Enforcer Project renamed, Junk Yard Dog.

neverenuf

I got this one last year from Ebay
270503_1644138721797_3588314_n.jpg

ChryslerJet

James

The powder coating looks real good.  I had always planned to setup a similar setup to powder coat small parts.  HF Gun and powder and an old oven.

blazeracer

We let everyone go from the fridge shop and it's just the wife and I there now. Been busy as hell with that and pee wee football taking up the evenings. One more week and football is over. Next is to glue the stringers down, then get it assembled.

blazeracer

Reading about stringers.... Seems boat builders back in the day used 1x6 aircraft grade douglass fir for stringer material. The aircraft grade stuff is a true 1" wide also, not the 3/4" you get from a lumber yard.

Another option is Microlam maufactured beams. It's a ply but all layers have the grain going in the same direction. Supposed to be 4 times stronger than solid wood and will never warp. A lot of guys on PB are talking about using it. After picking up Paul's TX-19 a couple of weeks ago I was surprised to find my hull is probably 100 or more pounds lighter. Might be going a different direction on this one...

I ask because the 2x6's in there now look HUGE and will make the boat heavier than it needs to be. 1x6 with a rail kit?

Oh, trailer is back from the sand blasters and looks great! I'll get it washed and in primer tomorrow.

KONA77

douglass fir is what i will probably use in my V-drive,  the fir checks less (cracks when dried) and doesn't warp....  I've seen many boats with the rough cut 1x6 in them...

thanks for an update  :smile17:

blazeracer

Just going with the 2x6 stringers that are already cut and shaped. I'm just gonna get it going with what I got. Anyway... now that peewee football is over, progress...

Got the stringers glued down and setting up over night with the help of Cliff's old heads. Also got the exhaust holes in the transom glassed in.

blazeracer

Experimenting with powder coat I read about doing a two stage thing with chrome powder on the base metal then translucent color on top of the chrome. The pic does it no justice at all. Color is deep and the gloss is unparalleled in the piece on the far side. I'll be doing the Glastron pump with this method over the winter.

I already did one stage powder on most of the Enforcer pump so just finished it up in one stage. All pump parts are now powdered and ready or assembly once I get the transom sanded and painted.

Also, Edward setting the driver's seat in place to fit him. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20121116_110712.jpg
    IMG_20121116_110712.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20121117_151501.jpg
    IMG_20121117_151501.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 96

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
Experimenting with powder coat I read about doing a two stage thing with chrome powder on the base metal then translucent color on top of the chrome. The pic does it no justice at all. Color is deep and the gloss is unparalleled in the piece on the far side. I'll be doing the Glastron pump with this method over the winter.

I already did one stage powder on most of the Enforcer pump so just finished it up in one stage. All pump parts are now powdered and ready or assembly once I get the transom sanded and painted.

Also, Edward setting the driver's seat in place to fit him. LOL
So based on the last pic I guess you will be keeping the Glastron for you and Edward is getting the Enforcer or at least thinks he is?

blazeracer

Probably keep the Glastron forever. Get a little use out of this boat then put it up for sale at the beginning of summer and start looking for a good pickle project that will be a candidate for a LS stroker motor.

blazeracer

Good source for Hexcel #7533 E-Glass used in boat construction and about two and half bucks cheaper per yard than Aeromarine.

http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Glass_Fabrics-Style_7533_X_50_in._5.6oz_Plai.html

Just noting it cause I need to buy about 20 yards.

blazeracer

20 yards of glass cloth will be here Thursday. In the meantime, had to get the suction housing done on the pump. It's already been rebuilt so I didn't want to take it apart and powder coat it. Just masked off everything and painted it with dark Ford blue VHT engine paint. The powder coat is dark Ford blue also and they almost match just right. Seeing how there will be a transom in between the two halves it should be good.

Got the B impeller installed also using my home made tool to hold the pump shaft.

Never even occurred to me to have to color the BACK side of the transom adapter, but I can paint it with the VHT paint also and it will match perfectly. Once the floor, transom and stringers are all glassed back in I'll paint the intake to match also.

Attachments

• CAM00026.jpg
    CAM00026.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 72

blazeracer

Thanks, should be glassed and painted this weekend, hopefully. Looking at the motor, I wish I had gotten a lighter color grey engine paint. It's a bit darker than the gray on the boat.

ChryslerJet

blazeracer said:
Thanks, should be glassed and painted this weekend, hopefully. Looking at the motor, I wish I had gotten a lighter color grey engine paint. It's a bit darker than the gray on the boat.
Once it's all together no one will notice when its flying by.