer slot by .040 - .050 of an inch. (just barely)
The idle mixture screws need to be the same for all four corners.

Depending on the engine combination, the idle mixture may need to be rich.
When there are large cams and large carburetors involved, there just isn't enough air flow for the fuel mixtures to burn clean sometimes at slow idle.

Chevy2184

Thanks for the help Jim! That's where we got the best idle... Once we would get the best idle then we would start backing off the idle screws to get the idle back down then readjust the mixture screws, the back idle screw might be cracked a hair more than the front? But seemed like it liked it their? But they are pretty darn close...it's not terribly fat right now? But a little... If you start the boat in my little shop (my shop is pretty small) you don't want to be in their to long with it running... I think we are close? Gonna put some 97's in it and stick a data logger on it out of bert88 boat and see if we can get it on the fat side at wot and start backing into a decent tune?